Author Topic: Anyone Use the George Foreman Grill?  (Read 2792 times)

Offline Ari

• Master JTFer
Anyone Use the George Foreman Grill?
« on: February 10, 2008, 10:48:57 PM »
 :D

Offline OdKahaneChai

• Master JTFer
Re: Anyone Use the George Foreman Grill?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008, 10:55:52 PM »
They're actually very useful...

One does not deal with terrorists; one does not bargain with terrorists; one kills terrorists.
- Rabbi Meir Kahane ZT"L, HY"D

Offline Ari

• Master JTFer
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2008, 10:58:06 PM »
Yes, I know.  I have to get a new one.

Offline Tina Greco - Melbourne

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2008, 11:08:23 PM »
Yup I love mine, and so easy to clean  :::D O0

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2008, 07:56:59 PM »
wow.. the reason I avoided it was I heard it was -hard- to clean!!
plates were not removable.

But now I see they make some with removable plates.
http://www.amazon.com/George-Foreman-GRP4-Grilleration-Removable/dp/B000309TJ0/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1204159584&sr=8-2

I do have some other health concerns about these things though..
- They are grill like not flat.. and so you`d get burnt stripes on the burger, and burnt food is unhealthy.
- Teflon, I think I once read that kills pigeons. Like, cooking them something in a teflon pan and feeding it to them, kills them.

Before the george foreman with removable plates.. I was looking at the Hamilton beach grill. I only stopped for those - possibly silly - reasons.

There are actually alot of these grills out there.  Probably cheaper than George Foreman and just as good.  Maybe some are even better.  But the George Foreman one was so well advertised.

Note- I am aware that there are some young readers here. Who if they are anything like me may be horrified to read of a male talking about making food.  When I was in my teens, I would NEVER have cooked.. I thought it was womens work. I still hate it. I hate the washing up too. I just do it now because at least when I do it, I do the food I want, in good portions.  So don`t worry. I have no passion for it, I`m no wuss!!

Offline Ari

• Master JTFer
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2008, 08:02:38 PM »
I hate cooking also.  I prefer to pick something up on the go, healthy as possible, or pick up some food from Mom! O0

kellymaureen

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2008, 08:10:23 PM »
Nope I shovel a path to the bbq lol

Offline Scriabin

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2008, 08:11:39 PM »
The George Foreman Grill is awesome.

I wonder what Chiam thinks of George Foreman.

George Foreman for President!

Offline HiWarp

• Master JTFer
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2008, 08:20:14 PM »

But now I see they make some with removable plates.
http://www.amazon.com/George-Foreman-GRP4-Grilleration-Removable/dp/B000309TJ0/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1204159584&sr=8-2

I do have some other health concerns about these things though..
- They are grill like not flat.. and so you`d get burnt stripes on the burger, and burnt food is unhealthy.
- Teflon, I think I once read that kills pigeons. Like, cooking them something in a teflon pan and feeding it to them, kills them.

Before the george foreman with removable plates.. I was looking at the Hamilton beach grill. I only stopped for those - possibly silly - reasons.

There are actually alot of these grills out there.  Probably cheaper than George Foreman and just as good.  Maybe some are even better.  But the George Foreman one was so well advertised.

Note- I am aware that there are some young readers here. Who if they are anything like me may be horrified to read of a male talking about making food.  When I was in my teens, I would NEVER have cooked.. I thought it was womens work. I still hate it. I hate the washing up too. I just do it now because at least when I do it, I do the food I want, in good portions.  So don`t worry. I have no passion for it, I`m no wuss!!

Hey!  I like to cook and I assure you I am no wuss!  But I have to agree with your statement about when I was in my teens.   The most I cooked back then was toast for my sandwich.
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny;
when the government fears the people, there is liberty.”
---Thomas Jefferson

Offline Ari

• Master JTFer
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2008, 08:38:30 PM »
Yes, I would much rather have George Foreman for President than Machmoud Abdul Babalama.  We can had his name to the list in the other section. O0

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2008, 09:02:27 PM »

Really? I clean straight after I have finished cooking, the plates are very hot need to be clarerful and it just wipes off. I do have it near the sink, if you use a spray bottle with hot soapie water in it, its easy to clean the top plate and use paper towels.  :)

Online cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2008, 09:15:41 PM »

Really? I clean straight after I have finished cooking, the plates are very hot need to be clarerful and it just wipes off. I do have it near the sink, if you use a spray bottle with hot soapie water in it, its easy to clean the top plate and use paper towels.  :)
Yes you got a good system there it has to be cleaned hot. I use an old cotton cloth soaked  with water and dish soap over the edge of the sink. I have to try that spray bottle however.  It would be great if the plates were removable. The clean up on them grills is the only drawback to them.
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2008, 10:08:54 PM »
I have it but it has an affirmative action design. It doesn't have an on or off switch so the way to turn it on and off is to plug and un-plug it. So it usually makes a spark when you plug or un-plug it.

I usually used it to make fish for Shabbat but now I just use the oven instead.

When we use it, it is next to the sink so I can run water on it from the sunk with the soap to clean it. Usually I only cleaned it before use and not after I was finished.

not meant to cook on shabbat!

changing state of things perhaps. I heard that even applies to pot noodles.

warming things up is ok... e.g. in oven - they leave oven on all shabbos!

Some people use a "hot plate" instead of an oven. Dunno if the advantage is functional, religious, or economical.
 A "hot plate", I think, is like a piece of equipment with a flat surface and you plug it in and it heats up.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 10:12:26 PM by q_q_ »

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2008, 10:26:57 PM »

Yes you got a good system there it has to be cleaned hot. I use an old cotton cloth soaked  with water and dish soap over the edge of the sink. I have to try that spray bottle however.  It would be great if the plates were removable. The clean up on them grills is the only drawback to them.

yes, it took me a while to get used to the timing, they cook alot faster. I don't use that special sponge he had, because it scratched my first grill. I have the biggest one now, but sometimes its still small. I would like a longer one, I find the shape a little funny. 

Offline Scriabin

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2008, 11:48:23 PM »
The George Foreman Grill is awesome.

I wonder what Chiam thinks of George Foreman.

George Foreman for President!

Why don't you ask him in a "Scriabin question"?

Perhaps I will.

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2008, 08:13:21 AM »
does the soapy water come in a spraying thing, or do you have to remove something dangerous and fill it with washing up liquid and water??

I have seen spraying things for getting rid of stains.. they don`t have soapy water in them though!

newman

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2008, 08:17:13 AM »
I love mine but I don't get the health benefits.

As soon as the fat drips into the dish I dip bread in and eat it.

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2008, 08:19:14 AM »
does the soapy water come in a spraying thing, or do you have to remove something dangerous and fill it with washing up liquid and water??

I have seen spraying things for getting rid of stains.. they don`t have soapy water in them though!

OH here you can buy the spray bottle empty, only like $1.50 and I put dish washing liquid in it and hot water.