Poll

Do you think Keffiyehs should be banned in the US/Israel?

Yes
6 (28.6%)
Yes they are a symbol of terrorism
9 (42.9%)
No
3 (14.3%)
No, they are part of middle eastern identity
2 (9.5%)
I don't know
1 (4.8%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Keffiyehs, do you think they should be banned or allowed?  (Read 14538 times)

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
Re: Keffiyehs, do you think they should be banned or allowed?
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2010, 01:40:12 PM »
I have always believed that Jews will only be fully integrated back into Eretz Yisrael when we throw off western styles of dress in favor of a style more in tune with the Middle East.  After all, that is who and what we are...a Middle Eastern people.  In my opinion all the adaptations borrowed from Europe must go!  The suits, ties, hats, and heavy shoes of Europe are poorly suited to the clime in Israel, and only help to reinforce the false perception that Israel is an outpost of Western imperialism.  Israeli architecture for the most part looks perfectly Middle Eastern, with no attempts made to emulate Continental house design.  Our language, history and culture are all of the East.  So, why not our clothing?  I vote for the "Israeli keffiyah", and hope that it's just the beginning of a new trend in Israeli fashion.

Even though I agree that Jews should adopt Beged Ivri and middle eastern style clothing, I don't think the "kefiya" is included in that.   Look closely at the depictions of Maimonides and the Yemenite Jews and the Algerian Jew here.  I don't see any kefiyas.   Jews wore turbans, tunics, etc.    Not kefiyas as far as I know.
guys,guys,guys.let's make an agreement okay.you will dress youselves in middle eastern tincs and turban and i will continue to hang around with my shirt and pants and nothing that even resemble arab dress.

You can wear whatever you want, but some of us consider historical reality as an important factor in deciding what is authentic Jewish culture.   Some of us here consider historical reality, stam, unlike others who seem to think history is irrelevant or can be invented wholecloth on whim.  Look in the Torah and the Talmud and you will see an ancient style of dress that is no longer in style for most peoples today.   If arabs dress like us, let them, but let them keep their unique cultural symbols like the kefiya which I want nothing to do with.

I certainly prefer beged ivri (especially if I'm living in a nationalist settlement in Judea/Samaria, God willing) to wearing a black cloak and top hat.

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2010, 01:40:48 PM »
I have always believed that Jews will only be fully integrated back into Eretz Yisrael when we throw off western styles of dress in favor of a style more in tune with the Middle East.  After all, that is who and what we are...a Middle Eastern people.  In my opinion all the adaptations borrowed from Europe must go!  The suits, ties, hats, and heavy shoes of Europe are poorly suited to the clime in Israel, and only help to reinforce the false perception that Israel is an outpost of Western imperialism.  Israeli architecture for the most part looks perfectly Middle Eastern, with no attempts made to emulate Continental house design.  Our language, history and culture are all of the East.  So, why not our clothing?  I vote for the "Israeli keffiyah", and hope that it's just the beginning of a new trend in Israeli fashion.

Even though I agree that Jews should adopt Beged Ivri and middle eastern style clothing, I don't think the "kefiya" is included in that.   Look closely at the depictions of Maimonides and the Yemenite Jews and the Algerian Jew here.  I don't see any kefiyas.   Jews wore turbans, tunics, etc.    Not kefiyas as far as I know.

Your right, they resemble turbans rather than keffiyehs, can you repost the pictures? They didn't show up.

Oh I dunno, they come up when I click on the thread (in your first post). 

Offline Ben m

• Master JTFer
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2010, 01:46:04 PM »

guys,guys,guys.let's make an agreement okay.you will dress youselves in middle eastern tincs and turban and i will continue to hang around with my shirt and pants and nothing that even resemble arab dress.

You can wear whatever you want, but some of us consider historical reality as an important factor in deciding what is authentic Jewish culture.   Some of us here consider historical reality, stam, unlike others who seem to think history is irrelevant or can be invented wholecloth on whim.  Look in the Torah and the Talmud and you will see an ancient style of dress that is no longer in style for most peoples today.   If arabs dress like us, let them, but let them keep their unique cultural symbols like the kefiya which I want nothing to do with.

I certainly prefer beged ivri (especially if I'm living in a nationalist settlement in Judea/Samaria, G-d willing) to wearing a black cloak and top hat.
fine.as long as you guys will not make me wear that clothes i will not say a thing.
enemies:negroes,musulmans and commies/liberals.
alleis:israel,united states,canada,european union,greater serbia,russia,australia and new zealand and japan/south korea and india.togheter we maight win this war.

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2010, 01:48:41 PM »
fine.as long as you guys will not make me wear that clothes i will not say a thing.

Why would I make you wear anything?

You shouldn't assume that because certain religious Jews do something they will force everyone else to do it if they ever get the chance (or even if not).   I think that is something the Israeli media taught you (and maybe some haredi political parties/adherents to these parties), but it's not true.

Offline Ben m

• Master JTFer
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2010, 01:59:55 PM »

You shouldn't assume that because certain religious Jews do something they will force everyone else to do it if they ever get the chance (or even if not).   I think that is something the Israeli media taught you (and maybe some haredi political parties/adherents to these parties), but it's not true.
ammmm,actually it is both the media and the haredi parties that taught me taht.
enemies:negroes,musulmans and commies/liberals.
alleis:israel,united states,canada,european union,greater serbia,russia,australia and new zealand and japan/south korea and india.togheter we maight win this war.

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2010, 02:02:21 PM »

ammmm,actually it is both the media and the haredi parties that taught me taht.

That's what I said.

Offline Ari Ben-Canaan

• Master JTFer
  • "The Necromancers Could Not Stand Before Moses."
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2010, 05:11:31 PM »

Israeli keffiyeh

IDF keffiyeh
"You must keep the arab under your boot or he will be at your throat" -Unknown

"When we tell the Arab, ‘Come, I want to help you and see to your needs,’ he doesn’t look at us like gentlemen. He sees weakness and then the wolf shows what he can do.” - Maimonides

“I am all peace, but when I speak, they are for war.” -Psalms 120:7

"The difference between a Jewish liberal and a Jewish conservative is that when a Jewish liberal walks out of the Holocaust Museum, he feels, "This shows why we need to have more tolerance and multiculturalism." The Jewish conservative feels, "We should have killed a lot more Nazis, and sooner."" - Philip Klein

Offline Luigi

• Junior JTFer
  • מה שאינו הורג אותך מחשל אותך
    • Scornful Luigi on Twitter
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2010, 05:37:52 PM »
I like the Israeli design. Especially because it upsets the Fakestinians big time.
Support Geert Wilders. Support Israel.
Follow me on Twitter

Offline Hyades

• Master JTFer
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2010, 06:24:03 AM »

Israeli keffiyeh

IDF keffiyeh

Wow! Where can I get those? :)

Offline Ari Ben-Canaan

• Master JTFer
  • "The Necromancers Could Not Stand Before Moses."
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2010, 07:15:16 AM »

Israeli keffiyeh

IDF keffiyeh

I believe this site called "The Kef" sells them.

http://thekef.com/
"You must keep the arab under your boot or he will be at your throat" -Unknown

"When we tell the Arab, ‘Come, I want to help you and see to your needs,’ he doesn’t look at us like gentlemen. He sees weakness and then the wolf shows what he can do.” - Maimonides

“I am all peace, but when I speak, they are for war.” -Psalms 120:7

"The difference between a Jewish liberal and a Jewish conservative is that when a Jewish liberal walks out of the Holocaust Museum, he feels, "This shows why we need to have more tolerance and multiculturalism." The Jewish conservative feels, "We should have killed a lot more Nazis, and sooner."" - Philip Klein

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2010, 09:37:15 AM »
All Keffiyehs look ratty.  Painting a Jewish star on an armband won't make it look pretty

Offline Hyades

• Master JTFer
« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2010, 09:54:52 AM »

Israeli keffiyeh

IDF keffiyeh

I believe this site called "The Kef" sells them.

http://thekef.com/

Thank you!  :dance: