Author Topic: I really want to move to Israel...  (Read 640 times)

Offline Chaim5747

• Junior JTFer
I really want to move to Israel...
« on: March 08, 2010, 04:13:49 PM »
Hello, all; sorry I haven't been too active here, but I've been busy in real life.

Anyway, something which I wanted to discuss, and hopefully get opinions and feedback about...

I really want to move to Israel.

America may still have some of her greatness, but I just don't feel so safe here anymore.  (By the way, I have a question for some of the more prophecy- and eschatology-minded people around here: Would you consider Israel the best place to be when it all goes down?)

However, here's the only roadblock in my way in regards to moving to Israel: Proof of Judaism.  A rabbi has to write a letter confirming (affirming?) that you are Jewish.  However, of the two rabbis I know, neither of them will write it.

Rabbi #1 is the one in charge of the conservative synagogue of which I am a member, and is definitely a liberal.  Rabbi #2 seems to be much more devout in faith and less trusting of the current administration (I met him at college, where he was the professor for one of my classes, and I still keep in touch with him), but, and I say this with all due respect, I don't know if he's as informed about the current problems as I am.

So neither one will write it.  What do I do now?  Do the agencies in charge of immigration to Israel accept anything else as proof Judaism other than that special letter from the rabbi?

Sincerely,
Chaim

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
Re: I really want to move to Israel...
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 05:38:51 PM »
First know Hebrew well before u make a huge move like that
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline ~Hanna~

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Be a light in the darkness.......
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 11:36:02 PM »
God can do anything against all odds, if it is in His will for something, He can still do it, regardless of what anyone else says. If there is a will, there is a way.
SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל

Offline The One and Only Mo

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 02:12:23 AM »
Ditto

Offline New Yorker

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 02:45:06 AM »
You're Jewish and they won't write you a simple letter? Find another rabbi. Looks like you're having a little test to see how strong your conviction to go to Israel is. 
Nuke the arabs till they glow, then shoot them in the dark.

Offline Chaim5747

• Junior JTFer
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 12:13:50 PM »
So what should I do, simply track down and call every other rabbi in my area and ask if they'll write a letter for me?

Would the Jewish Agency even care, so long it was from a rabbi, or would they test you and the rabbi to see if it's legit.?

Does anyone here know any rabbi who will be willing to help me?  Just write a letter for me so that I can move to Israel?

I just think it's ridiculous how rabbis are refusing to let me move to Israel has G-d Himself has promised me... in all seriousness, however, I wonder, would this sort of thing count as religious discrimination, with less devout Jews trying to prevent more devout Jews from moving to Israel?

Yeah, my liberal, 0bama-trusting my family is coming up with every and any excuse to try and stop me from going to Israel.  Here are some of their "Greatest Hits", if you will...
1. "They only want you to move there so you can be used as cannon fodder in the military!" (Ah, typical liberal thought, with hatred of noble military forces...)
2. "They won't want you, they only want rich people to move there!" (Notice how this contradicts the previous claim...)
3. "You'd be surrounded by 50 million Arabs who want to kill you!"
4. "Didn't you hear about Iran building nukes?"
5. "Oh, f*** you."  (Yes, my liberal parents actually say this to me way too often, including as a way to close an argument.  And they wonder why I want to move out so badly...)

Actually, Rabbi #1 (mentioned above) also told me that people in Israeli who speak Hebrew with American accents are mocked in ridiculed much like how people with Spanish accents speaking English are mocked here in America; is that true, can anyone confirm/deny?

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 01:32:23 PM »
So what should I do, simply track down and call every other rabbi in my area and ask if they'll write a letter for me?

Would the Jewish Agency even care, so long it was from a rabbi, or would they test you and the rabbi to see if it's legit.?

Does anyone here know any rabbi who will be willing to help me?  Just write a letter for me so that I can move to Israel?

I just think it's ridiculous how rabbis are refusing to let me move to Israel has G-d Himself has promised me... in all seriousness, however, I wonder, would this sort of thing count as religious discrimination, with less devout Jews trying to prevent more devout Jews from moving to Israel?

Yeah, my liberal, 0bama-trusting my family is coming up with every and any excuse to try and stop me from going to Israel.  Here are some of their "Greatest Hits", if you will...
1. "They only want you to move there so you can be used as cannon fodder in the military!" (Ah, typical liberal thought, with hatred of noble military forces...)
2. "They won't want you, they only want rich people to move there!" (Notice how this contradicts the previous claim...)
3. "You'd be surrounded by 50 million Arabs who want to kill you!"
4. "Didn't you hear about Iran building nukes?"
5. "Oh, f*** you."  (Yes, my liberal parents actually say this to me way too often, including as a way to close an argument.  And they wonder why I want to move out so badly...)

Actually, Rabbi #1 (mentioned above) also told me that people in Israeli who speak Hebrew with American accents are mocked in ridiculed much like how people with Spanish accents speaking English are mocked here in America; is that true, can anyone confirm/deny?

Are you Jewish? If you are there should be a way to prove your grandparents were Jewish. Did they belong to a Jewish community, did they attend a synagogue? There should be records of your parents marriages, and there should be Ketubahs {marriage licenses}...

http://www.jewfaq.org/genealogy.htm
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Chaim5747

• Junior JTFer
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 03:18:37 PM »

Are you Jewish? If you are there should be a way to prove your grandparents were Jewish. Did they belong to a Jewish community, did they attend a synagogue? There should be records of your parents marriages, and there should be Ketubahs {marriage licenses}...

http://www.jewfaq.org/genealogy.htm

Wait, about ketubot (marriage licenses)... who would have copies of them: My parents, the synagogue where they got married, or both?

Also, my parents say they don't know where their ketubah is (and if I told them what I really wanted it for, to help me move to Israel, then they'll REALLY make sure I never get to use it, let alone see it).  So what do I do, try to find the synagogue where they got married, see if they have a copy?  (Also, should I try to find where my maternal grandparents got married?  Since Judaism is matrilineal, would that help my case?)

Also, what about embassies?  If you just show up at an Israeli Embassy (i.e. in Washington DC or NYC), do they put you on the next plane to Israel?

I'd hate to say it, but it's looking as though my only chance of going to Israel is by buying a ticket, getting on a plane, going there, and simply not coming back (and even then, would they allow me to stay, or would they force me to return?).