Author Topic: George nazi Soros found to be major donor to Jstreet ...must read UPDATE  (Read 1719 times)

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
http://www.forward.com/articles/131592/     

WASHINGTON — J Street acknowledged substantial donations from George Soros, reversing years of claims by the group that it had nothing to do with the liberal financier.

Jeremy Ben-Ami, the director of the dovish pro-Israel lobby, confirmed to JTA a report that first appeared in the Washington Times that it had received $245,000 from Soros and his children in 2008, and added that it had received another $500,000 in subsequent years – altogether, about 7 percent of the $11 million it has taken in since its 2008 founding.

Ben-Ami has for years given statements denying Soros had a role in founding the group and strongly implying that he continued to have no role.

In the “Myths and Facts” section of its website, J Street denied the “myth” that Soros “founded and is the primary funder of J Street” as follows: “George Soros did not found J Street. In fact, George Soros very publicly stated his decision not to be engaged in J Street when it was launched - precisely out of fear that his involvement would be used against the organization. J Street’s Executive Director has stated many times that he would in fact be very pleased to have funding from Mr. Soros and the offer remains open to him to be a funder should he wish to support the effort.”

In an interview, Ben-Ami denied that the conditional tense of the last sentence, and saying that an offer “remains open” leaves little room to infer Soros had given the group any money. He insisted that the characterization was truthful. “This was not founded by him, he didn’t provide initial funding,” he said. “I stand by the way that is phrased – I still want him to support us more.”

However, in an interview with Moment Magazine in March of this year, Ben-Ami was even more direct in his denial: “We got tagged as having his support, without the benefit of actually getting funded!”

Ben-Ami said J Street’s board kept contributions secret as a matter of policy, but that it was also his understanding that Soros continued to prefer to keep his funding off the record.

Michael Vachon, a Soros spokesman, said that Soros had no problem with his role being made public because by the time he contributed money, J Street was up and running.

“Mr. Soros never made any secret about his contributions to J Street,” he told JTA. “Mr. Soros believes that J Street makes an important contribution to the policy debate in the United States in the Middle East. He is a financial supporter of the organization but he doesn’t control the day to day operations nor does he have a role in setting the organization’s policy. He has no problem telling people what he funds.”

Soros would not give J Street seed-money because Soros “knew that had he given the money at the beginning, media outlets would have tried to claim that the organization is a Soros-funded organization,” Vachon said.

Soros, a Hungarian-born Holocaust survivor and hedge fund billionaire, has funded a broad range of liberal groups in the United States and pro-democracy groups overseas, including in countries that were shucking off communism.

He is controversial in Jewish circles for saying in a 1995 New Yorker profile that he doesn’t “want to be part of” pro-Israel activity, although he did not deny “the Jews their right to a national existence.”

In 2003, an apparent attempt by Soros to gingerly enter the world of Jewish funding went awry when he attended a meeting of the Jewish Funders Network and said that U.S., Israeli and Jewish policies “contribute” to manifestations of anti-Semitism.

His thesis appeared to be that Israeli and American officials should be aware that anti-Semites use their policies as a pretext for attack, and not that these policies justify anti-Semitism.

“I’m also very concerned about my own role because the new anti-Semitism holds that the Jews rule the world,” he said at the meeting. “As an unintended consequence of my actions, I also contribute to that image.”

The nuances were lost on Jewish organizational leaders, however, who accused him of “blaming the victim.”

The fall-out stung; in an article in 2007 for the New York Review of Books he scored what he said was the organized Jewish community’s tendency to lump together with anti-Semites critics of Israel.

“Anybody who dares to dissent may be subjected to a campaign of personal vilification,” he wrote. “I speak from personal experience. Ever since I participated in a meeting discussing the need for voicing alternative views, a torrent of slanders has been released.”

In the same article, which argued for mitigating the influence of the American Israel Public Affairs Committee – a key rationale for J Street’s establishment – he wrote: “I am not a Zionist, nor am I am a practicing Jew, but I have a great deal of sympathy for my fellow Jews and a deep concern for the survival of Israel.”

He concluded: “I should like to emphasize that I do not subscribe to the myths propagated by enemies of Israel and I am not blaming Jews for anti-Semitism. Anti-Semitism predates the birth of Israel. Neither Israel’s policies nor the critics of those policies should be held responsible for anti-Semitism. At the same time, I do believe that attitudes toward Israel are influenced by Israel’s policies, and attitudes toward the Jewish community are influenced by the pro-Israel lobby’s success in suppressing divergent views.”

Ben-Ami’s initial attempts in 2006 to establish a dovish coalition of pro-Israel groups fell apart when Soros’ potential involvement was revealed.

Soros has, recently, shown a willingness to contribute to Jewish causes.

This month, he said he would give $1 million to World ORT, the international network of Jewish vocational schools, toward its program to help Liberia’s ex-child soldiers.

Read more: http://www.forward.com/articles/131592/#ixzz10b0zn9W2
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 09:35:46 AM by mord »
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline TruthSpreader

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/WeThePeopleZeb
Re: George nazi Soros found to be major donor to Jstreet ...must read
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2010, 11:57:02 AM »
George Soros is yet another self-hating Jew. He's also an athiest which makes it even worse.

Dan - Stay calm and be brave in order to judge correctly and make the right decision

Offline Yaakov Mendel

• Master JTFer
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2010, 12:18:45 PM »

He has also donated a huge amount of money to Human Rights Watch, a notoriously anti-Israel leftist organization.
During WWII, George Soros' father was a Nazi sympathizer in Hungary who helped the Germans round up Jews for the Death camps. As a young man, in Budapest, George Soros was a courier for the Jewish Council, the Nazi-established and Nazi-run organization that ran the Jewish community. The Jewish Council was ultimately controlled by Adolf Eichmann, the man known as the “architect of the Holocaust,” who was in charge of the mass deportation of the Jews of Poland and Hungary to the extermination camps. Eichmann arrived in Budapest in early 1944, to take charge of the elimination of the Hungarian Jews. Before Eichmann left, 430,000 Hungarian Jews had been put to their death.
In at least two television interviews, in 1994 and 1998, Soros freely admitted to his Nazi collaboration, and declared that he felt no guilt over his actions, or over the extermination of nearly a half million of his fellow Hungarian Jews. In his own words, in his introduction to his father’s book, George Soros admitted,“It is a sacreligious thing to say, but these ten months [of the Nazi occupation] were the happiest times of my life… We led an adventurous life and we had fun together.”
Of course, we know that Soros played a crucial role in putting Obama in the Whitehouse.

Soros hates Jews and judaism. Soros hates America. All he cares about is making money and having power. Soros is a human piece of garbage. I puke on Soros.

Offline MassuhDGoodName

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2010, 01:07:43 PM »
Thanks, yaakov mendel, for bringing this very important story to our attention.

It highlights the reasons it is next to impossible to use the democratic method to further the views of JTF.

Having so much wealth and riches in the hands of men like Soros who are always looking for a way to propagandize the world with evil makes it nearly impossible to counter them with gentlemanly dialogue and debate.

Offline serbian army

• Master JTFer
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2010, 02:11:44 PM »
This man is probably on of the biggest Serbia's enemies.
Serbia will never surrender Kosovo to the breakaway province's ethnic Albanian majority or trade its territory for European Union or NATO membership,

Offline david1967

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2010, 05:00:03 PM »
Soros probably used his money to create this treasonous group.

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2010, 02:07:57 AM »
George Homos probably earned his billions as a high-priced call girl to the sheiks, and the currency-speculation story is just for public consumption.

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
Re: George nazi Soros found to be major donor to Jstreet ...must read UPDATE
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2010, 09:36:04 AM »
http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2010/09/j-street-down-the-rabbit-hole/63843/

J Street, Down the Rabbit Hole

Sep 30 2010, 3:00 PM ET
Jeremy Ben-Ami, the founder and president of J Street, the liberal Jewish group, e-mailed Goldblog last night: "Reports of our demise (including from you) are greatly exaggerated...." He was referring to a question I posted earlier in the day: "Will J Street even be around in its current form in coming days, now that it is enveloped in a scandal (more of a cover-up than a crime, in the traditional Washington style)?"

The scandal grows from a decision by Jeremy Ben-Ami to cover-up, over a long period of time, something he knew to be true: That George Soros, the billionaire investor and non-friend of Israel, provided J Street with almost $750,000 in funding. James Besser, at The New York Jewish Week, frames the impact of this cover-up in stark and simple terms:

There's no way this isn't going to make the politicians supported by J Street and those who may be considering accepting its endorsement incredibly nervous. Instead of  providing protection for the politicians they supported, J Street essentially hung them out to dry - not by accepting Soros money, but by lying about their connection to the controversial philanthropist.

And there's no way this doesn't sow mistrust among commentators and reporters who write and speak about J Street, and who were repeatedly misled by its officials. J Street sought to create a climate of trust with a press corps that was being spun heavily by its opponents; this news undoes a lot of that effort.

An Atlantic reporter, Chris Good, was one of the journalists lied to by J Street; he ripped the organization a new one once he learned he was the target of a disinformation campaign.

News of the Soros donation, first brought to light by Eli Lake of the Washington Times, was accompanied by disclosures about a larger, and stranger, donation, by a resident of Hong Kong named Consolacion Escidul, who according to Ben-Ami, is a "business associate" of a prominent J Street supporter named William Benter, a well-known Hong Kong-based horse bettor. Escidul is responsible for contributing seven percent of all the money collected by J Street since its founding, but nothing is known about Escidul, or about the sources of her wealth, but the mere fact that she is not, as far as anyone can tell, an American citizen has J Street supporters on Capitol Hill worried that the organization is using foreign money to provide help to American political candidates.

And now there is a completely new scandal, brought to us, again, by Eli Lake and another Times reporter, Ben Birnbaum. According to an article posted on The Washington Times site last night, J Street helped arrange visits by Judge Richard Goldstone, the South African jurist appointed by the U.N. to investigate the most recent conflict in Gaza, to Capitol Hill. Goldstone's work, heavily reliant on Hamas for uncorroborated information, has been condemned on both the left and right, here and in Israel (including by the left-wing Israeli human rights group B'Tselem), for its fairly obvious biases. From the Times story:

Colette Avital -- a former member of Israel's parliament, from the center-left Labor Party and until recently J Street's liaison in Israel -- told The Washington Times that her decision to resign her post with J Street earlier this year was a result in part of the group's "connection to Judge Goldstone."

"When Judge Goldstone came to Washington, [J Street leaders were] suggesting that they might help him set up his appointments on Capitol Hill," she said.

In the Times story, Jeremy Ben-Ami denied that his group assisted Goldstone in his visit in any way:  "J Street did not host, arrange or facilitate any visit to Washington, D.C., by Judge Richard Goldstone." Then, in the same response, he contradicted himself, acknowledging that J Street assisted Judge Goldstone in his efforts to meet members of Congress: "J Street staff spoke to colleagues at the organizations coordinating the meetings and, at their behest, reached out to a handful of congressional staff to inquire whether members would be interested in seeing Judge Goldstone."

This statement is of a piece with Ben-Ami's non-denial denial concerning Soros. On the J Street website, however, Avital issued a more straightforward denial:

I made clear (to The Washington Times)  that I was and am completely unaware of any effort by J Street to facilitate visits by Judge Richard Goldstone to Capitol Hill.

I do not know how it is possible for a newspaper to run a story like this after I have specifically told them they have the story wrong.

Unfortunately for Avital, and for J Street, the reporter who interviewed Avital by telephone, Ben Birnbaum, recorded their conversation, and The Washington Times has posted the audio. The recording shows that Avital was quoted accurately, and more than that: It shows that it was Avital, and not Birnbaum, who first raised the subject of Goldstone.

On one level, I understand what is happening here: J Street is made up of liberal Zionists, as well as non-Zionists, and even a few anti-Zionists, and it has been difficult for it to please its differing constituencies. This is why Ben-Ami, its president, might have felt the need to cover-up the involvement of George Soros, because liberal supporters of Israel know that Soros is unfriendly to the Jewish state, and some, presumably, would not want to be part of a group that counted Soros as a prominent supporter.  But on another level, what is going on here is inexplicable, and terribly dispiriting to people who thought that J Street was going to make a useful contribution to the debate over the future of Israel. 
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03