Author Topic: Working out on Shabbath ?  (Read 4131 times)

Offline Haim_Ben_Shimon_3JFB

• Pro JTFer
Working out on Shabbath ?
« on: March 15, 2008, 09:09:01 PM »
Is it right to work out on Sabbath since we know its not actual work and we don't transfer things from one property to another? At the same time we all know what happens to a body when one starts working out, it rips muscles. Just another thought it rips muscles but at the same time it makes you want to eat more and we all know its a mitzvahs to eat on Sabbath so i don't know what you guys think? Is it allowed or no?

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
Re: Working out on Shabbath ?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2008, 09:15:34 PM »
I remember reading somewhere that its not allowed, (probably in the Sefardic Kitzur Shulhan Aruch), unless its for someone that has some health problems where they need to do something everyday. But having long walks even for health is allowed.
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

‏119:139 צִמְּתַתְנִי קִנְאָתִי כִּישָׁכְחוּ דְבָרֶיךָ צָרָי
My zeal incenses me, for my adversaries have forgotten Your words.
‏119:141 צָעִיר אָנֹכִי וְנִבְזֶה פִּקֻּדֶיךָ, לֹא שָׁכָחְתִּי.
 I am young and despised; I have not forgotten Your precepts.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Please visit: (The Greatest lectures on Earth).
http://torahanytime.com/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Yossi_Mizrachi/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Zecharia_Wallerstein/

Offline DownwithIslam

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2008, 09:16:09 PM »
I believe using the equipment in the gym is forbidden and you need to scan your id in anyway so thats bad. Of course you can't drive there either. Shabbos is supposed to be a day of rest.
I am urinating on a Koran.

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2008, 09:18:50 PM »
I work out al;ot but your body need rest in order for the muscles to recover and rebuild ,why not take off shabbot? and other dayus as well .How long have you been working out?
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2008, 09:40:48 PM »
I believe using the equipment in the gym is forbidden and you need to scan your id in anyway so thats bad. Of course you can't drive there either. Shabbos is supposed to be a day of rest.
i am talking about if you have equipments in your house

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2008, 09:44:20 PM »
I work out al;ot but your body need rest in order for the muscles to recover and rebuild ,why not take off shabbot? and other dayus as well .How long have you been working out?
i have no time for gym i work at catering hall which is a physical job 8 hours and also full time college so i just work out at home 8 packs, biceps, doing some diamond push ups, pull ups, jump rope and running. trying to get in shape for break dancing. 

Offline Eliezer Ben Avraham

• Master JTFer
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2008, 10:35:53 PM »
as long as the equipment is not electronic I would think its ok
KAHANE TZADAK!

Offline דוד בן זאב אריה

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Kahane Was Right
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2008, 10:40:46 PM »
I belive that it is considered work and doning that is not using the Sabbath to rest I could be wrong though
David Ben Ze'ev Aryeh

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2008, 10:45:08 PM »
If you want tomm I will post Sefardic Kitzur Shulhan Aruch.
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Offline jdl4ever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2008, 04:58:42 PM »
The Rambam in Hilchot Shabbat Chapter 21 states that exercising on the Shabbat (he then gives an example of walking until you break up a sweat) is Rabbinically prohibited and he then gives a very weird reason; because it is a type of Refuah (healing practice) and in that Chapter he says that medicine and healing remedies are Rabbinically prohibited because one might come to grind the herbs together to make the medicine which is a Biblical prohibition on the Shabbat. 
"Enough weeping and wailing; and the following of leaders & rabbis who are pygmies of little faith & less understanding."
"I believe very much in a nation beating their swords into plowshears but when my enemy has a sword I don't want a plowshear"
-Rabbi Meir Kahane Zs'l HYD

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2008, 05:23:21 PM »
since catering job is not every day

you should have the energy to workout at home at days when you aren`t at the catering place.

Even at the catering place, you probably get good food there, you always have evenings

And if there is a possibility of a shower, then you have lunch break as an option too.
You could get a "door gym", and do pullups anywhere there is almost any door!

« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 05:26:38 PM by q_q_ »

Offline Eliezer Ben Avraham

• Master JTFer
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2008, 11:04:10 PM »
The Rambam in Hilchot Shabbat Chapter 21 states that exercising on the Shabbat (he then gives an example of walking until you break up a sweat) is Rabbinically prohibited and he then gives a very weird reason; because it is a type of Refuah (healing practice) and in that Chapter he says that medicine and healing remedies are Rabbinically prohibited because one might come to grind the herbs together to make the medicine which is a Biblical prohibition on the Shabbat. 
what did yosef caro say?
KAHANE TZADAK!

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2008, 11:19:00 PM »
Sorry I didn't respond back earlier.

It is best to refrain from exercise and use of all excercide machinery and weights on Shabbat. An ill person who is instructed by a doctor to perform daily physiotherapy excercises may perform them on Shabbat. It is also wholly permissible to take walks on Shabbat, and even to walk distances greater then necessary for health reasons. It is forbiddden to massage a healthy person on Shabbat.
          page 221 from The Sefardic Kitzur Shulchan Aruch.

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2008, 05:53:14 AM »
My rabbi once told me that it would be avodah, not melacha, so technically I could if I wanted (obviously not according to all opinions, as Tzvi has shown), but it's not really in the spirit of the day, and you won't find anyone who is shomer shabbos really doing that.  I wasn't sure what he meant by "not in the spirit of the day" until I started keeping Shabbat fully a few times, and then I understood what it was all about.  There wasn't any need or desire to do anything except fully immerse in shabbat, learning resting eating, etc.  I agreed strongly with what CHaim said to this question in ask JTF, there's a whole 6 other days to do that kind of stuff (exercise etc). 

Are you living at school, do families ever host you or you have somewhere to go for Shabbat?