Author Topic: Religious Jewish school Boycotts English Exam - Shakespeare anti-semitic  (Read 2489 times)

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer

newman

Those Jews are the only people in England with a pair.

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
I hate shakespear to begin with  >:( , I dont understand why we need that shiite anyway, and they make you read it throughout high school and college (yeaa okayy).
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

‏119:139 צִמְּתַתְנִי קִנְאָתִי כִּישָׁכְחוּ דְבָרֶיךָ צָרָי
My zeal incenses me, for my adversaries have forgotten Your words.
‏119:141 צָעִיר אָנֹכִי וְנִבְזֶה פִּקֻּדֶיךָ, לֹא שָׁכָחְתִּי.
 I am young and despised; I have not forgotten Your precepts.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Please visit: (The Greatest lectures on Earth).
http://torahanytime.com/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Yossi_Mizrachi/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Zecharia_Wallerstein/

Offline MassuhDGoodName

• Ultimate JTFer
It is not possible to learn history's lessons while at the same time wanting to "ban" very hurtful parts of our history.

If Shakespeare disliked Jews, it was because most everyone in his day hated Jews.

This wanting to ban ugliness from history will only result in Negroes banning Mark Twain and banning any studies of the American Confederacy, etc. ...

Before you know it, there will be no history classes anymore, because there is no group of people on the planet that has not been mistreated by others.

If you think people are "dumbed down" now, ban history and you'll see the growth of Jew-Hatred which will make today's manifestations look tame by comparison.

The whole point of learning the truth about human history is to understand it and thereby not make the same mistakes again.

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
It is not possible to learn history's lessons while at the same time wanting to "ban" very hurtful parts of our history.

If Shakespeare disliked Jews, it was because most everyone in his day hated Jews.

This wanting to ban ugliness from history will only result in Negroes banning Mark Twain and banning any studies of the American Confederacy, etc. ...

Before you know it, there will be no history classes anymore, because there is no group of people on the planet that has not been mistreated by others.

If you think people are "dumbed down" now, ban history and you'll see the growth of Jew-Hatred which will make today's manifestations look tame by comparison.

The whole point of learning the truth about human history is to understand it and thereby not make the same mistakes again.

IT'S A JEWISH SCHOOL

• Gold Star JTF Member
Why should they have to study smut?  Are you going to give a pop quiz on Hitler's (yimach shemo) pamphlets too while you're at it?

"Those pupils at Yesodey Hatorah Senior Girls' School in Stamford Hill, North London, "

They stood for their principals even though it brought down the 'national ranking' of their school.  Good for them.  They didn't BAN anything.  They chose not to subject themselves to what someone else deems 'good poetry' or 'good culture' which happens to stand for nothing less than Jew-hatred.  I don't see what your problem is about this.  It's obviously a Torah school, and I'm sure the parents aren't paying top dollar to have their kids learn and be tested on antisemite smut as if it is academic.

• Gold Star JTF Member
lol

Offline takebackourtemple

• Master JTFer
  • May this be the year that the temple is liberated.
   I remember my English teacher back in high school gave the class "the chosen" by Chaim Potok in order to justify having us read the Merchant of Venice.
Does it bother you that you have to face the dome and the rock to say the sh'ma?

Offline Eliezer Ben Avraham

• Master JTFer
I was reading this article by a scholar (sic) who basically was saying that shakespeare invented people and it was so ridiculous
KAHANE TZADAK!

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
Well, instead of the HORRIBLE Merchant of Venice play, they can study other classical works of the time period so it's not like not taking a Shakespeare test will make anyone stupid. There are other options.

But think about this....does the school teach Shakespeare because they feel it helps students or because the district tells them its what they should do?

All I am saying is that why is the Merchant of Venice required...there are other options and people should just have a right to choose.

I was thinking the same, actually the dean of my high school even mentioned it himself, instead of reading all the crap they make you read in high school and college (actually throughout all the years), why cant school and students choose better things? For example for Jewish schools they should read the Torah (Tannach for english class) which is much more advanced in its writing then some anti-semitic perverted literature from england.
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

‏119:139 צִמְּתַתְנִי קִנְאָתִי כִּישָׁכְחוּ דְבָרֶיךָ צָרָי
My zeal incenses me, for my adversaries have forgotten Your words.
‏119:141 צָעִיר אָנֹכִי וְנִבְזֶה פִּקֻּדֶיךָ, לֹא שָׁכָחְתִּי.
 I am young and despised; I have not forgotten Your precepts.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Please visit: (The Greatest lectures on Earth).
http://torahanytime.com/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Yossi_Mizrachi/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Zecharia_Wallerstein/

Offline MassuhDGoodName

• Ultimate JTFer
Re:  "...IT'S A JEWISH SCHOOL..."

So, you mean that they're reading The Merchant of Venice in Hebrew?

Offline JTFFan

• Ultimate JTFer
I hate shakespear to begin with  >:( , I dont understand why we need that shiite anyway, and they make you read it throughout high school and college (yeaa okayy).

Same here.

Offline dhimmi_pride

• Senior JTFer
The article says that the test was on "The Tempest" another play by Shakespeare. So I think they were wrong to boycott, if it had been on "the Merchant of Venice" I would understand. The fact is that unfortunately many of the great thinkers and writers in history were anti-semetic. But having school children today refusing to read any Shakespeare because anti-semetism in one of his plays is only doing themselves a disservice to their education, one is simply not considered educated in the English speaking world if they have not read Shakespeare.

Offline Ambiorix

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • There is no "Istanbul"
    • Brussels Journal

Same here.
So what do you like to read then?
Turkey must get out of NATO. NATO must get out of Kosovo-Serbia. Croats must get out of Crajina. All muslims must get out of Christian and Jewish land. Turks must get out of Cyprus. Turks must get out of "Istanbul". "Palestinians" must get out of Israel. Israel must become independent from USA.

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
The article says that the test was on "The Tempest" another play by Shakespeare. So I think they were wrong to boycott, if it had been on "the Merchant of Venice" I would understand. The fact is that unfortunately many of the great thinkers and writers in history were anti-semetic. But having school children today refusing to read any Shakespeare because anti-semetism in one of his plays is only doing themselves a disservice to their education, one is simply not considered educated in the English speaking world if they have not read Shakespeare.

When they teach it, they do not teach that shakespeare was anti-semitic, and it is an anti-semitic play.

They may teach that by the standards of his time he was friendly and sympathetic towards jews.

Pupils are actually brainwashed by the teachers into sympathising with shylock.  Saying well, Shylock was spat upon, e.t.c.   They are taught to try to understand Shylock's reaction.  They are not taught that shylock is horrible(presumably they think that would be anti-semitic).  They are taught that shylock is a jew. And you are supposed to step into his shoes, to understand his reaction.

The anti-semitism it inspires in classrooms is very bad. 

Even in a modern orthodox school I was at , I remember one intelligent pupil going self hating, saying "he's a horrible jew" e.t.c..     

My neighbour - not jewish - went to a state funded school, the type where kids carry knives. He said they gathered around the television and came out with incredible anti-semitic comments.

Schools are not even honest enough to say it is an anti-semitic play. If they did then they would have to admit to teaching an anti-semitic play. And justify teaching it.

Maybe, maybe, they could try to justify it with "great use of english not seen anywhere else". But they will not even admit that it is an anti-semitic play.
They could then justify teaching mein kampf too, for historical significance!

I saw a letter in the paper suggesting TS Elliott as an alternative to shakespeare.

Offline MassuhDGoodName

• Ultimate JTFer
Re:  "...They could then justify teaching mein kampf too, for historical significance!..."

Mein Kampf is taught in some courses.

And every Jew should read it cover to cover.

In fact, reading it should be a mandatory requirement for all students everywhere.

Only then will people see for themselves what madness and insanity is behind it.

How in the world can you expect to debate a Jew-hater and refute their ideology, when you yourself have no knowledge about it?

I can assure you that simply denouncing anyone with whom you disagree as a "Nazi" without knowing what a Nazi really is, has only the effect of allowing an opponent to appear "better read" and "more knowledgeable" than you.

And someone who hasn't read it, in a debate with David Duke...(he in his expensive suit, Ph.D. degree, and record of serving in the La Legislature as a Republican)...is going to lose the debate if unable to prove by example the insanity and stupidity of Duke's positions.

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
Re:  "...They could then justify teaching mein kampf too, for historical significance!..."

Mein Kampf is taught in some courses.

And every Jew should read it cover to cover.

In fact, reading it should be a mandatory requirement for all students everywhere.

Only then will people see for themselves what madness and insanity is behind it.

How in the world can you expect to debate a Jew-hater and refute their ideology, when you yourself have no knowledge about it?

I can assure you that simply denouncing anyone with whom you disagree as a "Nazi" without knowing what a Nazi really is, has only the effect of allowing an opponent to appear "better read" and "more knowledgeable" than you.

And someone who hasn't read it, in a debate with David Duke...(he in his expensive suit, Ph.D. degree, and record of serving in the La Legislature as a Republican)...is going to lose the debate if unable to prove by example the insanity and stupidity of Duke's positions.

well.. what I meant was teaching mein kampf in History class. And particularly, GCSE (this case, with English, was english GCSE).  That`s like 15 or 16 year olds.

My main issue with shakespeare being taught at GCSE, is that do not even admit that it is anti-semitic. You are taught to empathise with shylock.. To, as the saying in "to kill a mockingbird goes". "Step into his shoes and walk around in them".

Imagine teaching mein kampf without teaching that it is anti-semitic..

That is how kids are being taught "the merchant of venice".