Author Topic: I'm curious about your opinions about the Yiddish language  (Read 2532 times)

Offline Masha

• Master JTFer
Re: I'm curious about your opinions about the Yiddish language
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2009, 03:09:59 PM »
Just learn German and throw a little Hebrew and Russian in it and bam, you've got Yiddish!  Oye!

Very true.

One time I was flying Luftansa and was speaking with my friend in Yiddish and the German stewardess understood me and addressed me in German for the rest of the flight.

Judeanoncapta,

If you know Yiddish, can you tell me something? Or someone else who does? There is a Yiddish expression that my grandma used that I remember from my childhood. It sounded like: "kish ein tsop under veidl" and it means "kiss a donkey (or a billy-goat, I don't remember) under its tail." Is this recognizable? Which is it and what is the correct pronounciation?

Offline Raulmarrio2000

• Master JTFer
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2009, 03:25:06 PM »
Yiddish is mostly Old German. But it became a Jewish language long ago, like Ladino in Spain. It's good to preserve it.

Offline Ulli

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2009, 03:30:24 PM »
I think the translation is correct.

Kish = Küss = Kiss

ein = ein = a

Tzop = Ziege = Goat

under = unter = under

(dem)

veidel = Wedel = Schwanz (more common) = Tail

But I am not 100% shure about Tzop
"Cities run by progressives don't know how to police. ... Thirty cities went up last night, I went and looked at every one of them. Every one of them has a progressive Democratic mayor." Rudolph Giuliani

Offline JewishAmericanPatriot

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2009, 04:43:14 PM »
I LOVE Yiddish! I don't speak it fluently (due to my hearing impairment, I have trouble understanding spoken words), but I can read it rather well. I taught myself how to read it with some help from an elderly neighbor in my childhood community. I also have many books about Yiddish and in Yiddish, and am trying to teach some to my children.

I was raised around Yiddish speakers only; as for Hebrew, I only know synagogue Hebrew, not secular Hebrew (which IMO is a good thing!)

To this day the expressions I am most comfortable with which refer to Hashem are the Yiddish terms (such as der Aybishter.)
JOIN THE ANTI-OBAMA RESISTANCE!

America's Last Stand: http://americaslaststand.angelfire.com

SAVAGE INGRATITUDE: http://www.savageingratitude.com