Author Topic: Priest blocks autistic boy from attending church  (Read 879 times)

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
Priest blocks autistic boy from attending church
« on: May 21, 2008, 11:58:54 AM »
The parents of a 13-year-old autistic boy in Bertha, Minnesota, are facing a restraining order from their parish priest because of their handicapped child.

The priest filed a court complaint against the parents for what Rev. Daniel Walz says was their boy's unruly behaviour during mass. He wants them to keep their son -- Adam Race -- away from church.

Walz claims Adam has urinated and spat in church and that his behaviour presents a danger to other parishioners.

But Adam's parents say the boy has a medical disability and they try to control their son as best they can.

"He said that we did not discipline our son. He said that our son was physically out of control and a danger to everyone at church," Carol Race said. "I can't discipline him out of his autism, and I think that's what our priest is expecting."

But Walz told authorities he has spoken to the parents and the parish has tried to offer "many options for accommodations that would assist the family while protecting the safety of parishioners. (But) the family refused those offers of accommodation."

Walz told authorities in an affidavit that Adam's behaviour had become progressively worse. During one incident, he alleges that Adam assaulted a girl. In another, he said Adam ran into a vehicle in the church parking lot, started its ignition, and revved its engine.

"There were people directly in front of the car who could have been injured or killed if he had put the car in gear," Walz wrote.

Advocates for people with disabilities say they can't believe the situation has escalated to the point where the justice system is involved.

"It's unfathomable and concerns me that we've taken a situation with special needs and we're making it into a criminal matter," said Brad Trahan, the founder of the RT Autism Awareness Foundation in Minnesota.

The parish says the restraining order petition was a last resort. But despite the order, the family continued to go to church. They would leave before the service ended to avoid contact with other parishioners.

Race says all she and her family want to do is worship at the church they've attended for about a dozen years.

"The church isn't bad," she said. "But it's what some individuals do within the church."

This past Sunday, the Race family attended a different church after the threat of arrest. A court hearing on the matter will take place in June.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNew...=World&s_name=

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
Re: Priest blocks autistic boy from attending church
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 12:29:39 PM »
I heard somewhere i think on fox the kid is like 6'6'' 350 lbs,the church said they offered the family a whole pew to themselfs but they refused.The Church also said they offered his parents a room when he gets excited and they refused that also.He was supposedly scaring all the congregants
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 02:21:36 PM »
I agree that the boy should not be allowed to threaten the other people there. However, the priest is wrong if he thinks that he can be disciplined into behaving. He won't be able to behave. His parents however are completely unreasonable for not taking reasonable accommodations offered by the church.

I believe the law will see the church as being in the right because they offered reasonable accommodations.

Offline abdithefaithful

• Full JTFer
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 04:19:12 PM »
this child should have his own cage or form of soundproof division (some sort of strongly built structure) that enables other church worshipers to attend services without the child hindering their right to worship without an autistic circus sideshow...
If you don't like The Great Chaim, then you sure as heck wouldn't like me!