Author Topic: Who Is your favourite person in the Torah?  (Read 5702 times)

Offline דוד בן זאב אריה

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Kahane Was Right
    • Facebook Profile
Who Is your favourite person in the Torah?
« on: September 03, 2008, 06:30:09 PM »
Mine would be Miriam, Moshes Sister. She was one of the strongest people in our history. During the time we were slaves in Egypt many people including Moshe said that the Jewish People should stop having childern. Not Miriam she said that we have to fight on and keep having Children. It is thanks to people like her that we are still around and we still have the Torah to read from.
David Ben Ze'ev Aryeh

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
Re: Who Is your favourite person in the Torah?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 06:33:12 PM »
"including Moshe"

Are you sure about that? I think you are referring to Amram Alav Hashalom- who was Moshe's Miriam's and Aron's father.
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

‏119:139 צִמְּתַתְנִי קִנְאָתִי כִּישָׁכְחוּ דְבָרֶיךָ צָרָי
My zeal incenses me, for my adversaries have forgotten Your words.
‏119:141 צָעִיר אָנֹכִי וְנִבְזֶה פִּקֻּדֶיךָ, לֹא שָׁכָחְתִּי.
 I am young and despised; I have not forgotten Your precepts.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Please visit: (The Greatest lectures on Earth).
http://torahanytime.com/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Yossi_Mizrachi/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Zecharia_Wallerstein/

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2008, 06:53:09 PM »
Shalom,

My role-model in Torah is non other than Avraham Avinu. Avraham was tested ten times by Hashem. We was told to leave his fathers house, go to Israel, encountered a famine, had to move down to Egypt, confronted Nimrod and survived being thrown into a fiery furnance, had to throw his slave-wife and son out of his house, had to bring his son Yitzak up for sacrifice. Avraham was the paramount of kindness {Chesed}. On the day of his circumcision he sat in the doorway waiting for passerbys to give Kindness to. As we know he was visited by Angels of Hashem and he passed his tests. As it is written in Ethics of the Fathers:
Mishna 5:3
with ten tests our father Abraham was tested [by G-d] and he withstood them all—in order to make known how great was our father Abraham’s love [for G-d].

Avraham was able to make converts very easily. When he left for Egypt he took with him 70 souls, which are the converts he made. Avraham came from a family whose business it was to make and sell idols. He brought monotheism to the world and his existence has affected the course of history.

I will quote from a variety of sources:

http://www.shemayisrael.co.il/Parasha/kahn/archives/lech67.htm
Torah Attitude: Parashas Lech Lecha: Testing the will to serve G'd's will
Summary

G'd's sole purpose for Abraham's ten tests was to show the world and all future generations the great love Abraham had for his Creator. The question arises, what was the test of leaving his father's house since it appears that Abraham would benefit greatly from it? What was the great difficulty in leaving such a country where Abraham was persecuted and such a father who almost caused his death? Abraham's love for G'd and his readiness to listen to G'd's commandments was his only concern. The Kabbalists explain that the special character traits of the Patriarchs correspond to the first three Sefirot of Chesed (lovingkindness), Gevurah (strength) and Tiferet (beauty). Each of the Patriarchs was tested by G'd suited to their special way of serving Him. Abraham was tested to prove that he was able to go against the character trait of lovingkindness when this was the will of G'd. By putting our Patriarchs through their special tests, G'd established that the Jewish nation would always have the ability to rise to the situation and evaluate what is the will of G'd, as we were shown by our Patriarchs.

Abraham's ten tests

The Mishnah (Pirkei Avos 5:4) states: "Our Patriarch Abraham was tested with ten tests and he withstood them all. [This is] to show to what degree was our Patriarch Abraham's love [for G'd]." From the words of the Mishnah we learn that G'd did not test Abraham to see how he would react. G'd knows and understands every person better than the person himself. G'd's sole purpose for the ten tests was to show the world and all future generations the great love Abraham had for his Creator.

Abraham's benefit

Our sages (Pirkei d'Rabbi Eliezer, Chapter 26) explain that one of these ten tests was the command related in the beginning of this week's Torah portion (Bereishis 12:1) when G'd told Abraham, "Go for yourself, from your land, from your birthplace and from your father's house, to the land that I will show you." Rashi addresses the unusual expression of "go for yourself" and explains that this indicates that it will be for Abraham's own good and for his own benefit. As G'd continues and says (Bereishis 12:2): "And I will make you [Abraham] into a great nation, and I will bless you, and make your name great, and you shall be a blessing … and all the families of the earth shall bless themselves by you." However, the question arises if it was for Abraham's personal gain, why was it considered a test altogether? This is comparable to a childless pauper who is being addressed by a great king. The king promises him that if he will listen to him and go on a special mission to another country he will lavishly reward him with wealth and fame. The king further undertakes to personally ensure that the pauper will be treated by the best doctors for his fertility problem.

Bad father, bad country

If we investigate a little further we find that Abraham was actually having a most difficult time in Ur Kasdim. Rashi quotes from the Midrash Rabba (Bereishis 11:28) that Abraham's father, Terach, had complained to Nimrod, who was the ruler of Ur Kasdim, that Abraham had literally destroyed his business. Terach had a major warehouse of idols and had employed his son, Abraham, to manage his facility. Not only did Abraham preach his new beliefs in monotheism at every opportunity, but he actually destroyed the idols and broke them into pieces. After Terach's complaint, Nimrod put Abraham on trial and condemned him to be burned to death by a fiery furnace. Only due to a miraculous Divine intervention was Abraham saved. The Ramban, at the end of Parashas Noah (Bereishis 11:28), explains that Nimrod put Abraham into prison and later exiled him to the end of his country and confiscated all of his wealth. So what was the great difficulty leaving such a country where he was constantly persecuted, and a father who almost caused his death?

Abraham's only concern

The Or Hachaim answers this question by analyzing the continuation of the events related by the Torah. It says (Bereishis 12:4):"And Abram went as G'd had spoken to him." This verse seems to be redundant, as the Torah in the very next verse gives a detailed description of how Abraham took his wife and nephew and all their belongings and traveled to the land of Canaan. However, says the Or Hachaim, here the Torah points out what motivated Abraham to make this journey. It would have been most natural had he looked forward to all the blessings promised him by G'd and to fulfill G'd's command in order to achieve these blessings. However, the Torah says that there was only one purpose in Abraham's mind: G'd commanded him to go. This in itself was a major test that only G'd, Who knows a person's innermost thoughts and feelings, could verify. And this is what the Mishnah says in Pirkei Avos. The purpose of the tests was to show Abraham's great, unconditional love for G'd. It was neither fame nor wealth that motivated him to follow G'd's instructions. Not even the promise of establishing a family made him go. Abraham's love for G'd and his readiness to listen to G'd's commandments was his sole motivation.

Kabbalistic explanation

We may be able to explain this test on a different level. Our sages explain (see Ramban, Bereishis 17:22) that each of our Patriarchs had their special character trait that they utilized in their service of G'd. The Kabbalists explain that these special character traits correspond to the first three Sefirot of Chesed (lovingkindness), Gevurah (strength) and Tiferet (beauty). This in turn corresponds to what the Mishnah (Pirkei Avos 1:2) teaches are the three pillars of the world: Torah study (Tiferet), service of G'd (Gevurah), and kind deeds (Chesed). The Jewish nation, whose mission is to put these character traits into practice, also stands on these three pillars, represented by our three Patriarchs. Although they all utilized all three character traits, each one had his own special way of serving G'd. Abraham represents Chesed as he served G'd through his kind deeds to his fellow human beings. The Talmud (Sotah 10b) relates how Abraham was most hospitable to all wayfarers and had a guest house open available to everyone. Isaac represents Gevurah, and specialized in serving G'd through his great fear and awe of G'd. He reached the highest level of self-sacrifice at the test of the Akeidah where he was ready to let himself be sacrificed for the honour of G'd. Jacob represents Tiferet as he combined the two character traits of his father and grandfather in beautiful harmony and served G'd through his study and teaching of Torah.

Suited tests

Each of the Patriarchs was tested by G'd according to their special way of serving Him. Jacob, who excelled in the study of Torah, was known as a man, guided in every action by the truth of the Torah. As it says (Micah 7:20) "Give truth to Jacob, kindness to Abraham". That is why Jacob's main test was how he would react to situations where he was forced to deviate from the accepted norm of truth and trust. Jacob had to go against his regular conduct when he went to receive the blessings from Isaac (see Bereishis 27:6-29), and again later when he had to deal with Laban (ibid 29:15-28 and 30:27-31:13, see also Torah Attitude: Parashas Toldos: The complete truth and nothing but the truth). Rabbi Dessler explains that he was expected to understand what G'd wanted him to do in every situation, and not just what was considered to be truth by conventional standards. Similarly, Isaac, whose whole ambition in life was to quietly serve his Master, was disturbed time and again and for a while had to constantly move from one place to another (see Bereishis 26:1-33).

Abraham's lovingkindness

In a similar way, we can understand Abraham's test of moving away from his country and from his father's house. Abraham, whose whole purpose in life was lovingkindness, was tested to prove that he was able to go against this character trait, when this was the will of G'd. The Midrash Rabba (39:7) relates that Abraham was scared to leave his father as it may cause a desecration of G'd's name. Abraham said, "People will say, 'look at Abraham who left his father at an old age." G'd answered him, "I free you from the obligation to honour your father (see also Rashi, Bereishis 11:32). This was a difficult test for Abraham as he was expected to go against his regular conduct of lovingkindness. A similar test was later given to Abraham in regards to his wife and son when he was commanded to send away Hagar and Ishmael (see Bereishis 21:9-14).

Will of G'd

Many people have good character traits by nature such as lovingkindness, truthfulness, etc. However, when put to a test they cannot go against their nature. When G'd established the Jewish nation through our three Patriarchs, He established our nation on a foundation of the character traits of lovingkindness, service of G'd and truthfulness. However, G'd made sure that these character traits would not be taken to extremes, where they contradict His will. By putting our Patriarchs through their special tests, G'd established that the Jewish nation would always have the ability to emulate the way of our Patriarchs and rise to any situation and evaluate what is the will of G'd.

And as we know we remember Avraham in the 2nd blessing of the Amidah:
http://www.chabad.org/multimedia/media_cdo/aid/692813/jewish/38.-Shemoneh-Esrei-First-3-Brachot.htm
Ba-ruch a-tah Ha-Shem
ma-gein Av-ra-ham.

muman613
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 07:00:58 PM by muman613 »
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Ben Yehuda

• Director Of Marketing
  • Master JTFer
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2008, 09:58:32 PM »
Moshe

Offline The One and Only Mo

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2008, 01:08:29 AM »
Yisro. "Now I know that Hashem is the greatest out of all the gods." Yisro also was also the architect of the judicial system at the time, as he gave Moshe advice on how to construct the most effective system of court.  He also represents the epitomy of teshuvah and proves that even the most far removed people can still choose the right path. Plus, Yisro was my bar mitzvah Parsha :)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2008, 04:43:03 AM »
Yisro. "Now I know that Hashem is the greatest out of all the gods." Yisro also was also the architect of the judicial system at the time, as he gave Moshe advice on how to construct the most effective system of court.  He also represents the epitomy of teshuvah and proves that even the most far removed people can still choose the right path. Plus, Yisro was my bar mitzvah Parasha :)
Shalom mo1988,

My Bar Mitzvah portion is Mishpatim which is right after Yitro. I love both Yitro and Mishpatim because they are the parshas of the Asirah Hadibrot {10 Sayings}.

I dont know about Yitro though. He was a master of Avodah Zarah. In many senses you are right that he is the prototypical convert to Judaism. He realized the awesomeness of Hashem and put down his idols and his black magic. He is also righteous because he helped Moshe when he needed help in Midian and fed him and gave him his daughter Zipporah as as wife. Because of his mercy and his Chesed, loving kindness, he merited being brought into the Jewish family.

You know that Yitro established the justice system which delegated from Moshe the power to judge the people. It is no coincidence that Mishpatim contains many mitzvahs for judges. I am looking at the Parsha right now. It is written:
Shemos 22:27-23:17
22:27. You shall not curse a judge, neither shall you curse a prince among your people. 28. Your fullness offering and your heave offering you shall not delay; the firstborn of your sons you shall give Me. 29. So shall you do with your cattle and with your sheep: seven days it shall be with its mother, on the eighth day you may give it to Me. 30. And you shall be holy people to Me, and flesh torn in the field you shall not eat; you shall throw it to the dogs.

Chapter 23
1. You shall not accept a false report; do not place your hand with a wicked person to be a false witness. 2. You shall not follow the majority for evil, and you shall not respond concerning a lawsuit to follow many to pervert [justice]. 3. Neither shall you glorify a poor man in his lawsuit. 4. If you come upon your enemy's bull or his stray donkey, you shall surely return it to him. 5. If you see your enemy's donkey lying under its burden would you refrain from helping him? You shall surely help along with him. 6. You shall not pervert the judgment of your poor man in his lawsuit. 7. Distance yourself from a false matter; and do not kill a truly innocent person or one who has been declared innocent, for I will not vindicate a guilty person. 8. You shall not accept a bribe, for a bribe will blind the clear sighted and corrupt words that are right. 9. And you shall not oppress a stranger, for you know the feelings of the stranger, since you were strangers in the land of Egypt. 10. Six years you may sow your land and gather in its produce. 11. But in the seventh [year] you shall release it and abandon it; the poor of your people shall eat [it], and what they leave over, the beasts of the field shall eat. So shall you do to your vineyard [and] to your olive trees. 12. Six days you may do your work, but on the seventh day you shall rest, in order that your ox and your donkey shall rest, and your maidservant's son and the stranger shall be refreshed. 13. Concerning all that I have said to you you shall beware, and the name of the gods of others you shall not mention; it shall not be heard through your mouth. 14. Three times you shall slaughter sacrifices to Me during the year. 15. You shall observe the festival of unleavened bread; for seven days you shall eat unleavened bread as I have commanded you, at the appointed time of the month of springtime, for then you left Egypt, and they shall not appear before Me empty handed. 16. And the festival of the harvest, the first fruits of your labors, which you will sow in the field, and the festival of the ingathering at the departure of the year, when you gather in [the products of] your labors from the field. 17. Three times during the year, all your males shall appear before the Master, the Lord.

I think you and I value the aspect of Chesed which is the hand of Hashem to the Jewish people. Hashem is our father in heaven and we are his people and as Hashem is merciful, so are we.

muman613
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline Ulli

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2008, 06:26:57 AM »
Jakob and Josef are mine.
"Cities run by progressives don't know how to police. ... Thirty cities went up last night, I went and looked at every one of them. Every one of them has a progressive Democratic mayor." Rudolph Giuliani

Offline The One and Only Mo

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2008, 08:02:52 AM »
Yisro. "Now I know that Hashem is the greatest out of all the gods." Yisro also was also the architect of the judicial system at the time, as he gave Moshe advice on how to construct the most effective system of court.  He also represents the epitomy of teshuvah and proves that even the most far removed people can still choose the right path. Plus, Yisro was my bar mitzvah Parasha :)
Shalom mo1988,

My Bar Mitzvah portion is Mishpatim which is right after Yitro. I love both Yitro and Mishpatim because they are the Parashat of the Asirah Hadibrot {10 Sayings}.

I dont know about Yitro though. He was a master of Avodah Zarah. In many senses you are right that he is the prototypical convert to Judaism. He realized the awesomeness of Hashem and put down his idols and his black magic. He is also righteous because he helped Moshe when he needed help in Midian and fed him and gave him his daughter Zipporah as as wife. Because of his mercy and his Chesed, loving kindness, he merited being brought into the Jewish family.

You know that Yitro established the justice system which delegated from Moshe the power to judge the people. It is no coincidence that Mishpatim contains many mitzvahs for judges. I am looking at the Parasha right now. It is written:
Shemos 22:27-23:17
22:27. You shall not curse a judge, neither shall you curse a prince among your people. 28. Your fullness offering and your heave offering you shall not delay; the firstborn of your sons you shall give Me. 29. So shall you do with your cattle and with your sheep: seven days it shall be with its mother, on the eighth day you may give it to Me. 30. And you shall be holy people to Me, and flesh torn in the field you shall not eat; you shall throw it to the dogs.

Chapter 23
1. You shall not accept a false report; do not place your hand with a wicked person to be a false witness. 2. You shall not follow the majority for evil, and you shall not respond concerning a lawsuit to follow many to pervert [justice]. 3. Neither shall you glorify a poor man in his lawsuit. 4. If you come upon your enemy's bull or his stray donkey, you shall surely return it to him. 5. If you see your enemy's donkey lying under its burden would you refrain from helping him? You shall surely help along with him. 6. You shall not pervert the judgment of your poor man in his lawsuit. 7. Distance yourself from a false matter; and do not kill a truly innocent person or one who has been declared innocent, for I will not vindicate a guilty person. 8. You shall not accept a bribe, for a bribe will blind the clear sighted and corrupt words that are right. 9. And you shall not oppress a stranger, for you know the feelings of the stranger, since you were strangers in the land of Egypt. 10. Six years you may sow your land and gather in its produce. 11. But in the seventh [year] you shall release it and abandon it; the poor of your people shall eat [it], and what they leave over, the beasts of the field shall eat. So shall you do to your vineyard [and] to your olive trees. 12. Six days you may do your work, but on the seventh day you shall rest, in order that your ox and your donkey shall rest, and your maidservant's son and the stranger shall be refreshed. 13. Concerning all that I have said to you you shall beware, and the name of the gods of others you shall not mention; it shall not be heard through your mouth. 14. Three times you shall slaughter sacrifices to Me during the year. 15. You shall observe the festival of unleavened bread; for seven days you shall eat unleavened bread as I have commanded you, at the appointed time of the month of springtime, for then you left Egypt, and they shall not appear before Me empty handed. 16. And the festival of the harvest, the first fruits of your labors, which you will sow in the field, and the festival of the ingathering at the departure of the year, when you gather in [the products of] your labors from the field. 17. Three times during the year, all your males shall appear before the Master, the Lord.

I think you and I value the aspect of Chesed which is the hand of Hashem to the Jewish people. Hashem is our father in heaven and we are his people and as Hashem is merciful, so are we.

muman613

Yep. Olam Chessed Yibaneh O0   And when it comes to all the other people in the Torah, I feel as if that they were so above and beyond this world that  for the level they were on you'd almost have to expect the kindness that swelled from them. Not to take anything away from them, Chas V'Shalom, but all in all, Yitro still appeals to me more because unlike the Tzadikim before him, he was a bona-fide Rasha, and he converted for reasons that affected him indirectly.

Offline takebackourtemple

• Master JTFer
  • May this be the year that the temple is liberated.
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2008, 06:57:50 PM »
In the five books of Moshe, it would be Moshe for bringing us out of Egypt. In the torah up to the destruction of the second temple it is a Tie between David Hamelech and Judah the Macabee.
Does it bother you that you have to face the dome and the rock to say the sh'ma?

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2008, 07:02:25 PM »
Shimon and Levi  O0
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

‏119:139 צִמְּתַתְנִי קִנְאָתִי כִּישָׁכְחוּ דְבָרֶיךָ צָרָי
My zeal incenses me, for my adversaries have forgotten Your words.
‏119:141 צָעִיר אָנֹכִי וְנִבְזֶה פִּקֻּדֶיךָ, לֹא שָׁכָחְתִּי.
 I am young and despised; I have not forgotten Your precepts.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Please visit: (The Greatest lectures on Earth).
http://torahanytime.com/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Yossi_Mizrachi/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Zecharia_Wallerstein/

Offline AsheDina

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • PSALMS 129:5 "ZION" THE Cornerstone.
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2008, 08:06:56 AM »
Josef- the story of Josef is INCREDIBLE.
SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל
I endorse NO Presidential Candidates

Offline Christian Zionist

• Master JTFer
  • homosexuality is an abomination to God-Lev.18:22
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2008, 01:13:29 PM »
1. Jacob
2. Joseph
3. Moses
Isaiah 62:1 -  For Zion's sake I am not silent, And for Jerusalem's sake I do not rest, Till her righteousness go out as brightness, And her salvation, as a torch that burns.

Offline JusticeForIsrael

• New JTFer
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2008, 09:26:28 PM »
Abraham is mine...He is the one who stood on HaShem's side while the rest of the world served idols...Also without him Am Yisrael would not exist

"There were ten generations from Noah to Abraham - To show the degree of His patience; for all those generations angered Him increasingly, until our forfather Abraham came and received the reward of them all"
Pirkei Avot 5:3

Offline AryehYehudah

• Senior JTFer
  • Down with Islam, Self-Hating Jews and Jew Haters
    • Arutz Sheva 7 Israel National News
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2008, 02:19:24 AM »
Mine would be Miriam, Moshes Sister. She was one of the strongest people in our history. During the time we were slaves in Egypt many people including Moshe said that the Jewish People should stop having childern. Not Miriam she said that we have to fight on and keep having Children. It is thanks to people like her that we are still around and we still have the Torah to read from.

If Miriam was so great, how come G-d afflicted her with tzaraat?  I talked to someone once who told me G-d and Moshe rebelled against Miriam, as they were jealous of her power.  However, I do not buy that argument.  Anyone with tzaraath was tamei(Leviticus 13-14) The Rabbis of the Talmud noted that Aaron did not receive the same punishment as his sister, otherwise he would no longer have been able to perform his duties as high priest.

My favorite people in the Torah are the following:
1. Avraham
2. Moshe
3. Yaakov
4. Yosef

However, if you speak after Seret Torah:
1. Eliyahu
2. David
3. Shlomo
4. Daniyel
5. Yehudah Ha Makabi
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 02:31:52 AM by AryehYehudah »

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2008, 02:31:16 AM »
<snip>
If Miriam was so great, how come G-d afflicted her with tzaraath?  I talked to someone once who told me G-d and Moshe rebelled against Miriam, as they were jealous of her power.  However, I do not buy that argument.

<snip>

AryehYehudah,

You don't know why Miriam was struck with Tzarath? It is because she spoke against Moshe, she spoke Lashon Hara. She had asked why Moshe was not more intimate with his wife Tzippora. She did not mean anything wrong by asking because Miriam felt that Moshe should treat his wife more intimately. Moshe was the way he was because Hashem wanted him to dedicate himself to Hashems people. Because Miriam spoke lashon hara against Moshe she was struck with the tzaras.

I will find some examples of what I am saying...

muman613

http://www.torah.org/learning/ravfrand/5763/metzora.html

Both Parashat Tazria and Parashat Metzora deal extensively with the laws of Tzaraas. The Talmud [Eruchin 15b] says that the plague of Tzaraas is a consequence of the sin of Lashon Harah [improper speech]. Tzaraas was a 'miraculous' disease, which occurred when the Bais Hamikdash was still standing. If a person spoke evil about someone else, first his home was affected. If he did not repent, his clothes were affected. If he still did not repent, his body was ultimately affected. He had to separate from civilization. He was publicly proclaimed an "impure person" as a result of his evil speech.

In Parashat Ki Teizeh, the Torah writes "Guard against the plague of Tzaraas, guard exceedingly and do all that will be instructed to you by the Kohanim, the Levites. As I commanded them, thus you shall observe to do." [Devorim 24:8] Immediately after this pasuk, the Torah commands [24:9] "Remember that which HaShem your G-d did to Miriam on the road at the time you went out of Egypt."

Miriam spoke "lashon hara" about her brother. She was stricken with "Tzaraas". As a result, she was sent outside the camp. The Torah is reminding us about this event.

When Miriam was sent outside the camp as a result of her "Tzaraas", the entire camp waited for her for seven days. No one traveled. No one moved forward. Everyone waited for Miriam. [Bamidbar 12:1-16]

Why did they wait for her? Why didn't they move on and force her to catch up with them later? Our Sages teach us that the Jewish people waited for Miriam as a 'reward' or 'payback' to her for having waited for her brother, Moshe, when his basket was placed in the Nile [Shmos 2:4]. Now the Jewish People waited for her.

If we were in Miriam's shoes, we might very well have not wanted such a 'payback'. If she had the option, she might very well have preferred that the Jewish nation travel on without her, with the intent of "catching up with them" later. Most likely, the last thing she would have wanted would have been to cause everyone to wait for a whole week with nowhere to go. Everyone would be asking one another "Why aren't we moving?" The answer would be "It is Miriam's fault. It is because she spoke evil words about her brother." What kind of 'reward' or proper 'payback' is this for her?
"...and concerning this matter we are warned in the Torah. 'Remember that which HaShem your G-d did to Miriam on the road'. The Torah is saying, contemplate what happened to the prophetess Miriam. She spoke about her younger brother who she loved and helped raise. She had endangered her own life to save him from the Nile. She (furthermore) did not speak malicious evil about him. She just erred by equating his greatness to that of other prophets (who do not separate themselves from their wives). And Moshe was not bothered by any of her comments, as it is written 'And the man Moshe was extremely modest'. And nevertheless she was immediately punished with Tzaraas. Kal v'Chomer [how much more so] how great a punishment will be coming to those wicked fools who frequently speak great and wondrous (criticisms).

The Rambam is saying that Miriam's Lashon HaRah is really not typical Lashon HaRah. It was not said maliciously. It was not said to harm anyone. It did not harm anyone. It was an innocent mistake. But such is the power of Lashon HaRah -- whether it is ill intended or well intended, it is like poison. Regardless of the reason why poison is taken, it kills. The same is true regarding Lashon HaRah.

PS: Miriam was very righteous and deserves much respect and admiration. Without her there would have never been a Moshe. Her father had almost vowed to have no more children if not for Miriams incredibly wise words.

Offline AryehYehudah

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2008, 02:36:09 AM »
Ok, I would like to learn about it. 

This is something I have read from Judaism 101 site..  This has always confused me.  I mean, it seems she was perhaps one of the greatest women of Torah, but then she commited when seemed to be a bad crime, by rebelling against Moshe's authority and then condemning him in his marriage to a Cushite.  I am not an expert on this, but it is what I perceived from reading about it.  I like to hear more of what other people have to say who have more knowledge.

Like her brothers, Miriam was not perfect. She led her brother Aaron to speak against Moses over a matter involving a Cushite woman he had married (Zipporah, or possibly a second wife) (Num. 12:1). They also objected to his leadership, noting that he had no monopoly on Divine Communication (Num 12:2). For this, Miriam was punished with tzaaras (an affliction generally translated as leprosy) (Num. 12:10). However, Aaron pled on her behalf, and she was cured (Num. 12:11).

Offline AryehYehudah

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2008, 02:39:15 AM »
Ok, I just read your post right after I posted mine.  This is great explanation and I accept it.  Thank you for educating me on this. 

Offline Raulmarrio2000

• Master JTFer
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2008, 06:25:12 AM »
Ephrayim

Offline judeanoncapta

• Master JTFer
  • Rebuild it now!!!!
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2008, 04:19:25 PM »
Daweedh. The greatest king in history.

May we see the throne of Daweedh re-established sppeedily in our days, Amen.
Post questions here for the ASK JUDEA TORAH SHOW

my blog: Yehudi-Nation

Who is truly wise? He who can see the future. I see tommorow today and I want to end it - Rabbi Meir Daweedh Kahana

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2008, 06:09:40 PM »
Yehoshua Ben Nun.

Offline Shlomo

• Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • SAVE ISRAEL!
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2008, 09:19:13 PM »
I really like this thread.

Obviously Avraham (his dedication and love for Hashem), Moshe (the greatest prophet that ever lived), David Hamelech (I wish Yisrael had another king that could fill even a tenth of his shoes)...

But I have to admit that I really like Shlomo Hamelech even though it didn't end so well. I relate to him the most and not just because it's my Hebrew name. I always felt that wisdom was much more valuable than money and it made a huge impact on me when I was very young.

He wrote Kohelet (Ecclesiastes), Mishlei (Proverbs), Shir Hashirim (Song of Songs), and he was a great warrior, a musician, and a poet. Plus he carried out his father's dream and built the Beit HaMikdash and that's exactly what I would like to see happen today, G-d willing.

Let kindness and truth never leave you; tie them around your neck; write them on the tablet of your heart -Mishlei 3:3

Every wise woman builds her house; the foolish one destroys it with her own hands. -Mishlei 14:1

He was so deep and his life was full of such meaning.
"In the final analysis, for the believer there are no questions, and for the non-believer there are no answers." -Chofetz Chaim