Author Topic: Jewish rap music (it's horrible!)  (Read 4763 times)

Offline Ulli

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
Re: Jewish rap music (it's horrible!)
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2008, 02:30:31 AM »
The text is ok, but why he has to make such faces, wear such weird clothes and move in such a strange way. He looks like a savage and he ruins the content that he tries to forward.

I assicoate with him a wicked criminal - no believer. Just my oppinion  :(
"Cities run by progressives don't know how to police. ... Thirty cities went up last night, I went and looked at every one of them. Every one of them has a progressive Democratic mayor." Rudolph Giuliani

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2008, 02:35:13 AM »
The text is ok, but why he has to make such faces, wear such weird clothes and move in such a strange way. He looks like a savage and he ruins the content that he tries to forward.

Well, from what I hear he is associated with Chabad, like Matisyahu was. The reason for the act is that is the Shtick, it goes with the music video. I am in no way HIP or anything, but I am not bothered so much anymore with the Shtick which these young people are putting on. Shtick can change.

I dont know the man, but I will give the benefit of the doubt. The only thing which I will say is that anyone who becomes famous is liable to walk a strange path. I try to avoid fame.

muman613

PS: Did you see Iron Like a Lion? In it he wears a Tallis, he wears tzit-tzits, Is studying Torah in Shul, etc. Except for the exaggerated movements {which should be expected for a music video like this} I dont think that is wrong.

PPS: He looks like a good friend of mine who is a Mashgiach at a local Jewish school who also is a Chabadnik.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 02:37:26 AM by muman613 »
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2008, 02:42:46 AM »
Shalom,

There are some issue which should be dealt with. I dont condone music shows where men and women dance together. This was a problem for Matisyahu who eventually was told by his Rebbe that he should have a mehitza {seperation} between the men and women section. I daven at a shul with the division and I completely understand why we have it.

When I was a deadhead we all danced together. It was fun, but not very satisfying. And after I got married then it wasnt fun any more.

muman613
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2008, 07:26:18 AM »
This is my personal review about the "Jewda - Israelites video": It's a disgusting appearance, if he tried to ape the Shwatze Chaies with erratic jerks and hip-hop appearance than he succeeded brilliantly. The lyrics are irrelevant since they can hardly be deciphered from the noise. And even his bird looks more fitting for a quranimal. I consider this a disgrace for Jews and for good Jewish art.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2008, 08:44:01 AM »

I think that's one of the main problems I have with this as well. By acting like a "wigger", he's completely destroying his message.

Offline Scriabin

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2008, 10:48:47 AM »
There is a time and a place for everything

But that is no reason to be a music snob.

Wrong.

There's EVERY reason.

Ok, you can have your classical music bubble. Close your ears and your mind, you have the right. But you should not try to enforce that everyone should like the music you like.

I am very glad you love Classical music. But it is not suited for every time. Maybe you dont get tired of hearing the same music again and again. Hashem told us to enjoy the fruits of life and not to cut ourselves off from the good things. For you it is Classical music which provides all your satisfaction. But for me it requires a bit more than one style.

Art is very subjective and to each his own. As long as it is not immoral and it inspires for the good. I draw a line in my enjoyment of Heavy Metal as some bands go very far into Avodah Zarah and I will not countenance that. But I am not so hard as to say there is no good in Heavy metal. I will rebuke the bands which I find objectionable.

I was called a racist back in the mid 90's because I didnt like rap music. I had said many times I only hated gangsta rap, yet they still called me racist. Those flame wars are still archived online but at the time I used a different Nickname. Some people may still think I am racist because I dont like gangsta rap, but I am not a racist. I judge people and things by whether they are ultimately working for good or bad ends.

How many Concertos have you been to? When I was young I played in Orchestra and played viola. My parents were into the museums and arts and we went into NYC to see a couple Concerts. I appreciate the style but dont enjoy it much. I dont enjoy Led Zepplin very much because it is so overplayed. And Classical music often sounds redundant.

Anyway, have a good night :)

muman613

Some people's 'opinions' are more valuable than others.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2008, 10:55:45 AM »
funny
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2008, 10:56:54 AM »
We should not be embracing black culture, rap music belongs to the negros.

oh take a chill pill!
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2008, 10:58:25 AM »
Ecclesiastes - Chapter 3

1. Everything has an appointed season, and there is a time for every matter under the heaven.
2. A time to give birth and a time to die; a time to plant and a time to uproot that which is planted.
3. A time to kill and a time to heal; a time to break and a time to build.
4. A time to weep and a time to laugh; a time of wailing and a time of dancing.
5. A time to cast stones and a time to gather stones; a time to embrace and a time to refrain from embracing.
6. A time to seek and a time to lose; a time to keep and a time to cast away.
7. A time to rend and a time to sew; a time to be silent and a time to speak.
8. A time to love and a time to hate; a time for war and a time for peace.
9. What profit has the one who works in that which he toils?
10. I have seen the occupation that G-d gave to the sons of men with which to occupy themselves.
11. He has made everything beautiful in its time; also the [wisdom of] the world He put into their hearts, save that man should not find the deed which G-d did, from beginning to end.
12. I knew that there is nothing better for them but to rejoice and to do good during his lifetime.
13. And also, every man who eats and drinks and enjoys what is good in all his toil, it is a gift of G-d.
14. I knew that everything that G-d made, that will be forever; we cannot add to it, nor can we subtract from it; and G-d made it so that they fear Him.
15. That which was is already [done], and that which is [destined] to be, already was, and G-d seeks the pursued.
16. And moreover, I saw under the sun, [in] the place of justice, there is wickedness, and [in] the place of righteousness, there is wickedness.
17. I said to myself, "G-d will judge the righteous and the wicked, for there is a time for every matter and for every deed there."
18. I said to myself, [that this is] because of the children of men, so that G-d should clarify for them, so that they may see that they are [like] beasts to themselves.
19. For there is a happening for the children of men, and there is a happening for the beasts-and they have one happening-like the death of this one is the death of that one, and all have one spirit, and the superiority of man over beast is nought, for all is vanity.
20. All go to one place; all came from the dust, and all return to the dust.
21. Who knows that the spirit of the children of men is that which ascends on high and the spirit of the beast is that which descends below to the earth?
22. And I saw that there is nothing better than that man rejoice in his deeds, for that is his portion, for who will bring him to see what will be after him?

Hey he got the lyrics from that 70's song: Turn, Turn Turn!!!! :::D

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2008, 12:32:18 PM »
This is my personal review about the "Jewda - Israelites video": It's a disgusting appearance, if he tried to ape the Shwatze Chaies with erratic jerks and hip-hop appearance than he succeeded brilliantly. The lyrics are irrelevant since they can hardly be deciphered from the noise. And even his bird looks more fitting for a quranimal. I consider this a disgrace for Jews and for good Jewish art.

Well thank Hashem you are not the music Taliban. Not everyone likes what you like so dont try to impose what you like on others. If you have something positive to contribute, go ahead, and we will judge it.

muman613

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2008, 01:16:38 PM »
Question to those who say that Jews should not embrace something associated with black culture (which I kind'ov agree, but not in the same way as you guys). Why wouldn't it be a problem to see a Jew acting like a white guy, for example singing opera or something like that? If you have a problem with the first then you should equally have a problem with the second. (But that's talking about rap that doesn't use profanity words, and doesn't degrade women, etc.)
 The way I see it is that rap is a style, the words that most of the artists use is their own way of using rap.
  By the way scriabbin the video you posted, I had to turn it off after 30 seconds, i cant understand how one can listin to that, but i guess that is your thing.
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

‏119:139 צִמְּתַתְנִי קִנְאָתִי כִּישָׁכְחוּ דְבָרֶיךָ צָרָי
My zeal incenses me, for my adversaries have forgotten Your words.
‏119:141 צָעִיר אָנֹכִי וְנִבְזֶה פִּקֻּדֶיךָ, לֹא שָׁכָחְתִּי.
 I am young and despised; I have not forgotten Your precepts.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Please visit: (The Greatest lectures on Earth).
http://torahanytime.com/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Yossi_Mizrachi/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Zecharia_Wallerstein/

Offline Manch

• Master JTFer
  • Kahane Tzadak!
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2008, 01:26:18 PM »
they jump like baboons in the jungle and their noise is horrific. Why copy anti-Semites?  Completely moronic! Even lyrics are as primitive as Obama cool-aid drinkers.
Hayot Araviot Masrihot

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2008, 01:44:08 PM »
I prefer heavy metal, industrial metal, some classical, techno, uprising trance, and I think that's pretty much about it.

I don't expect everyone to like what I like.

Offline Ulli

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2008, 01:51:49 PM »
Question to those who say that Jews should not embrace something associated with black culture (which I kind'ov agree, but not in the same way as you guys). Why wouldn't it be a problem to see a Jew acting like a white guy, for example singing opera or something like that? If you have a problem with the first then you should equally have a problem with the second. (But that's talking about rap that doesn't use profanity words, and doesn't degrade women, etc.)
 The way I see it is that rap is a style, the words that most of the artists use is their own way of using rap.
  By the way scriabbin the video you posted, I had to turn it off after 30 seconds, i cant understand how one can listin to that, but i guess that is your thing.

You compare really Beethoven's Symphony No.9 with primitive jungle noise?

First is like a choir of angels from heaven and second is like a damaged exhaust pipe.

The Klezmer-music of Giora Feidman is perhaps comparable with this piece of music, but not the noises of some savages from the safari.  ;)

Just my oppinion.  :)
"Cities run by progressives don't know how to police. ... Thirty cities went up last night, I went and looked at every one of them. Every one of them has a progressive Democratic mayor." Rudolph Giuliani

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2008, 01:52:46 PM »
I prefer heavy metal, industrial metal, some classical, techno, uprising trance, and I think that's pretty much about it.

I like some metal and rock and electronic music and classical/great.

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2008, 01:53:12 PM »

I like techno/trance also. I hate the rest of what you posted, but the funny thing is that you were the one who has originally posted the criticism of a Jewish rapper while all of these other kinds of music aren't Jewish either. Like i said i would understand someone (like a Rabbi) telling people not to listin to rap and all of these other genres of music (and their are those who say not to listin to any music, or not to listin from bad or unworthy people(which is almost everyone), but if one allows him/herself things like heavy metal and all the other things, then I dont see how they can then criticize rap/ hiphop and R&B, becuase technically they all usually come from bad sources (bad artists, who are not worthy, and give their influence through their music unto you).
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Offline Scriabin

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2008, 01:56:19 PM »
You compare Beethoven's Symphony No.9 with primitive jungle noise?

First is like a choir of angels from heaven and second is like a damaged exhaust pipe.

Just my opinion.  :)

You have the correct 'opinion', Pheasant.

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2008, 01:58:48 PM »

You compare really Beethoven's Symphony No.9 with primitive jungle noise?

The Klezmer-music of Giora Feidman is perhaps comparable with this piece of music, but not the noises of some savages from the safari.  ;)

Just my oppinion.  :)

Okay, but you do realise that almost no one (expecially young people) like that kind of music?

Anyway for the record I dont really listin to rap (unless you count Matisyahu, which is R&B, but still dont really listin to him now). I mostly listin to Trance and Sefardi music.  

Offline Ulli

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #43 on: August 29, 2008, 02:09:21 PM »
Yes I know a lot of young people from all backgrounds and all religions like this kind of music. I don't.  :(

Matisyahu is a totally different style. I like his songs too.

Yesha has played some songs of Mizrachi and Sefaradi music in his radio-show.  :)

But my favourite Jewish music-style is Klezmer:   O0

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2008, 02:16:49 PM »

Tzvi I think first and foremost everyone should be true to their own culture. Jewish people probably should be making primarily Jewish music. However... there's nothing wrong with someone appreciating another culture or even listening to or making music that's traditionally associated with another culture as long as it's not something demeaning and degrading. Everything about "rap" is demeaning and degrading. The lyrics don't really make up for that. I don't see how you could compare it to something beautiful like Italian opera.

Offline Ulli

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #45 on: August 29, 2008, 02:18:06 PM »

Tzvi I think first and foremost everyone should be true to their own culture. Jewish people probably should be making primarily Jewish music. However... there's nothing wrong with someone appreciating another culture or even listening to or making music that's traditionally associated with another culture as long as it's not something demeaning and degrading. Everything about "rap" is demeaning and degrading. The lyrics don't really make up for that. I don't see how you could compare it to something beautiful like Italian opera.

Ruby, Beethoven is not Italian  ;)

Offline nopeaceforland

• Master JTFer
« Reply #46 on: August 29, 2008, 02:21:48 PM »
Oh G-d, WHY would anyone not shvug want to create (C)rap? ::)