Author Topic: Tasteful Jewish clothes for women  (Read 15440 times)

Offline Masha

• Master JTFer
Tasteful Jewish clothes for women
« on: January 19, 2009, 04:42:46 AM »
Apropos traditional Jewish clothing, I found these on the Internet. I find these tasteful and beautiful. They are modest, and yet they don't transform women into ugly black ghosts, like islamic clothes.

What do you all think of these?

http://www.israelvisit.co.il/beged-ivri/catalogue/Dresses.htm#Dress

Offline AsheDina

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • PSALMS 129:5 "ZION" THE Cornerstone.
Re: Tasteful Jewish clothes for women
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 08:46:30 AM »
I LIKE all of these clothes, if I lived in Israel I would always dress this way- it is gorgeous, plus I like HATS- I would wear hats all the time, like I do here. I sort of dress this way when I go out and dress nice already, for casual, I dont know why, I wear black with silver.
SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל
I endorse NO Presidential Candidates

Offline judeanoncapta

• Master JTFer
  • Rebuild it now!!!!
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 08:48:45 AM »
Nice looking, but not historically accurate as to what Israelite women wore in biblical times.
Post questions here for the ASK JUDEA TORAH SHOW

my blog: Yehudi-Nation

Who is truly wise? He who can see the future. I see tommorow today and I want to end it - Rabbi Meir Daweedh Kahana

Offline Ulli

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 09:43:57 AM »
A little bit offtopic: I like the white shirts of Jewish orthodox men. Is there a place to buy them?  :)
"Cities run by progressives don't know how to police. ... Thirty cities went up last night, I went and looked at every one of them. Every one of them has a progressive Democratic mayor." Rudolph Giuliani

Offline Spectator

• Master JTFer
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 09:59:47 AM »
A little bit offtopic: I like the white shirts of Jewish orthodox men. Is there a place to buy them?  :)

These are regular white shirts. There is nothing special in them :)
Do not put your trust in princes, nor in a son of man, in whom there is no help (Psalms 146:3)

Offline Ulli

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 10:30:48 AM »
Really? They look always great.
"Cities run by progressives don't know how to police. ... Thirty cities went up last night, I went and looked at every one of them. Every one of them has a progressive Democratic mayor." Rudolph Giuliani

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2009, 10:40:26 AM »
Masha, questions don't get more stupid than that one!

I wish women would stop asking these silly questions of what looks nice.

If the woman looks nice, she looks nice in "it"!
If the woman doesn't look nice, she doesn't look nice in "it"!

Interesting pictures though.

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2009, 10:45:06 AM »
Nice looking, but not historically accurate as to what Israelite women wore in biblical times.

the word treif is translated for benefit of others!

judea-
Is this a scarf like tallit, and are they treif(not kosher)?

http://www.israelvisit.co.il/beged-ivri/catalogue/TallitWoven.JPG

I heard that the reform/conservative wear the scarf like tallit, and a kosher tallit has to be the cape style, going a good extent down the back.

Offline judeanoncapta

• Master JTFer
  • Rebuild it now!!!!
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2009, 10:57:26 AM »
Actually, q_q_, halakhically a talith only has to be large enough to cover the head and the torso of a child.

I don't know the exact measurement but it seems like it must be double or triple the width of a scarf.

Who is truly wise? He who can see the future. I see tommorow today and I want to end it - Rabbi Meir Daweedh Kahana

Offline ✡ Hindu Zionist ॐ

• Master JTFer
  • India- Most pro-Israel country of the world!
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2009, 11:35:37 AM »
these do very much look like the "Kurtis" the Indian traditional dress women were.

Offline Masha

• Master JTFer
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2009, 11:52:17 AM »

What did they wear? Do you have a link to pictures?

Offline Masha

• Master JTFer
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2009, 11:56:22 AM »
Masha, questions don't get more stupid than that one!

Interesting pictures though.

Don't know if I agree with this. There are always things that can make one look better or worse, depending on individual complexion, face, and figure.

Besides, every woman looks good to some man. If there were only one standard of beauty, the majority of men and women would be undesirable to the opposite sex.

Offline Masha

• Master JTFer
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2009, 12:04:03 PM »
I LIKE all of these clothes, if I lived in Israel I would always dress this way- it is gorgeous, plus I like HATS- I would wear hats all the time, like I do here. I sort of dress this way when I go out and dress nice already, for casual, I dont know why, I wear black with silver.

I even like the veils, because they are diaphonous and don't cover the entire hair, but rather decorate it.

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2009, 12:17:52 PM »
I like C, F and G. 

Offline Spectator

• Master JTFer
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2009, 12:37:06 PM »

I hope you don't tell such things to you wife (or you are not serious when talking her such things ;D)

Looking good is very important for women. It's important component of their psychology.

As long as it does not breach the bounds of modesty, Judaism appreciates and encourages women to look good.
Do not put your trust in princes, nor in a son of man, in whom there is no help (Psalms 146:3)

Offline Masha

• Master JTFer
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2009, 04:19:22 PM »
I like C, F and G. 

I like the last two the best, I think.

Offline Masha

• Master JTFer
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2009, 04:22:28 PM »
As long as it does not breach the bounds of modesty, Judaism appreciates and encourages women to look good.

Yes, I think there are two meanings of looking attractive. The first is in the aesthetic sense. The second is in the sexual sense. Beautiful clothes in the aesthetic sense are completely appropriate, IMHO, both for men and women.

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2009, 04:29:09 PM »
A ,B (except that the skirt should be longer down. and F (the little picture) are good I think .

Some of them I dont like, reminds me of hippies.
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

‏119:139 צִמְּתַתְנִי קִנְאָתִי כִּישָׁכְחוּ דְבָרֶיךָ צָרָי
My zeal incenses me, for my adversaries have forgotten Your words.
‏119:141 צָעִיר אָנֹכִי וְנִבְזֶה פִּקֻּדֶיךָ, לֹא שָׁכָחְתִּי.
 I am young and despised; I have not forgotten Your precepts.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Please visit: (The Greatest lectures on Earth).
http://torahanytime.com/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Yossi_Mizrachi/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Zecharia_Wallerstein/

Offline Ulli

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2009, 04:37:11 PM »
A ,B (except that the skirt should be longer down. and F (the little picture) are good I think .

Some of them I dont like, reminds me of hippies.

I like A too. It looks strict, portly and decent.

Offline judeanoncapta

• Master JTFer
  • Rebuild it now!!!!
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2009, 04:37:31 PM »

No, but in chapter 6 of tractate shabbath, it names a whole bunch of types of clothing, headdresses and jewelry that Jewish women wore 2000 years ago. I can't go into detail right now but it also mentions certain types of clothing in Isiaiah.

Although the clothing mentioned in the Mishna are easier to define since we have more archaelogical evidence for 2000 years ago rather than 2700 years ago. check out torahmuseum.com if you are ever in Boro Park, Brooklyn. They have alot of ancient jewelry and items worn by jewish women both 2000 years ago and in biblical times. Including Golden Forehead ornaments and noserings and bicep bracelets.

Offline Masha

• Master JTFer
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2009, 04:54:39 PM »

No, but in chapter 6 of tractate shabbath, it names a whole bunch of types of clothing, headdresses and jewelry that Jewish women wore 2000 years ago. I can't go into detail right now but it also mentions certain types of clothing in Isiaiah.

Although the clothing mentioned in the Mishna are easier to define since we have more archaelogical evidence for 2000 years ago rather than 2700 years ago. check out torahmuseum.com if you are ever in Boro Park, Brooklyn. They have alot of ancient jewelry and items worn by jewish women both 2000 years ago and in biblical times. Including Golden Forehead ornaments and noserings and bicep bracelets.

Thanks, Judea.