Author Topic: Subway food chain sucks  (Read 9590 times)

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
Re: Subway food chain sucks
« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2009, 11:28:27 PM »
Damn.. I am very drunk.. I have some difficulties with writing this message.. I will tell you more about it later... I talked wiht an russssian  about Pisslam and it's evil things... He agree with JTF!!!! He is 57 or younger.. a grea russian!!l... damn i go to sleep now.. I will talk abot it later.. see ya

At least you still know how to spell Pisslam correctly, so you must not be too drunk. You got that 100% right.

I wish all Russians would be righteous people. I think they have great potential to be a righteous nation if only they would grasp it.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #51 on: August 16, 2009, 12:10:14 AM »
Everything aside, I still think Subway is the king of mass-market fast food.

They actually make vegetables taste good. I think the best part for me is the bread, I love bread. The more bread, the better. :)

Torah tells us:

"Man does not live by bread alone"

:::D

"He afflicted you and let you hunger, then He fed you the mahn that you did not know, nor did your forefathers know, in order to make you know that not by bread alone does man live, rather by everything that emanates from the mouth of G-d does man live." (Devarim 8:3)
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline The One and Only Mo

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #52 on: August 16, 2009, 12:30:42 AM »
It's hard for those of us who used to eat non-kosher food to see this being discussed. The yetzer hara is always there, and it's just something we'd rather not see on a Jewish Forum. The forum is closed on shabbos for a reason and it's only fair if people (especially Jews) try to not to discuss the sins they do which some of used to do but still have a temptation for because we are only human. I've only been frum for a year and I miss cheeseburgers (among other things) like hell. I come to this forum to discuss important things in this world and I just don't see how discussing a non-kosher fast-food chain is relevant unless there was something JTF-worthy to discuss (a scandal etc). 

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #53 on: August 16, 2009, 12:37:38 AM »
Anyway, there is such a thing as a kosher subway's!   I don't know where you guys live, but in certain Jewish community of people I know, they recently got a subways with a kosher certification.    (there are other "nonJewish" places that serve kosher-only in certain store locations, ie kosher dunkin donuts, etc such places market to areas with a big frum population and not many kosher choices to eat at)...

For those people who are so tempted by nonkosher food that they can't bear a discussion of it (which means you are probably still working on avoiding these foods and eliminating them from your diet, so I must congratulate and encourage you for doing your best to take on the mitzvahs of kashrut, and urge you to keep up your effort), I would suggest that you avoid looking at such a thread.   If the name "Subway" or McD's or anything else in the title is enough to drive you crazy, then just imagine the person means a "kosher Subway"  (obviously such a place has less on the menu than normal subway's), be sad you're not in Israel where just about everything is kosher, and avoid clicking on the thread.   

(I believe there is one kosher mcdonalds in Israel if I remember correctly... of course tons of kosher burger places though).

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #54 on: August 16, 2009, 12:40:12 AM »
Unless a person is purposely trying to tempt someone to stray from their beliefs...I don't see the problem.
Temptation is every where.  The individual has to figure out how to avoid it themselves.  You can't turn the whole world off.

Just do me and Mumann a favor (although I'm sure a few others will be grateful as well)
What favor?  Not to talk about food? 

Not to talk about non-kosher food. Aside from the fact this is a Jewish forum, and non-kosher is against religion, is it really relevant to talk about eating that stuff?

Once again I fully agree with you. But as I explained before we are in the minority here. I believe it would do all the Jews a great service if they kept Kosher and lived by our Torah. I think that by discussing trief food some Jews may come to think Kashrut is not important. But I also am not the master of JTF and I can only work within the parameters which have been set by the leaders here.

Ultimately this comes down to how Chaim wants to run this organization. I will stand firm that encouraging Jews to keep mitzvot is very important but I will also understand when it comes to Chaims decisions.

PS: I think it is awesome that JTF shuts down for the Sabbath... Some have suggested to run the forum over Shabbat, but I recommended against it.

I can't believe that the discussion of non kosher food can cause such a pitfall. If this is the case I think  it would be almost impossible to watch TV or open a magazine. People can't be tempted so easy on an important issue like this. I think most people who chose to keep kosher are not tempted over the talk of Subways or a McDonald's cheese burger.

People who grew up keeping kosher, no.  No temptation there.   People who grew up eating and enjoying this stuff, but only later in life decided to keep kosher, there can be a huge temptation.   Because the fact is it tastes good, and people who have tasted it know that.

Then it comes down to a balance scale between "tastes good" vs. "God's will."   Rationally thinking anyone can choose wisely there.   But physical temptations cause a streak of irrationality, where the taste becomes very compelling even though it is so trivial and worthless.   So for these people it's best if they don't think about it too much or have debates on it.   I think they'd be wise not to open up a thread about it.

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #55 on: August 16, 2009, 12:49:01 AM »
OK, I didn't start the thread though.

But I thought there are kashrut Subways in NYC.

Yeah I'm pretty sure there are.

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #56 on: August 16, 2009, 12:50:40 AM »

can you put non dairy cheese together with turkey bacon?

What's "non dairy" cheese?   If it is fake 'cheese' that really has no dairy in it, then it is not dairy (and not cheese).   You could combine nondairy with anything, as long as the anything itself is kosher.   

What's turkey bacon?   You run a science lab in your kitchen?

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #57 on: August 16, 2009, 12:54:28 AM »
Everything aside, I still think Subway is the king of mass-market fast food.

They actually make vegetables taste good. I think the best part for me is the bread, I love bread. The more bread, the better. :)

Torah tells us:

"Man does not live by bread alone"

:::D

"He afflicted you and let you hunger, then He fed you the mahn that you did not know, nor did your forefathers know, in order to make you know that not by bread alone does man live, rather by everything that emanates from the mouth of G-d does man live." (Devarim 8:3)

Thanks Muman I'm actually very fond of that.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #58 on: August 16, 2009, 01:26:41 AM »
Is this kosher?

Offline SW

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #59 on: August 16, 2009, 06:43:28 AM »
Damn.. I am very drunk.. I have some difficulties with writing this message.. I will tell you more about it later... I talked wiht an russssian  about Pisslam and it's evil things... He agree with JTF!!!! He is 57 or younger.. a grea russian!!l... damn i go to sleep now.. I will talk abot it later.. see ya

At least you still know how to spell Pisslam correctly, so you must not be too drunk. You got that 100% right.

I wish all Russians would be righteous people. I think they have great potential to be a righteous nation if only they would grasp it.

Shalom everyone

I am sorry because of this embarrassing scene yesterday. I was really tight. But I had a great conversation with a Russian man! I will open a new topic about it.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #60 on: August 16, 2009, 07:05:01 AM »
Just want to give mt two cents here

Somehow the talk of subway led to a Jewish discussion about the appropriateness of talking about unkosher food around people who have recently stopped.

I have to agree w our kosher Jewish members that it can be a little insensitive to talk about it here because it tempts them which we don't want to do. Outside of this forum chaim would say regarding these Jews who feel that to move to Israel and not Tel Aviv.

To my recently kosher friends on the forum yasher koach. I am proud of you. I started out into and was born into a more kosher home than you meaning no treyf or mixing milk with meat but ate unkosher beef or chicken outside. I also mixed poultry with milk. For the past two years I have stopped eating unkosher meat and for the last 6 months off of mixing poultry with milk (which I hated doing at first). I still do eat in nonkosher restaurants but only fish or other nonmeats. I guess you can say I'm soing one step at a time. What I want to know is how you feel about that?

If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #61 on: August 16, 2009, 07:57:33 AM »
Another comment I want to make. Whether it is kosher or unkosher mikky d's or burger king etc. Both are very unhealthy and basically poisonous. Some of these places us MSG which is carcinogenic. So to me its a moot point. To be tempted by kosher fastfood or unkosher fastfood is like a former smoker being tempted by cigarettes
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #62 on: August 16, 2009, 08:19:56 AM »
Another comment I want to make. Whether it is kosher or unkosher mikky d's or burger king etc. Both are very unhealthy and basically poisonous. Some of these places us MSG which is carcinogenic. So to me its a moot point. To be tempted by kosher fastfood or unkosher fastfood is like a former smoker being tempted by cigarettes

I used to wonder why restaurant food tasted better than home made food, even really well made home made food. I found out that's because of the MSG.

Offline CorrieDeservedIt

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #63 on: August 16, 2009, 08:28:27 AM »
I always thought Subway fast food was healthy.

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #64 on: August 16, 2009, 09:52:40 AM »

For the past two years I have stopped eating unkosher meat and for the last 6 months off of mixing poultry with milk (which I hated doing at first). I still do eat in nonkosher restaurants but only fish or other nonmeats. I guess you can say I'm soing one step at a time. What I want to know is how you feel about that?

I feel that that is great!  To not eat the non-kosher meat is a huge deal.   A big mitzvah, so kol hakavod.   

As far as other stuff, probably best to avoid in general but at the same time a lot of things aren't necessarily 'unkosher' even though they might not have a 'hechsher' ie- getting a salad in a nonkosher restaurant.  As long as they are not cutting their lettuce with the knife they use for the meat (I think they have enough knives), nothing is really "not kosher" about a salad...  If you find a good rav who understands these issues well and also can relate to where you're coming from, he can give you good advice regarding these things as you are still moving step by step.

Offline Debbie Shafer

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #65 on: August 16, 2009, 01:17:47 PM »
I agree, it sucks pretty badly!  I got sick twice eating one the beef subs, and also the chicken and turkey.  There must be tons of preservatives in the meat and on the veggies!

If you have a delicate stomach or colon, forget about eating there and having a good Day!

Offline The One and Only Mo

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #66 on: August 16, 2009, 04:36:10 PM »
Just want to give mt two cents here

Somehow the talk of subway led to a Jewish discussion about the appropriateness of talking about unkosher food around people who have recently stopped.

I have to agree w our kosher Jewish members that it can be a little insensitive to talk about it here because it tempts them which we don't want to do. Outside of this forum chaim would say regarding these Jews who feel that to move to Israel and not Tel Aviv.

To my recently kosher friends on the forum yasher koach. I am proud of you. I started out into and was born into a more kosher home than you meaning no treyf or mixing milk with meat but ate unkosher beef or chicken outside. I also mixed poultry with milk. For the past two years I have stopped eating unkosher meat and for the last 6 months off of mixing poultry with milk (which I hated doing at first). I still do eat in nonkosher restaurants but only fish or other nonmeats. I guess you can say I'm soing one step at a time. What I want to know is how you feel about that?

I've figured out there is only one way to live: Keeping kosher. Nobody said it would be easy, but life isn't easy.

Offline eb22

• Ultimate JTFer
  • No Appeasement.or Concessions.Fakestine is a Hoax.
« Reply #67 on: August 16, 2009, 04:48:55 PM »
The following is a recent article that relates to part of the discussion in this thread:

Eat fresh, eat kosher: Subway the largest U.S. kosher restaurant chain

http://jta.org/news/article/2009/08/05/1007057/the-largest-us-kosher-restaurant-chain-is-subway

"Israel's leaders seem to be more afraid of Obama than they are of G-d. Now we're getting to the real root of the problem. Secular politics won't save Israel. Denying the divine nature of the Jewish State has brought Israel neither stability nor peace. When that changes Israel will finally be blessed with both in abundance"-----------NormanF   ( Posted on Israel Matzav's Blog )

http://jtf.org/

Offline TruthSpreader

• Silver Star JTF Member
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/WeThePeopleZeb
« Reply #68 on: August 16, 2009, 05:23:40 PM »
I always thought Subway fast food was healthy.

Not everything at Subway is healthy. The Meatball sub for example has about 42 grams of fat.

Dan - Stay calm and be brave in order to judge correctly and make the right decision

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #69 on: August 16, 2009, 05:34:00 PM »
Not everything at Subway is healthy. The Meatball sub for example has about 42 grams of fat.
Chaim will disagree with me but fat is not bad in and of itself, even animal fat. Some types of fat (i.e. olive oil) are even very good for you. The bad fat that you need to ALWAYS avoid is trans fat (hydrogenated oil), which literally is petrolatum jelly (it is a synthetic, artificial lubricant) in your veins. Your body cannot get rid of it, ever. It stays in your arteries forever and is the main cause of heart attack, stroke, and diabetes.

Offline HiWarp

• Master JTFer
« Reply #70 on: August 17, 2009, 06:04:50 AM »
Chaim will disagree with me but fat is not bad in and of itself, even animal fat. Some types of fat (i.e. olive oil) are even very good for you. The bad fat that you need to ALWAYS avoid is trans fat (hydrogenated oil), which literally is petrolatum jelly (it is a synthetic, artificial lubricant) in your veins. Your body cannot get rid of it, ever. It stays in your arteries forever and is the main cause of heart attack, stroke, and diabetes.

Why should he disagree with you? Fat is a necessary part of a healthy diet. It is excessive fat and trans fat, as you stated, that is bad.
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny;
when the government fears the people, there is liberty.”
---Thomas Jefferson

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #71 on: August 17, 2009, 11:48:34 AM »

you have a point, CF. Fish oil is also good. Flax seed uncooked is good and both contain HDL cholesterol which is good cholesterol that helps lower the LDL bad cholesterol.

However, oils such as olive oil, should not be cooked. IF they are cooked, they are bad for you.

and of course in moderation...

the healthiest oil to cook with is grapeseed oil as far as what my wife told me.

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #72 on: August 17, 2009, 11:52:01 AM »
Never heard that about olive oil. I fry almost everything in it.

Generally speaking if oil is liquid at room-temp it is at the least not bad for you. Animal fats are solid at RT but they are natural and unmodified, and we have animal fat too, of course.

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #73 on: August 17, 2009, 01:28:07 PM »

Why should he disagree with you? Fat is a necessary part of a healthy diet. It is excessive fat and trans fat, as you stated, that is bad.

It's true what both of you guys say, we do need some fat in our diets, but the sheer amount that is in today's common foods (especially packaged foods and snacks) is completely unnecessary and contributes to problems.  And saturated fat is very bad for you, one should really limit intake of saturated fat... It's not just transfat that is the problem.     But you're right that polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats in olive oil and other foods such as peanuts are very good for a person.   It's just the quantity that can be a problem.   Most people today as a general rule overeat (ie people eat way more than they really Need to eat)....

Also be on the lookout for packaged foods that include "Partially hydrogenated" oils... Not AS bad as completely hydrogenated oils, but also still very bad, and almost every packaged food contains this in one form or another.  It can sometimes be hard to find foods where they don't do any hydrogenation of the oils.  And that is because hydrogenated oil has longer shelf-life, and a higher melting point, making it 'semi-solid' at room temp and I think making it cheaper for transportation.

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #74 on: August 17, 2009, 01:32:55 PM »

you have a point, CF. Fish oil is also good. Flax seed uncooked is good and both contain HDL cholesterol which is good cholesterol that helps lower the LDL bad cholesterol.

However, oils such as olive oil, should not be cooked. IF they are cooked, they are bad for you.

Why is that?   I never heard this before.    I know it is not healthy to deep-fry stuff, obviously, but as far as cooking a dish with olive oil in it, I'm not sure why should the oil be any less healthy if it is put directly onto food after it's cooked, vs. cooking a little in the food you're making. 
?

Also, I have read that the most unhealthy of all oils to cook with is Canola oil.   It is really rapeseed oil, which originated in Canada, but which for obvious reasons could not be successfully marketed as such.  So it was called "canola" .   This oil for reasons I can't remember now, becomes something very unhealthy when it is cooked, unlike most other oils (which is why your comment about olive oil surprised me.  I understood that other oils are ok to cook with).    I noticed that canola oil is extremely popular in use in Israel, all over the shelves, and one of the cheapest cooking oils available.   I was very disappointed by this.