Author Topic: If you could go back in time...  (Read 4790 times)

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
Re: If you could go back in time...
« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2009, 06:01:11 PM »
Daleksfearme, I don't think the science is really there to say one way or another right now how many there are. I don't think there are infinite universes because otherwise it wouldn't matter if you were moral or immoral because both outcomes would happen anyway.

Offline Daleksfearme

• Pro JTFer
  • What is, What was, What could be. thats what I see
« Reply #51 on: April 12, 2009, 06:27:16 PM »
Daleksfearme, I don't think the science is really there to say one way or another right now how many there are. I don't think there are infinite universes because otherwise it wouldn't matter if you were moral or immoral because both outcomes would happen anyway.

I dont think the universe as a whole cares about moral outcome. I do agree that no positive conclusion can be reached at this time. I think that I might have been slightly more clear in my post and for that I apologize.

When the equations are run, researchers in the fields of study that touch on these issues have shown that, in theory, the number of outcomes is infinite. As for how these equations would hold up in the real world nobody knows...
"You must not have looked in the new dictionary for the word Genocide, Because Right next to it is a picture of me with a capton that reads...over my dead body!"

The Doctor

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #52 on: April 12, 2009, 06:45:33 PM »

I dont think the universe as a whole cares about moral outcome. I do agree that no positive conclusion can be reached at this time. I think that I might have been slightly more clear in my post and for that I apologize.

When the equations are run, researchers in the fields of study that touch on these issues have shown that, in theory, the number of outcomes is infinite. As for how these equations would hold up in the real world nobody knows...

If the universe is created by God I think it has to be finite because God is the infinite one. Of course people doing science shouldn't think that way they should just do the science and see what they discover.

Offline Adrian Wainer

• Full JTFer
« Reply #53 on: April 12, 2009, 07:01:18 PM »

If the universe is created by G-d I think it has to be finite because G-d is the infinite one. Of course people doing science shouldn't think that way they should just do the science and see what they discover.

Maybe G-d is the Universe, in which case if there is some prohibition on things other than G-d being infinite, that would not apply. If G-d is the Universe, maybe the early European religions and Japanese religion had/has it right in treating things like springs as sacred, in that they are a manifestation of G-d, if G-d is the Universe and the only error is that G-d in Judaism is a unitary whole whereas a mountain or a lake would only be a part manifestation of G-d.

Best and Warm Regards
Adrian Wainer 

« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 07:13:59 PM by Adrian Wainer »
"Ik val aan, volg mij!" Schout-bij-nacht Karel Willem Frederik Marie Doorman February 28 1942.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #54 on: April 12, 2009, 07:13:11 PM »
Adrian yes I agree with you that some versions of God can allow for such things. However that God would have to be amoral, because if all outcomes from choices occur, then there is no merit in being good and no real harm in being evil.

I believe that the universe is from God (created through directed natural processes) but is not God itself.

Offline Adrian Wainer

• Full JTFer
« Reply #55 on: April 12, 2009, 07:55:41 PM »
Adrian yes I agree with you that some versions of G-d can allow for such things. However that G-d would have to be amoral, because if all outcomes from choices occur, then there is no merit in being good and no real harm in being evil.

I believe that the universe is from G-d (created through directed natural processes) but is not G-d itself.

Well if all outcomes from choices occur, that would be hugely energy intensive since there would be an infinite variety of everything, where would the energy come to drive something like that.? It would seem to me that there is only one reality and only if one could go back it time, ( and it may be impossible to go back in time ), could one create a second reality and one can only create a second reality, if can actually change something and if can not change anything one does not create a second reality. Even in a universe where every time a person made a choice that created a new reality and every reality went on to exist independently, that does not violate moral principles in the sense all the actors in this scenario are still having free will to make choices and if one thinks of all powerful god, he could have installed a device in to the scenario that works like a gyro scope in an aircraft to maintain balance so if the choices made start to remove free will from the equation, that gyroscope starts to kick in to restore free will. In fact what is interesting about Judaism is that as I understand it, the Messianic figure is not rigidly defined to the extent it may be different persons at different times and exhibiting different characteristic. If one thinks of Winston Churchill, he is so much the right person at the right time and one had a belief in Messianic personages, it would be hard not to have suspicions that he was one such personage.   

Best and Warm Regards
Adrian Wainer
"Ik val aan, volg mij!" Schout-bij-nacht Karel Willem Frederik Marie Doorman February 28 1942.

Offline Chai

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #56 on: April 12, 2009, 10:06:56 PM »
Tough question, because it assumes that if a certain person were eliminated there wouldn't be someone who could have taken his place.  Here is a short list of candidates:

1.  Hitler (ym"sh)

2.  Arafat (ym"sh)

3.  Mohamed (ym"sh)

4.  El Sayyid Nosair (ym"sh)

5.  Ishmael

6.  Marx

7.  Ahmedinejad (ym"sh)

Besides these animals, there are hundreds of other evil people I can think of who aren't quite in the same league as these people, but who undoubtedly made the world a worse place.
good list but dont u think others whould take there place?

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #57 on: April 12, 2009, 11:41:35 PM »
Was Ishmael evil? I know he was supposed to have fathered some rather evil nations but was he evil himself?

Offline ~Hanna~

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Be a light in the darkness.......
« Reply #58 on: April 17, 2009, 12:49:52 AM »
This whole topic is ridiculous if you ask me. I do not think we can change events in time.

Regarding going back and killing Jebus I would suggest that it would not accomplish very much. Coming from the Jewish perspective it doesn't matter what the other religions are doing or saying, it matters what the Jews do or say.

Jewish perspective is that every tragedy which has befallen us has somehow been deserved. From the bondage in Egypt, to the first Temple destruction and Babylonian exile, to the second destruction and exile, through to the present. In every case the sages look for failings in our people. I will not blame the other religions as they only act as a pawn in the hand of the L-rd. I have heard it said that the nations of the world are the rod and staff of Hashem, the rod to discipline us, and the staff to support us.

It will not accomplish much to discuss hypothetical situations. I think Pharoah, Ceasar, and Hitler were all instruments of Hashem to teach us that we are Jews, and must act like Jews. This is the mission of the Jewish people. We should work on bringing all Jews together and not continue to divide amongst ourselves.

The sages suggest the reason the second Temple was destroyed was because of baseless hatred. Every Jew hated his neighbor but for dumb reasons. When this occurs to Bnai Yisroel it spells our undoing. We also must try to elevate the nations around us {when possible} so that they can see the light of Torah which Hashem has given the Jewish people.

I was actually just thinking this myself, Muman....great minds think alike...
SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #59 on: April 17, 2009, 12:28:55 PM »
This is a purely hypothetical question but I think it's interesting to know what everyone would say.  Knowing what you know about history, if you could go back in time and rid the world of one individual, who would it be?

You guys forgot someone on the list...and the Amelkite King Agag who King Saul did not killl and was supposed to...Agag brought about Haman and the Amelkite ideal to attack the weak from behind and have no regard towards Gd.

If King Agag were killed, I would think that all Jews today would have much more of a backbone and know evil much better and know how to erradicate it.

But Muman, is right...what's the point of going back in time...Gd has His ways and His experiments if you want to call it that.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 12:34:52 PM by Dr. Dan »
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Zelhar

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #60 on: April 19, 2009, 08:14:45 AM »
This is a purely hypothetical question but I think it's interesting to know what everyone would say.  Knowing what you know about history, if you could go back in time and rid the world of one individual, who would it be?

You guys forgot someone on the list...and the Amelkite King Agag who King Saul did not killl and was supposed to...Agag brought about Haman and the Amelkite ideal to attack the weak from behind and have no regard towards Gd.

If King Agag were killed, I would think that all Jews today would have much more of a backbone and know evil much better and know how to erradicate it.

But Muman, is right...what's the point of going back in time...Gd has His ways and His experiments if you want to call it that.
Actually, the Agag who you refer too was killed, by the prophet Shmuel. The name Agag seems to be a repeating name of the Kings of Amalek, for example, Bilaam mentions a different Agag in Bamidbar.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #61 on: April 19, 2009, 08:45:10 AM »
You're right agag was eventually killed. So really we shlould say. Killed at the appropriate time
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline syyuge

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #62 on: April 26, 2009, 03:31:29 PM »

Oh... I just saw the movie again. Perhaps you need the help of some version of JUMANJI.
 ;D
There are thunders and sparks in the skies, because Faraday invented the electricity.