Author Topic: Obama, NY gov amiable amid 2010 campaign tensions  (Read 723 times)

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
Obama, NY gov amiable amid 2010 campaign tensions
« on: September 21, 2009, 02:53:50 PM »
TROY, N.Y. – Gov. David Paterson warmly greeted President Barack Obama as he walked off Air Force One on Monday into the epicenter of a dispute over whether the unpopular governor should run in the 2010 race.

The president's visit to a college in Troy, near Albany, comes a day after Washington Democrats sent a message to Paterson to drop out of the race.

They're asking him to step aside because of fears he'll hurt their chances in 2010, but Paterson has refused.

Obama and the governor shook hands upon the president's arrival, and Obama leaned over to make a brief comment to Paterson. Obama later told the audience at Hudson Valley Community College: "A wonderful man, the governor of the great state of New York, David Paterson, is in the house."

Obama aides insist the president isn't interfering with New York politics. Before Obama landed, spokesman Robert Gibbs wouldn't answer directly when asked whether the president ordered that word be sent to Paterson that he does not want him to seek re-election.

"Well, look, I think everybody understands the tough jobs that every elected official has right now in addressing many of the problems that we have, and I think people are aware of the tough situation that the governor of New York is in," Gibbs told reporters aboard the president's plane. "And I wouldn't add a lot to what you've read, except this is a decision that he's going to make."

Gibbs said it wasn't unusual for the White House to be involved in state races. Asked whether there were any risks to such involvement, Gibbs answered: "The hazards of the job."

Paterson was first in line to greet Obama when he arrived, and the two had a brief exchange that appeared cordial.

They shook hands, and Obama gave Paterson a half-embrace and said something to the governor, who listened for a moment then said something back. Reporters were too far from the exchange to hear what was said.

Obama then greeted other state and local officials but returned to stand next to Paterson and say a few things to the group. Each man patted the other on the back, and Obama got into his limousine and headed for the appearance at the college. Paterson got into a separate car.

Protesters against plans for health care reform greeted the president's motorcade as it arrived at the college, where Obama was scheduled to speak. Across the street, his supporters hoisted banners.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_ny_governor_s_race