Author Topic: Women, singing and acting....  (Read 4544 times)

Offline Sarah

• Ultimate JTFer
Women, singing and acting....
« on: February 04, 2008, 06:36:37 PM »
In Judaism, i know a Jewish woman cannot sing in front of men right?

How about acting?

Reading the Torah?

Offline jdl4ever

• Master JTFer
Re: Women, singing and acting....
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 06:40:03 PM »
It depends who you ask .... if you ask me it is really permitted from the Torah for women to sing in public but many religious Jews impose an extra restriction on themselves not to listen to women singing in public.

In the books of the Prophets there are several instances where women sang in front of men, like the Prophetess D'vorah who sang a song of praise to G-d in public.  However most Rabbis are very strict and will not allow women to sing in front of men unless it is your immediate family. 

Reading the Torah in public is not allowed for women to do since it goes against ancient Jewish Tradition.  For thousands of years only men were allowed to read the Torah in Public and women or children were never allowed to do so.  Therefore it stays that way and reading the Torah in Public is exclusively a man's job.  The reason is probably due to modesty and men being distracted by the woman.

Also leading prayer in the synagague is like the Torah reading.  According to tradition a woman can't do this, only a man can lead the prayer. 

Acting probably will depend on who you ask; like singing.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 06:47:36 PM by jdl4ever »
"Enough weeping and wailing; and the following of leaders & rabbis who are pygmies of little faith & less understanding."
"I believe very much in a nation beating their swords into plowshears but when my enemy has a sword I don't want a plowshear"
-Rabbi Meir Kahane Zs'l HYD

Offline Sarah

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2008, 06:47:48 PM »
Thank you, thats a very good answer.

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2008, 08:26:21 PM »
Have you ever heard of the famous Indian Bollywood actress Aishwarya Rai? 

I think she's very classy, unlike most of the celebs in Hollyweird these days.  Anyway, I once read in an interview that she said she'd never ever do a kissing scene.  I saw her in the movie Devdas.  She was excellent, and there was no immodesty at all. 

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2008, 08:40:18 PM »
Still, Bollywood makes some good movies. 

Offline Tina Greco - Melbourne

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2008, 10:06:18 PM »
Have you ever heard of the famous Indian Bollywood actress Aishwarya Rai? 

I think she's very classy, unlike most of the celebs in Hollyweird these days.  Anyway, I once read in an interview that she said she'd never ever do a kissing scene.  I saw her in the movie Devdas.  She was excellent, and there was no immodesty at all. 

Kissing is not approved in their culture. I love bollywood films they are very good.

Offline Sarah

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2008, 05:11:26 PM »
So if acting is modest it is allowed? Does it matter if a woman raises her voice and is the centre of attention within a mixed audience?

Offline Tina Greco - Melbourne

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2008, 05:59:44 PM »
So if acting is modest it is allowed? Does it matter if a woman raises her voice and is the centre of attention within a mixed audience?

Most acting is that acting, take the old and spunky actress Mae West. She played the rule of a sexy cheeky woman, but in real life she was very modest righteous woman.  :)

Offline Sarah

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2008, 06:24:45 PM »

Most acting is that acting, take the old and spunky actress Mae West. She played the rule of a sexy cheeky woman, but in real life she was very modest righteous woman.  :)

Yes I like acting. To me its just an art form, ia way to express yourself.
Of course, it would NOT excuse acting out some inappropriate scenes, but even nowadays there are actresses who don't do nude scenes or "sex" scenes. And there are those who do.
My suggestion is to just READ the script before and see if you are ok with portraying the role you want. If you feel that you would not be able to do some scenes, its better to not do it, because if you take the role and then back away at a scene, the production will raise hell and make sure others find out you give the director a hard time. Especially when you're starting out, its best to be polite, do your work professionally and see what happens.

I enjoy acting as well. With plays it is probably a lot easier to escape most of the bad scenes and stuff.

Offline Sarah

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2008, 06:29:49 PM »
I enjoy acting as well. With plays it is probably a lot easier to escape most of the bad scenes and stuff.

Cool, I've never done a play before, I only do background acting. Nothing too serious, just for fun and part time.
I wish I could do a play someday, you're lucky to be involved with such things.  O0
Wow that is great, you do it professionally :). I'm just involved in the school and other small organised plays nothing big.

Offline Ari

• Master JTFer
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2008, 06:48:48 PM »
Have you been on any tv shows or in films, Mills.  I used to work in a talent agency in Manhattan and I know it can be a pretty rough profession. O0