Author Topic: Please pray for Princess, the cat...  (Read 4842 times)

Offline ~Hanna~

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Be a light in the darkness.......
Re: Please pray for Princess, the cat...
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2009, 03:47:33 PM »
May G-D heal your cat speedily

Thankyou Mord.....

you should have seen me helping a lady in the ER waiting room with her Mastiff, the dog needed eye drops and didn't want them.... :laugh: people were laughing...
SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל

Offline ~Hanna~

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2009, 03:48:14 PM »
I will pray.  :'(

Thankyou very much, she is getting better, even since I posted this yesterday...
SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל

Offline ~Hanna~

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2009, 03:50:25 PM »
Oh Hanna, my heart goes out to you! I am praying that Princess gets better and stronger every day. I know you have such a bond with each other. I will pray you have strength more and more to help her get better too!

Thankyou so much. Main Coons tend to bond with one person, so yes, I guess I am her "mom" now... ;D

I am a bit tired but I am going to drink some green tea right now, it will help considerably.

SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל

Offline Angry Panther

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2009, 07:49:46 PM »
Hanna,

As someone who has cats I will say a prayer for your cat. All our cats where once homeless, we took them in and cared for them. I think it is cruel for people to abandon cats. I'm so glad you were their to rescue her. G-d bless you.

Offline arksis

• Master JTFer
  • Dawn
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2009, 08:33:00 PM »
So glad to hear how much better Princess is doing Hanna! Please keep us updated and I will continue to pray for her to get stronger every day. She has so much love yet to give you!
---Never, ever deal with terrorists. Hunt them down and, more important, mercilessly punish those states and groups that fund, arm, support, or simply allow their territories to be used by the terrorists with impunity.
Meir Kahane

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2009, 09:23:49 PM »
IsraelForever, I've wondered before what would happen on Shabbat if a Jewish family's pet had an emergency situation and needed immediate medical care. Would it be permissible to take them to the vet like it would be permissible to take a human being to an emergency room to save their life, or would someone else have to do it?

I've wondered for a while what kind of arrangements are made in case something like this happens.

Usually on weekends the only vet offices that are open are emergency vet offices, but I remember having to take my dogs to them around 4 times for various things. One example was when one dog had a really swollen gland that was causing her a lot of pain and another situation where I had to take another dog to the emergency vet was when he started peeing blood and straining to urinate. It turned out to be a bladder infection, but if I'd left it overnight without medical care he could have died that night, and at the very least, he could have been in a lot of pain.

By the way I'm praying for Princess and I hope that Princess will be ok. I love cats even though I'm allergic to them and can't have one, I love to visit with my sister's cats and play with them.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2009, 09:47:39 PM »
IsraelForever, I've wondered before what would happen on Shabbat if a Jewish family's pet had an emergency situation and needed immediate medical care. Would it be permissible to take them to the vet like it would be permissible to take a human being to an emergency room to save their life, or would someone else have to do it?

I've wondered for a while what kind of arrangements are made in case something like this happens.

Usually on weekends the only vet offices that are open are emergency vet offices, but I remember having to take my dogs to them around 4 times for various things. One example was when one dog had a really swollen gland that was causing her a lot of pain and another situation where I had to take another dog to the emergency vet was when he started peeing blood and straining to urinate. It turned out to be a bladder infection, but if I'd left it overnight without medical care he could have died that night, and at the very least, he could have been in a lot of pain.

By the way I'm praying for Princess and I hope that Princess will be ok. I love cats even though I'm allergic to them and can't have one, I love to visit with my sister's cats and play with them.

I am not sure of the exact answer but i believe that one can only violate Shabbat to save a Human life, not that of a pet. But I will look into the matter.

Here is the question and answer from a Rabbi at Yeshiva.org.il :

http://www.yeshiva.org.il/ask/eng/?srch=1&cat=&search_in=2&q=pet+shabbat

Question:
Could you please tell me what the Halacha is with respect to saving the life of a pet on Shabbat? If a pet becomes suddenly very ill on Shabbat, may one call a veterinarian? May one take a pet to the veterinarian? If not, what options does one have other than to let the pet die or remain in tremendous pain?

Answer:
One is not allowed to transgress the Shabbat to save an animal. This includes Rabbinic and Torah prohibitions.(Sulchan Aruch 332, in the Mishna Berura, Shmirat Shabbat Kehilchata 27,55)
However, one is allowed to handle the animal, i.e. to pick it up or to relive it of pain ect. One is also allowed aid a non-Jew to deal with the animal. It is also allowed to perform things which are prohibited specifically because they are medically related (SSK 27, 54-6). However, it is advisable to ask a Rabbinic authority if a specific case comes up, because these Halachot are complicated and some Poskim seemed to allow certain Rabbinic prohibitions under certain circumstances (see SSK 27, note 166, 168).
In these laws there is no difference between saving the life of an animal or stopping a leaving pain (See SSK 27, note 98).

Rabbi Baruch Paz
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2009, 09:49:45 PM »
Thankyou Muman....we rescued this cat, I just spent $3,000 caring fot it this week... 8)

She is doing much, much better.....even compared to 24 hours ago...
Oh my word... I thought the $650 spent to save the life of my Missy was a lot. You are a tzaddik, Hanna.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2009, 09:56:25 PM »
Thank you Muman. I hope that Jewish families with pets can have someone within walking distance who can help them and their pets if need be.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2009, 09:57:03 PM »
Thankyou Muman....we rescued this cat, I just spent $3,000 caring fot it this week... 8)

Oh my word... I thought the $650 spent to save the life of my Missy was a lot. You are a tzaddik, Hanna.

I agree with C.F. Hanna you're a wonderful person! I think it's great that you were able to do this!

Offline ag337

• Master JTFer
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2009, 11:32:02 PM »
Hanna,

Hi, we have never had any direct interaction with each other here, but I have read some of your posts and find them insightful.

I am sorry to hear about your cat, Princess.  I too will say a prayer for her.  It is a mitzvah that you have taken her under your wing and saved her life.

A pet is like a member of your family.  They can provide a type of comfort that we sometimes cannot get from some of the humans in our life.  I have always had dogs and have never owned cats.  I had the same feeling when my dog, Chiquita, was sick.  I barely ate the six days she was in the hospital.  It's a horrible feeling.

I will say a prayer for you and your cat tonight.

Offline ~Hanna~

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2009, 11:58:30 PM »

I agree with C.F. Hanna you're a wonderful person! I think it's great that you were able to do this!

Believe me, I was not always able to do this.... :'( :'(

I am glad I can this time though....

It (in a way) helps to make up for the times I could not...

SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל

Offline ~Hanna~

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2009, 12:03:01 AM »
Hanna,

Hi, we have never had any direct interaction with each other here, but I have read some of your posts and find them insightful.

I am sorry to hear about your cat, Princess.  I too will say a prayer for her.  It is a mitzvah that you have taken her under your wing and saved her life.

A pet is like a member of your family.  They can provide a type of comfort that we sometimes cannot get from some of the humans in our life.  I have always had dogs and have never owned cats.  I had the same feeling when my dog, Chiquita, was sick.  I barely ate the six days she was in the hospital.  It's a horrible feeling.

I will say a prayer for you and your cat tonight.

Thankyou so very much, you are an angel, too....

It was a team effort, the cat saving...the vets, the animal ER and my home here...we all did it together, cuz I sure didn't have the medicine, etc to do it....

She is getting stronger every day.

The vet checked her hemocrat levels today, they are up two more points than the day she left the hospital.

So, that is very good!!!

:dance:

Today she was purring and also growling at the vet, growlling cuz she didn't want to be there, I guess I don't blame her.... :laugh:

It was kind of funny...a purring/growling cat.... :::D

She is so precious to me.

For months and months (before she was our pet) I tried to pet her and if I came anywhere within ten feet of her she would hiss and growl at me (didn't like humans very much) ....

Well, so I noticed she was abandoned (after the people moved) and I started feeding her.

Within a matter of a few days or so, I would open the door and call her and she would come RUNNING across the parking lot.

RUNNING...
SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל

Offline ~Hanna~

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2009, 12:05:12 AM »

Oh thankyou, I give the paise to G-d though, for without Him, I am and can do nothing....honestly. Don't put me too high up on a pedestal....but many animals get abandoned and its too bad...it makes me angry  >:( too.

Anyway, thankyou for the kind words....

It's been a rough week, but coming here to see everyone's KIND KIND WORDS makes my day/week/month!!!

THANKYOU ALL SO VERY, VERY MUCH!!!!
SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל

Offline ~Hanna~

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2009, 12:06:48 AM »

What us a tzaddik? I hope it is a GOOD thing.... :::D

I love human beings and animals and all of G-d's creation.....

I hope that they love me too, but sometimes they have not.

SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל

Offline ~Hanna~

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2009, 12:08:58 AM »

I am not sure of the exact answer but i believe that one can only violate Shabbat to save a Human life, not that of a pet. But I will look into the matter.

Here is the question and answer from a Rabbi at Yeshiva.org.il :

http://www.yeshiva.org.il/ask/eng/?srch=1&cat=&search_in=2&q=pet+shabbat

Question:
Could you please tell me what the Halacha is with respect to saving the life of a pet on Shabbat? If a pet becomes suddenly very ill on Shabbat, may one call a veterinarian? May one take a pet to the veterinarian? If not, what options does one have other than to let the pet die or remain in tremendous pain?

Answer:
One is not allowed to transgress the Shabbat to save an animal. This includes Rabbinic and Torah prohibitions.(Sulchan Aruch 332, in the Mishna Berura, Shmirat Shabbat Kehilchata 27,55)
However, one is allowed to handle the animal, i.e. to pick it up or to relive it of pain ect. One is also allowed aid a non-Jew to deal with the animal. It is also allowed to perform things which are prohibited specifically because they are medically related (SSK 27, 54-6). However, it is advisable to ask a Rabbinic authority if a specific case comes up, because these Halachot are complicated and some Poskim seemed to allow certain Rabbinic prohibitions under certain circumstances (see SSK 27, note 166, 168).
In these laws there is no difference between saving the life of an animal or stopping a leaving pain (See SSK 27, note 98).

Rabbi Baruch Paz

Maybe I could start a service of some kind? Helping with family pets on Shabbot?  ;D
SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל

Offline ~Hanna~

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2009, 12:10:28 AM »
Hanna,

As someone who has cats I will say a prayer for your cat. All our cats where once homeless, we took them in and cared for them. I think it is cruel for people to abandon cats. I'm so glad you were their to rescue her. G-d bless you.

Thankyou very much!

G-d is my rock and my strength, I could never do it without Him...
SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל

Offline ~Hanna~

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2009, 12:12:07 AM »
So glad to hear how much better Princess is doing Hanna! Please keep us updated and I will continue to pray for her to get stronger every day. She has so much love yet to give you!

Thankyou so very much!

I took her back to the Vet today, the Vet was very, very happy!!!!

Her hemocrat levels have gone up two more points since I brought her home.

She is doing very, very well!

We all saved her life!!!!

Including those who have prayed....!!!

G-d is the ultimate life-saver though... :dance:
SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל

Offline GoIsraelGo!

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Wake up America, Obama is the enemy!
« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2009, 01:02:29 PM »
Hi Hanna, how is Princess doing?

Offline ProudAndZionist

• Master JTFer
  • PPE
« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2009, 01:42:03 PM »
I hope the cat is fine, by the way I wish You a very happy birthday ~Hanna~  !  :dance: :) Mazal tov!
We are giants, giants in love...and if you ask that who are we, then you must be a dwarf.

Offline ~Hanna~

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2009, 03:30:46 PM »
Hi Hanna, how is Princess doing?

SHe is bright eyed and bushy tailed now (I was wondering where they got that from) I am sure now it is from a healthy cat.... ;D

SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל

Offline ~Hanna~

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2009, 03:31:32 PM »
I hope the cat is fine, by the way I wish You a very happy birthday ~Hanna~  !  :dance: :) Mazal tov!

THANKYOU SO VERY MUCH!!!

:-[
SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל

Offline ag337

• Master JTFer
« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2009, 05:03:43 PM »
Hanna,

I am so happy to hear that Princess is doing better.
I hope she gets stronger and healthier with every day that passes.

I will continue to keep both of you in my prayers.

Take care, feel good, and continue to be well.

Offline ProudAndZionist

• Master JTFer
  • PPE
« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2009, 05:05:51 PM »
Brothers, Sisters

Do You know that Hanna has birthday today?:P

PS (You are welcome)  :)
We are giants, giants in love...and if you ask that who are we, then you must be a dwarf.

Offline ~Hanna~

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2009, 05:06:09 PM »
Hanna,

I am so happy to hear that Princess is doing better.
I hope she gets stronger and healthier with every day that passes.

I will continue to keep both of you in my prayers.

Take care, feel good, and continue to be well.

Thankyou very much, I thank you and so does Princess!!!  ;D
SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל