Author Topic: Edited Title: Chaim and I agree on this ... as per this weeks Ask JTF.  (Read 28288 times)

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
Re: Edited Title: Chaim and I agree on this ... as per this weeks Ask JTF.
« Reply #75 on: February 11, 2008, 07:00:51 AM »
This much is clear in halacha. Killing someone in a vegetative state, is still murder.

I think leaving someone in pain and suffering is worse than murder.

G-d makes the rules. Not us.

First you need to accept that.

Later we can talk about why what G-d says here actually makes more sense than what you are saying. But that's for later.
First we need to understand whose world this is.

This is of course true. But how we interpret the rules during certain periods of time is what might be different between peoples
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

newman

« Reply #76 on: February 11, 2008, 07:13:12 AM »
Satan ? There's no Satan in Judaism ?
Yes there is. He's just not the christians' 'devil'/evil, rebel angel.

Satan is mentioned in the book of Job.

The 'Satan' of Judaism is an angel and servent of G_d who works under G_d's control. He is tasked with tempting us. He is also G-d's prosecutor. When we stand for judgement it is the Satan who reads our crimes and sins from the book much like the prosecuting attorney in a court.

........at least that's what I've been told.

Offline Lubab

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Master JTFer
« Reply #77 on: February 11, 2008, 12:20:38 PM »
I'm not telling anybody else what to do. I'm just saying what I would do and allowing others the privilage of doing the same.

I'll take my chances when the Satan reads out the charges against me at judgement. If they can make a reasonable case that I should have laid around for two or three more months in hideous suffering then I'll conceed the point.

Besides, don't the rabbis say that G-d isn't responsible for every single bad thing that happens to us? Like when a schvartza mugs and kills a good person it's not G-d killing them but the schvartza using his free will and evil inclinations.

If that's the case, a cancer caused by an irresposible factory owner leaking chemicals into the water supply is not G-d's doing.

Is this why we do the mitzvos? Only for fear of Divine judgement? You know Rambam says that someone who serves G-d this way is an "Am Haretz" (ignoramous). That is what we tell children so they will be good because they can't appreciate anything more than that.

An adult must develop and learn to do the Mitzvos because they are G-d's will and true and good in their own right...not because we concerned about our own personal welfare.

That's why I'm trying to get you to stop worrying about what Satan will say and stop and make an effort to see what G-d really demands of us. We Jews were always known as people of the book. We don't make this stuff up. When we have a question we look into the book G-d gave us and go get the answer.

Dr. Dan says that interpretations can vary and that's true, but not in this case. Not in a case of a proactive act to directly end the life.
There is no dispute about this. According to all opinions it is murder in the eyes of the Torah.

There is Satan in the torah, but it's not like people think.

"It is not upon you to finish the work, nor are you free to desist from it." Rabbi Tarfon, Pirkei Avot.

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #78 on: February 11, 2008, 12:24:51 PM »
I'm still waiting for the Biblical/Talmudic evidence...

Offline abdithefaithful

• Full JTFer
« Reply #79 on: February 11, 2008, 12:57:38 PM »
Let's face it, let's face the facts and GET REAL... Let's get down to the REAL KNITTY GRITTY of this controversial and somewhat heated discussion..... If it wasn't for our trusty leader Chaim none of us would be here enjoying this incredibly wonderful and unique message board... As a matter of fact, many of us members of this board might not even be here and/or alive period if it wasn't for Chaim's selfless and relentless efforts to PROTECT US from our DANGEROUS ENEMIES--- Quite frankly, if it wasn't for Chaim spreading the truth and making it known to our military leaders with his insightful broadcasts expressing the grave danger we all face many of us might not be here now, we might very well all be DEAD! That said, there are indeed some respectable Rabbis who are of the opinion that there are cases in which Chaim's view is justified. One thing I've learned from watching the great Chaim express his opinions on TV over the years is that the great Chaim ALWAYS stands on the side of what is CORRECT and RIGHTEOUS!

« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 12:59:31 PM by abdithefaithful »
If you don't like The Great Chaim, then you sure as heck wouldn't like me!

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #80 on: February 11, 2008, 01:05:27 PM »
Let's face it, let's face the facts and GET REAL... Let's get down to the REAL KNITTY GRITTY of this controversial and somewhat heated discussion..... If it wasn't for our trusty leader Chaim none of us would be here enjoying this incredibly wonderful and unique message board... As a matter of fact, many of us members of this board might not even be here and/or alive period if it wasn't for Chaim's selfless and relentless efforts to PROTECT US from our DANGEROUS ENEMIES--- Quite frankly, if it wasn't for Chaim spreading the truth and making it known to our military leaders with his insightful broadcasts expressing the grave danger we all face many of us might not be here now, we might very well all be DEAD! That said, there are indeed some respectable Rabbis who are of the opinion that there are cases in which Chaim's view is justified. One thing I've learned from watching the great Chaim express his opinions on TV over the years is that the great Chaim ALWAYS stands on the side of what is CORRECT and RIGHTEOUS!

I will add that he is open-minded for righteous things that might be different from his own opinion.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Lubab

• Master JTFer
« Reply #81 on: February 11, 2008, 02:33:20 PM »
I'm still waiting for the Biblical/Talmudic evidence...

Patience is a virtue. I said to give me a day. The day is not nearly over yet.
"It is not upon you to finish the work, nor are you free to desist from it." Rabbi Tarfon, Pirkei Avot.

Offline Sarah

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #82 on: February 11, 2008, 03:01:01 PM »
This much is clear in halacha. Killing someone in a vegetative state, is still murder.

I think leaving someone in pain and suffering is worse than murder.

G-d makes the rules. Not us.

First you need to accept that.

Later we can talk about why what G-d says here actually makes more sense than what you are saying. But that's for later.
First we need to understand whose world this is.

Out of respect because you are a Rabbi, I will not comment any more on this.

But my point is this, I don't agree with everything that is written, and when I am finally judged by G-d himself thats when I will justify myself him and only him and he already knows my reasons for my actions.

I live peace with G-d and my beliefs.

Skippy, you yourself commented on the fact that God sends no burdens or suffering upon us that we cannot bear. The pain and suffering that a person is going through is a test, for themselves and those around them. To kill them, even whilst in a vegetative state, is to cut short the test and it doesn't work like that.
With every suffering comes a relief, if not in this world maybe in the afterlife.
Thats my opinion..... since i'm not a Jew i'm not telling what is right or wrong, just what i think.

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #83 on: February 11, 2008, 03:03:20 PM »
My father who was bipolar/mentally ill committed suicide, he wanted to die for many years. What is Jewish view in a situation like this where a mentally ill person commits suicide?

They found a number of drugs in his system like Lithium, morphine, and a few other drugs.

He was suffering pretty badly, couldn't get a job, and his brain was pretty much fried after shock treatment. He was a danger to our family and we had to leave, I think at that point, he figured he had nothing else to live for and ended it.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 03:05:47 PM by Cohen »

Offline Sarah

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #84 on: February 11, 2008, 03:06:03 PM »
My father who was bipolar/mentally ill committed suicide, he wanted to die for many years. What is Jewish view in a situation like this where a mentally ill person commits suicide?

They found a number of drugs in his system like Lithium, morphine, and a few other drugs.
I don't know the Jewish view...but i'd just like to comment that a mentally ill person who cannot be identified as fully "sane", is not responsible for his actions, since it isn't his fault because his body and illness overshadows his mind and control.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #85 on: February 11, 2008, 03:49:15 PM »
I'm not telling anybody else what to do. I'm just saying what I would do and allowing others the privilage of doing the same.

I'll take my chances when the Satan reads out the charges against me at judgement. If they can make a reasonable case that I should have laid around for two or three more months in hideous suffering then I'll conceed the point.

Besides, don't the rabbis say that G-d isn't responsible for every single bad thing that happens to us? Like when a schvartza mugs and kills a good person it's not G-d killing them but the schvartza using his free will and evil inclinations.

If that's the case, a cancer caused by an irresposible factory owner leaking chemicals into the water supply is not G-d's doing.

Is this why we do the mitzvos? Only for fear of Divine judgement? You know Rambam says that someone who serves G-d this way is an "Am Haretz" (ignoramous). That is what we tell children so they will be good because they can't appreciate anything more than that.

An adult must develop and learn to do the Mitzvos because they are G-d's will and true and good in their own right...not because we concerned about our own personal welfare.

That's why I'm trying to get you to stop worrying about what Satan will say and stop and make an effort to see what G-d really demands of us. We Jews were always known as people of the book. We don't make this stuff up. When we have a question we look into the book G-d gave us and go get the answer.

Dr. Dan says that interpretations can vary and that's true, but not in this case. Not in a case of a proactive act to directly end the life.
There is no dispute about this. According to all opinions it is murder in the eyes of the Torah.

I will repeat that when it comes to life and death, it is better to err on the side of life, although there are situations where removing medicine is permitted.  The question is, what is considered medicine and when is it ok to withdraw or accept someone's request to withdraw that medicine?

Anything less than that is suicide/murder.

But once again, if we don't know the answer to some of these situations or questions, it is better to side with life than with death.

THere are certain things in Judaism that we are allowed to die for. Interestingly enough, euthanasia is not one of them. Maybe, Lubab, you can shed some light on that. What did the Rabbi say about this?

Offline Lubab

• Master JTFer
« Reply #86 on: February 11, 2008, 04:16:58 PM »

I will repeat that when it comes to life and death, it is better to err on the side of life, although there are situations where removing medicine is permitted.  The question is, what is considered medicine and when is it ok to withdraw or accept someone's request to withdraw that medicine?

But once again, if we don't know the answer to some of these situations or questions, it is better to side with life than with death.

THere are certain things in Judaism that we are allowed to die for. Interestingly enough, euthanasia is not one of them. Maybe, Lubab, you can shed some light on that. What did the Rabbi say about this?

We are obligated to give up our lives for three things. If one is forcing us to murder someone else, we should die first. If one is forcing us to worhip idols we should die first. And if one forces us to do one of the cardinal sins of sexual immorality we should die first rather than do that too.

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #87 on: February 11, 2008, 04:19:33 PM »

We are obligated to give up our lives for three things. If one is forcing us to murder someone else, we should die first. If one is forcing us to worhip idols we should die first. And if one forces us to do one of the cardinal sins of sexual immorality we should die first rather than do that too.

The objective should be not to die for your country but to make the enemy die for his.

Offline OdKahaneChai

• Master JTFer
« Reply #88 on: February 11, 2008, 04:21:32 PM »

The objective should be not to die for your country but to make the enemy die for his.
Thanks, General Patton...  ;)

One does not deal with terrorists; one does not bargain with terrorists; one kills terrorists.
- Rabbi Meir Kahane ZT"L, HY"D

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #89 on: February 11, 2008, 04:51:35 PM »

What are the rabbis' explanations in regards to euthanasia.  How is it that these three things take presidence over someone's terminal physical suffering?

Offline Lubab

• Master JTFer
« Reply #90 on: February 11, 2008, 04:53:03 PM »

What are the rabbis' explanations in regards to euthanasia.  How is it that these three things take presidence over someone's terminal physical suffering?

These things are worse than physical suffering.

This shouldn't come as a shock to you. Emotional and spiritual pain can often be much greater than even the worst physical pain.

But it's more than that. Doing one of these three things causes great destruction the fabric of the world, on things outside of ourselves, the kind of damage we have no right to cause. For instance we have no right to choose that our life is more important than someone else's that's why we get killed rather than murder someone.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 04:54:44 PM by lubab »

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #91 on: February 11, 2008, 04:58:29 PM »

This shouldn't come as a shock to you. Emotional and spiritual pain can often be much greater than even the worst physical pain.

But it's more than that. Doing one of these three things causes great destruction the fabric of the world, on things outside of ourselves, the kind of damage we have no right to cause. For instance we have no right to choose that our life is more important than someone else's that's why we get killed rather than murder someone.

What about self defense? "If someone comes to kill you, kill them first"

Offline OdKahaneChai

• Master JTFer
« Reply #92 on: February 11, 2008, 04:59:08 PM »

What about self defense? "If someone comes to kill you, kill them first"
Then that isn't murder, is it?

One does not deal with terrorists; one does not bargain with terrorists; one kills terrorists.

Offline Lubab

• Master JTFer
« Reply #93 on: February 11, 2008, 05:04:27 PM »
For C.F.

The Talmudic and scriptural support for what I am saying:

Probably the earliest story regardomg  euthanasia is found in the Talmud (Avoda Zara 18). One of the ten martyrs, Rabbi Hanina ben Teradyon, was burnt at the stake holding a Torah scroll. His students stood around and said to him, “Rebbe, open your mouth. Let the flames and smoke enter your body and choke you so that you will die quicker and not suffer this terrible torture.”

He said, “No. G-d gave me my soul. Only He should retrieve it from me.”

The Talmud states as follows: "One who is in a dying condition (goses) is regarded as a living person in all respects (didn't find source yet)." This rule is reiterated by the codifiers of Jewish law including, Maimonides and Karo. The Talmud continues:

"One may not bind his jaws, nor stop up his openings, nor place a metallic vessel or any cooling object on his navel until such time that he dies, as it is written: Before the silver cord is snapped asunder (Ecclesiastes 12:6). One may not move him, nor may one place him on sand or on salt until he dies. One may not close the eyes of the dying person. He who touches them or moves them is shedding blood because Rabbi Meir used to say: This can be compared to a flickering flame. As soon as a person touches it, it becomes extinguished. So too, whosoever closes the eyes of the dying is considered to have taken his soul (didn't find source yet...)."

Other laws pertaining to a goses, or dying person, such as the preparation of a coffin, inheritance, marriage, and so forth, are then cited.

The Talmud also mentions: "He who closes the eyes of a dying person while the soul is departing is a murderer [lit. he sheds blood]. This may be compared to a lamp that is going out. If a man places his finger upon it, it is immediately extinguished (Shabbat 151b)." Rashi explains that this small effort of closing the eyes may slightly hasten death.

“Against your will you were born, against your will you die, and against your will you are destined to give an account before the supreme King of kings, the Holy One, blessed be He” (Ethics of our Fathers 4:22).

Also see this article: http://books.google.com/books?id=clIrSyxlZ-MC&pg=PA114&lpg=PA114&dq=euthanasia+talmud&source=web&ots=fOHPvcJb2X&sig=yejTPH5OMw8SBKFkN_uiHR-yg_w
« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 05:09:20 PM by lubab »

Offline Masha

• Master JTFer
« Reply #94 on: February 11, 2008, 05:06:04 PM »
Would suicide bombing against the Amalek be justified in Judaism?

Offline Lubab

• Master JTFer
« Reply #95 on: February 11, 2008, 05:09:50 PM »

No. Do it without getting yourself killed if possible.

Offline Masha

• Master JTFer
« Reply #96 on: February 11, 2008, 05:13:44 PM »

What about if this is not possible or feasible? There were kamikaze missions during WWII. Would such missions be outlawed by Judaism?

Offline OdKahaneChai

• Master JTFer
« Reply #97 on: February 11, 2008, 05:21:16 PM »
There is no physical Amalek today anyways.  Only the inner Amalek...

Offline abdithefaithful

• Full JTFer
« Reply #98 on: February 11, 2008, 05:24:56 PM »
Wow, to say that this has ignited into a severely heated debate would be an understatement at this point! It appears that opinions vary and we're certainly not all on the same page regarding the incredibly controversial issue. That said, I still maintain my original position that if it wasn't for our trusty leader Chaim that we'd all probably be DEAD-- If it wasn't for Chaim's selfless and relentless efforts to PROTECT US from our DANGEROUS ENEMIES and his steadfast dedication to spreading the truth and making it known to our military leaders that our enemies are indeed putting us in grave danger, it's not much of a stretch to assume we'd all have been killed by now... When our great Chaim expresses his sacred opinions on TV he ALWAYS stands on the side of what is CORRECT and RIGHTEOUS!
If you don't like The Great Chaim, then you sure as heck wouldn't like me!

Offline Lubab

• Master JTFer
« Reply #99 on: February 11, 2008, 05:25:04 PM »

What about if this is not possible or feasible? There were kamikaze missions during WWII. Would such missions be outlawed by Judaism?
Tough question if that's the only way to save someone else's life. I would recommend you search for articles by Rabbi J. Bleich on these topics because he's an expert in this stuff.