Author Topic: Shmirat Haloshon (very important about speech).  (Read 2053 times)

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
Shmirat Haloshon (very important about speech).
« on: February 27, 2008, 08:17:51 PM »
Shmirat Haloshon is the observance of ones speech. The words that come out of our mouths bring define our essence. They tell other people if we are angry, happy, upset,etc. We can see the power of our words by looking at our toungue. Hashem created us that our tounge is partly hidden and partly revealed. It's not usally seen but is usally heard. The Maharal says that Hashem created the tonuge this way for a special purpose. The tounge was created this way because it reveals the hidden self, one's thoughts, ideas, and personality. The tongue takes these hidden elements and from with in the person and, through the words, bring them into the open. The laws of speech which Hashem has given us, teach us how to look at people, speak to people, and speak about people. The Torah understands that the main reason for every broken friendship, shattered career or divorce is a seed of hatered, which is planted by a hurtful word. But if a person removes the negative words, gossip, and slander from thier vocabulary then that person can take hold of life.

The Torah teaches us that the words we choose determine how we experience our lives. By taking hold of our power of speech, we take hold of life itself. But Hashem does not simply hand us this tremendous power and leave us to discover how it works. He gives us detailed instructions, in the form of the laws of Shmiras Haloshon. More than a body of halacha, Shmiras Haloshon is God's human relations training program that teaches us how to interact with others in the best possible way.
There are many things that fuel loshon hara without us even realizing. Some of the things are: arrogance, anger, jealousy, a critical attitude and a negative outlook. However, when we say kind and gentle words it reflects in the persons personality and helps us diminish the amount of loshon hara. As it says in Sefer Chovos HaLevavos "The mouth is the quill of the heart." The mouth expresses the contents of the heart. A mouth that spews venom can only be the outlet of a heart that produces it.
The Chofetz Chaim says that when one observes the laws of Shmiras Haloshon, one evolves into a better person. That's because every interaction, one is focused on not causing others pain. After a while doing this will have an effect in what he says and thinks. Eventually, it will become who he is.
The mouth is the means by which man is able to draw holiness of Heaven down to earth. The mouth enables words of prayer and learning to ascend. But our words also bring the holiness down to earth . By saying 121 words we can create a holy bond of marriage between man and a woman. By saying 54 words, a glass of wine is elevated to the status of kiddush. Therefore through the mouth we can bring holiness into our world.

To be Continued...

Mostly taken from Sefer Chofetz Chaim A Lesson A day. By Rabbi Shimon Finkelman, and Rabbi Yitzchak Berkowitz.
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

‏119:139 צִמְּתַתְנִי קִנְאָתִי כִּישָׁכְחוּ דְבָרֶיךָ צָרָי
My zeal incenses me, for my adversaries have forgotten Your words.
‏119:141 צָעִיר אָנֹכִי וְנִבְזֶה פִּקֻּדֶיךָ, לֹא שָׁכָחְתִּי.
 I am young and despised; I have not forgotten Your precepts.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Please visit: (The Greatest lectures on Earth).
http://torahanytime.com/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Yossi_Mizrachi/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Zecharia_Wallerstein/