Author Topic: First UK Sharia court up and running in Warwickshire  (Read 3508 times)

Offline Ulli

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
First UK Sharia court up and running in Warwickshire
« on: September 10, 2008, 02:11:50 PM »
 Sep 9 2008  By Les Reid

A MUSLIM college in Warwickshire is running the UK's first official sharia law court.

The Muslim Arbitration Tribunal has used sharia law to settle more than 100 civil disputes between Muslims across the UK since it opened last December.

The tribunal, which runs along side the British legal system, was set up by scholars and lawyers at Hijaz College Islamic University in Watling Street, Nuneaton.

The Lord Chief Justice, Lord Phillips, recently said there was no reason why sharia law, derived from several sources including the Koran, could not be used for contractual agreements and marital disputes.

Cases already heard in Nuneaton include an inheritance dispute between three sisters and their two brothers, a divorce and a neighbour dispute.

In the inheritance case, the men were given double their sisters' inheritance.

The divorce hearing ruled that a Somalian woman should be granted an Islamic khula (annulment) despite her husband's strong objections.

And in the neighbourhood dispute, the tribunal ruled that the losing party - a group of young Muslim graduates - should teach the winning party, who had young children.

Faisal Aqtab Siddiqi, a commercial law barrister and head of Hijaz College, has sat in judgment at a number of the tribunals.

He said it was not the same as unofficial sharia courts reported to be in operation across the country.

He said: "We are trying to supplement English law by helping the British citizen not to be forced into or coerced into marriage."

The Bishop of Rochester, the Rt Rev Dr Michael NazirAli, who was born in Pakistan and has both a Christian and Muslim family background, said he was concerned that people might feel coerced into accepting sharia arbitration.

Dr Nazir-Ali, who converted from Islam to Christianity, warned that recognising the tribunals could lead to discrimination, particularly against Muslim women.

The Muslim Arbitration Tribunal operates in tandem with the British legal system, and decisions challenged by the losing party will be upheld by a county court bailiff or high court sheriff.

The Nuneaton tribunal cannot force anyone to come within its jurisdiction. But once someone agrees to settle a dispute at the tribunal, he or she is bound in English law to abide by the court's decision.

Mr Siddiqi said: "As long as the parties have submitted to the tribunal's jurisdiction, a county court bailiff or high court sheriff can enforce our decisions.

"If the losing party objects, the winning one has to apply to the county court or high court who will enforce the tribunals' decisions, as long as they are reasonable.

"What we decide will be upheld by the British courts as long as both parties agree to submit to our jurisdiction in the first place."

The only exception in which both parties must submit to the court's jurisdiction is divorce cases.

"The tribunal can grant a Muslim woman an annulment irrespective of the husband's wishes.

"This is to enable her to marry again without being considered to be living in sin.

The college is at Higham Hall, a former stately home. A £5 million expansion aims to to raise student accommodation capacity from 125 to 750.

Source: http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/north-warwickshire-news/2008/09/09/first-uk-sharia-court-up-and-running-in-warwickshire-92746-21708478/

Thanks to http://pi-news.net for the issue
"Cities run by progressives don't know how to police. ... Thirty cities went up last night, I went and looked at every one of them. Every one of them has a progressive Democratic mayor." Rudolph Giuliani

Offline 2honest

• Senior JTFer
  • MayIsraelPrevail
Re: First UK Sharia court up and running in Warwickshire
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2008, 03:43:19 PM »
I really wonder if things in GB can be straightened up again. May be it's better for the rest of Europe if they keep on being "tolerante" and completely fail. I know thats not very nice especially towards decent British folks, but possibly other countries learn from what happens in GB and adjust their policy.

Offline Ambiorix

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • There is no "Istanbul"
    • Brussels Journal
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2008, 06:02:30 PM »
I hope The Welsh and Scottish and Irish can separate themselves frmo the UK quickly....
UK is even worse then Belgium....

Remember that 9-11 protest in Brussels last year?
It has again been forbidden to protest against Islam..

Another protest, to "reopen" the investigation of 9-11, and against war/capitalism/etc is however alowed...

>:(
Turkey must get out of NATO. NATO must get out of Kosovo-Serbia. Croats must get out of Crajina. All muslims must get out of Christian and Jewish land. Turks must get out of Cyprus. Turks must get out of "Istanbul". "Palestinians" must get out of Israel. Israel must become independent from USA.

Offline bongoid

• Full JTFer
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2008, 09:16:04 PM »
 :( It   is the beginning of the end of  Great Britain unless they can adopt some "Kahanism".
How sad as they could have continued as a great nation as they were at various times in the past (not counting their abominable behavior in Pre-state Israel & Ireland)

:-* Kiss it all goodbye, limey's ! Saudi Britannia here we come !!

Offline Ambiorix

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • There is no "Istanbul"
    • Brussels Journal
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2008, 05:16:18 AM »
They need some decent folks in Great Britain to go spread around some pigs' blood and carcasses in that place.

Any attack on muzzies these days is countered by the mainstream mass media by saying "look now you do the same to the muslim minorities as what was done to the Jews."
Turkey must get out of NATO. NATO must get out of Kosovo-Serbia. Croats must get out of Crajina. All muslims must get out of Christian and Jewish land. Turks must get out of Cyprus. Turks must get out of "Istanbul". "Palestinians" must get out of Israel. Israel must become independent from USA.

Offline Cato

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2008, 02:50:40 PM »
I hope The Welsh and Scottish and Irish can separate themselves frmo the UK quickly....
 >:(

Don't worry. I stood for Parliament in the 70's for the Welsh Nationalists when everybody thought us mad. They don't think that any more..

Offline TavorIMI

• Full JTFer
    • UK Right to Keep and Bear Arms.
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2008, 06:00:52 PM »
I really wonder if things in GB can be straightened up again. May be it's better for the rest of Europe if they keep on being "tolerante" and completely fail. I know thats not very nice especially towards decent British folks, but possibly other countries learn from what happens in GB and adjust their policy.

I'm beginning to doubt if anything can be done to save the ignorant, (in the true sense of the word) Brits. I tell people time and time again that this country is going down the tubes and it's THEIR OWN FAULT!  >:(

The Brits won't wake up until the muSSie scum nazis are breaking down their doors and forcing all girls and women to wear black bin liners!

When it gets that bad then hopefully the cops will look the other way when us minority "real" men take up arms and shoots these nazi scum.

By the way if the US elect that muSSie hussain g_d help us all.

Think I'll just buy a plane ticked for Israel...
Shalom to you all from the UK.

Offline Cato

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 05:48:43 AM »
I'm beginning to doubt if anything can be done to save the ignorant, (in the true sense of the word) Brits. I tell people time and time again that this country is going down the tubes and it's THEIR OWN FAULT!  >:(

The Brits won't wake up until the muSSie scum nazis are breaking down their doors and forcing all girls and women to wear black bin liners!

When it gets that bad then hopefully the cops will look the other way when us minority "real" men take up arms and shoots these nazi scum.

By the way if the US elect that muSSie hussain g_d help us all.

Think I'll just buy a plane ticked for Israel...

Unfortunately, Islam is Cancer (where is he?) had a point. He said that the UK needs a few more bombs.