Author Topic: Deformed Jewish sinagogue tries to put provactive adverstisement in paper  (Read 964 times)

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
Seattle paper refuses NCJW ad  i spelt synagogue that way because it is sinfull
 E-mail article 
 Share on Facebook
 Digg this
 Tell the Editors 
 What bloggers
are saying 

Published: 02/12/2008

The Seattle Times refused to run an ad for a National Council of Jewish Women-sponsored production.

The Times said it would not print an ad for the Feb. 24 production of Eve Ensler’s “The Vagina Monologues” unless the artwork was altered, according to Lauren Simonds, the executive director of the council's Seattle section.

The artwork comes from a poster showing a red valentine with what appears to be a vagina in the middle.

"They were very clear with us that they would not run the ad unless we altered the artwork," Simonds said. "We were just as clear with them that that is not what the National Council of Jewish Women is about. It is not what the 'Vagina Monologues' is about."

The Times’ vice president of advertising, Mei-Mei Chan, told the Seattle Weekly, which first reported the story, that "the artwork was something we didn't feel was appropriate for our audience."

Simonds said the artwork "is not explicit" and comes from an image in the play itself.

"The Vagina Monologues" is being performed in Seattle, as it is elsewhere in the nation, in honor of “V-Day,” which focuses attention on women’s empowerment. The performance is a fund-raiser for the council's furniture bank for women and children survivors of domestic violence.

Rabbi Yohanna Kinberg of Temple B’nai Torah in nearby Bellevue, Wash., told the Seattle Weekly that one of her congregants designed the poster, which is hanging in her synagogue and at several other synagogues in the area.

“I was just very disappointed that the Times didn't share our appreciation for what I consider to be tasteful and beautiful artwork,” she said.

Simonds said the Times' rejection "was not particular to 'The Vagina Monologues,' women or Jews." She noted the paper has reworded ads for penile erection aids, "and they have trouble with ads for bras" as well.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 03:17:04 PM by mord »
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
Re: Deformed Jewish sinagogue tries to put provactive adverstisement in paper
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008, 04:02:38 PM »
*vomits*

Offline Ultra Requete

• Master JTFer
  • United We Stand, Dived We'll Fall.
Re: Deformed Jewish sinagogue tries to put provactive adverstisement in paper
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 04:45:15 PM »
That's why I'm firm against women ordering; btw  Don't they know that Jews had only one Temple in Jerusalem?
Jeremiah 8:11-17

11 They dress the wound of my people as though it were not serious. Peace, peace, they say, when there is no peace.

12 Are they ashamed of their loathsome conduct? No, they have no shame at all; they do not even know how to blush. So they will fall among the fallen; they will be brought down when they are punished, says the LORD.

13 'I will take away their harvest, declares the LORD. There will be no grapes on the vine. There will be no figs on the tree, and their leaves will wither. What I have given them will be taken from them.'

14 Why are we sitting here? Gather together! Let us flee to the fortified cities and perish there! For the LORD our God has doomed us to perish and given us poisoned water to drink, because we have sinned against him.

15 We hoped for peace but no good has come, for a time of healing but there was only terror.

16 The snorting of the enemy's horses is heard from Dan; at the neighing of their stallions the whole land trembles. They have come to devour the land and everything in it, the city and all who live there.

17 See, I will send venomous snakes among you, vipers that cannot be charmed, and they will bite you, declares the LORD.

Love your Enemy
And Heap Burning Coals on his Head!!!
http://net-burst.net/revenge/love_and_wrath_of_God.htm