Author Topic: What are JTF members' views of Menachem Begin?  (Read 743 times)

Offline Xoce

• Master JTFer
What are JTF members' views of Menachem Begin?
« on: January 27, 2009, 09:06:43 PM »
Enlighten me! :)
aka Someone Else

Offline zachor_ve_kavod

• Master JTFer
Re: What are JTF members' views of Menachem Begin?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 09:17:04 PM »
I was thinking about writing a musical piece about Menachem Begin.  I would dedicate it "to the memory of a once great man".

Begin was a great man, in my opinion, but he had a weakness in him.  His story is a tragic one.  He knew what arabs were and he fought for Israeli sovereignty.  He ordered the bombing of the Iraqi nuclear facility, much to the horror and condemnation of the rest of the world.  But ultimately, he allowed himself to be pressured by American Jews to give up the Sinai to Egypt.

As great as he could have remained, that spoiled it.  Camp David is where we learned that Begin was an empty shell.  This also (to me) dispelled any notion of the Likud being a right wing political party.

Offline spiritus_persona

• Pro JTFer
  • Say NO to Dhimmitude
    • Cultural Jihadist (Warning!  May contain harsh language!)
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 11:02:13 PM »
He willingly gave up the Sinal.  No world leader willingly gives away land.  We've learned from history that there is no appeasing a nazi.  Give these people an inch and they'll want a mile.
Me: Muslims get offended too easily.
Muslim: What!?  That is an outrage!  Take that back or I kill you!

Offline Xoce

• Master JTFer
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 11:04:10 PM »
Positive aspects of him?

Did something change him?  If so, what?
aka Someone Else

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 11:48:46 PM »
A complete sellout and fraud, but before we judge him too harshly we need to remember that 80% of the Israeli people--both the left and the "right"--supported the surrender and ethnic cleansing of the Sinai, and still do.  >:(

Offline Xoce

• Master JTFer
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009, 07:41:19 AM »
I was thinking about writing a musical piece about Menachem Begin.  I would dedicate it "to the memory of a once great man".

Begin was a great man, in my opinion, but he had a weakness in him.  His story is a tragic one.  He knew what arabs were and he fought for Israeli sovereignty.  He ordered the bombing of the Iraqi nuclear facility, much to the horror and condemnation of the rest of the world.  But ultimately, he allowed himself to be pressured by American Jews to give up the Sinai to Egypt.

As great as he could have remained, that spoiled it.  Camp David is where we learned that Begin was an empty shell.  This also (to me) dispelled any notion of the Likud being a right wing political party.

Thank you for your answer.  I would love to hear your musical piece about Menachem Begin!
aka Someone Else

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2009, 03:24:35 PM »
He gave up the sinai...more land than any israeli prime minister...so tell me, how are we supposed to feel?!
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Ze'ev

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2009, 03:33:05 PM »
He may have only given up the Sinai due to international pressure from both the USA and the USSR to do so.

I don't know all the specific details tho.  I do know he was the heroic commander of the Irgun during the mandate years, and did some good things there.
Thus the Jews struck all their enemies with the sword, killing and destroying; and they did what they pleased to those who hated them.