Author Topic: Is HaTikva appropriate anthem for Israel?  (Read 3248 times)

Offline Spectator

• Master JTFer
Is HaTikva appropriate anthem for Israel?
« on: August 19, 2009, 08:09:59 AM »
Arguments for Hatikva:

1. Strong Zionist message, declaration of attachment to Land of Israel, including Jerusalem.
2. Nice tune, imho one of the best among national anthems.

Agruments against:

1. Doesn't mention G-d and Jewish faith.
2. Contains phrase "to be free people in our land" which is currently being re-interpreted by Leftists as "free from religious and nationalistic prejudices" (initial message was of course "free from foreign oppression").
3. The tune is not Jewish but a remix of a Romanian or Czech folk song (I'm not sure about this one, that's what I heard).

What do you think?
Do not put your trust in princes, nor in a son of man, in whom there is no help (Psalms 146:3)

Offline Yaacov Ben Yehuda

• Senior JTFer
Re: Is HaTikva appropriate anthem for Israel?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 10:50:49 PM »
I dont know about you guys but I personally get a lump in my throat whenever I hear HaTikva...I couldnt imagine another Israeli national anthem other then HaTikva.  Just out of curiosity does Yerushalayim Shel Zahav have any mention of G-d or Judaism in it?  Also, a beautiful song/anthem.

Offline The One and Only Mo

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 10:52:11 PM »
I had to hear it every morning on the PA in high school. Weird renditions too.

Offline takebackourtemple

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Master JTFer
  • May this be the year that the temple is liberated.
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 07:15:16 PM »
Arguments for Hatikva:

1. Strong Zionist message, declaration of attachment to Land of Israel, including Jerusalem.
2. Nice tune, imho one of the best among national anthems.

Agruments against:

1. Doesn't mention G-d and Jewish faith.
2. Contains phrase "to be free people in our land" which is currently being re-interpreted by Leftists as "free from religious and nationalistic prejudices" (initial message was of course "free from foreign oppression").
3. The tune is not Jewish but a remix of a Romanian or Czech folk song (I'm not sure about this one, that's what I heard).

What do you think?

You know. I agree with you totally.

I don't know what to say except the tune should be replaced with a Jewish one, G-d should be added and it should clearly state that the land is Jewish land.
The star spankled banner has G-d in it(even though only the first stanza is usually sung) so there is no reason Israel's national Anthem should not.
Does it bother you that you have to face the dome and the rock to say the sh'ma?

Offline Spectator

• Master JTFer
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2009, 02:30:31 AM »
Just out of curiosity does Yerushalayim Shel Zahav have any mention of G-d or Judaism in it?  Also, a beautiful song/anthem.

It doesn't mention G-d directly but there is much Jewish religious symbolsim in it (i.e. "But when I come to count your praises
and sing Hallel to you" or "The sound of horn from Temple's mountain again so loudly calls"). These combined with the idea of liberation and return to Jerusalem make much stronger message than HaTikva.

http://www.internationalwallofprayer.org/Index-002-Jerusalem-of-Gold-English-Lyrics.html
Do not put your trust in princes, nor in a son of man, in whom there is no help (Psalms 146:3)

Offline Spectator

• Master JTFer
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2009, 02:37:51 AM »
The star spankled banner has G-d in it(even though only the first stanza is usually sung) so there is no reason Israel's national Anthem should not.

G-d is also mentioned in the anthems of Britain, Serbia and the other nations. It's shame that namely G-d's people anthem "forgets" about Him.