Author Topic: Who speaks Jewish well very well not Hebrew  (Read 12831 times)

Offline JTFFan

• Ultimate JTFer
Re: Who speaks Jewish well very well not Hebrew
« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2008, 02:22:31 PM »
According to Wikipedia

"The oldest surviving literary document in Yiddish is a blessing in a Hebrew prayer book from 1272"

So Yiddish is fairly old from about maybe the 1200's? ???

There are also some Slavic and Polish words in Yiddish I think ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yiddish

Offline Vito

• Master JTFer
« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2008, 02:24:20 PM »
yiddish sounds very annoying and irritating for me.

Aside from that, why would Jews continue to speak a language that is a result of oppression by the Germans? I say forget the Yiddish and learn Hebrew..
Who says it's the result of "opression"?  It's a beautiful language.

Yiddish
 was a secret German dialect among Jews..  they had no other reason to use a secret language other than oppression. As far as it being a beautiful langauge, to each is own I guess. I personally think it's annoying, but I like Hebrew a lot..

It's not much of a secret language.

Germans understand it very well.

Oh sure, I took courses in German and I can understand as much Yiddish as I do German, but the words that German speakers didn't understand were things like "schmuck, schlamil, putz".. etc

Offline jdl4ever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2008, 02:26:18 PM »
Yiddish originated around the year 1000 CE so it is 1000 years old.  That is why Yiddish is so important, since it was spoken for about 1000 years by nearly all the Jews of Europe which makes it the second oldest Jewish language spoken as it is tied for Aramaic in the duration of the language spoken.
"Enough weeping and wailing; and the following of leaders & rabbis who are pygmies of little faith & less understanding."
"I believe very much in a nation beating their swords into plowshears but when my enemy has a sword I don't want a plowshear"
-Rabbi Meir Kahane Zs'l HYD

Offline judeanoncapta

• Master JTFer
  • Rebuild it now!!!!
« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2008, 03:54:23 PM »
According to Wikipedia

"The oldest surviving literary document in Yiddish is a blessing in a Hebrew prayer book from 1272"

So Yiddish is fairly old from about maybe the 1200's? ???

There are also some Slavic and Polish words in Yiddish I think ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yiddish

Yes a few.

Zal is Russian, Zhabe is Polish so they are a few.
Post questions here for the ASK JUDEA TORAH SHOW

my blog: Yehudi-Nation

Who is truly wise? He who can see the future. I see tommorow today and I want to end it - Rabbi Meir Daweedh Kahana

Offline JTFFan

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2008, 03:56:33 PM »
Yiddish originated around the year 1000 CE so it is 1000 years old.  That is why Yiddish is so important, since it was spoken for about 1000 years by nearly all the Jews of Europe which makes it the second oldest Jewish language spoken as it is tied for Aramaic in the duration of the language spoken.

Thanks alot, jdl4ever, I didn't know this. O0

It's much older than I thought O0

That just shows you it is righteous and the second oldest Jewish language O0

Offline judeanoncapta

• Master JTFer
  • Rebuild it now!!!!
« Reply #55 on: January 25, 2008, 04:09:49 PM »

True but parts of the Tanakh are written in Aramaic not Yiddish.
Post questions here for the ASK JUDEA TORAH SHOW

my blog: Yehudi-Nation

Who is truly wise? He who can see the future. I see tommorow today and I want to end it - Rabbi Meir Daweedh Kahana

Offline OdKahaneChai

• Master JTFer
« Reply #56 on: January 26, 2008, 08:47:09 PM »
True but parts of the Tanakh are written in Aramaic not Yiddish.
Select words...

But it didn't originate as a Jewish language...

One does not deal with terrorists; one does not bargain with terrorists; one kills terrorists.
- Rabbi Meir Kahane ZT"L, HY"D