Author Topic: Do not buy Israeli products called sabra humus,Turkish salad they Boycott IDF  (Read 1261 times)

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
http://www.jpost.com/International/Article.aspx?id=195834   

* JPost.com
    * International

strauss logo 88 298
Photo by: Courtesy
Strauss Group removes support for IDF from website
By MICHAL TOIBA
11/18/2010 12:46

BDS group says Israeli company took down support for military after internet clip criticized Israel's "human rights abuses."
Talkbacks (30)

An Israeli company that co-owns Sabra, the number-one selling hummus brand in the United States, has removed support for the IDF from its English-language website after a video circulating the internet criticized the company's support of Israel's "human rights abuses," according to a press release issued Thursday by the Philadelphia branch of the Boycott Divestment Sanctions (BDS) movement.

Strauss Group, which recently highlighted its "adoption" of the Golani Reconnaissance platoon and other Israeli soldiers on its website, has taken down its support for the IDF, according to the press release.

RELATED:
Turning the tables on BDS
BDS: Nuisance or genuine threat?

Kate Zaidan, a spokesperson for BDS group said, "We notice that while Stauss's English-language website no longer makes these claims, the Hebrew-language part of the site still includes them."

She added, "Philly BDS is asking that Strauss Group clarify whether the removal of the references means that Strauss no longer supports the Golani brigade, or whether it is simply an acknowledgment that support for the Israeli military is no longer seen as beneficial to Strauss's international image. We hope Strauss will confirm that the company now supports the 2005 Palestinian call for boycott, divestment and sanctions against Israel."

Last month, Philadephia activists staged a dance around a local supermarket as part of a campaign to pressure grocery chains to stop carrying Sabra Hummus products. The activists urged the supermarket and its customers not to "buy into Israeli apartheid," and shouted "No Justice, No Chickpeas!"

* Talkback

Add a Talkback    Report Abuse    Read all Talkbacks
30. As Strauss products aren't Organic I don't buy

* Author:   Tee Gee
    * 11/18/2010   18:34

them anyway. Another reason I buy Organic, apart from its health benefits,is because a lot of our organic products come from Judea/Samaria & they're of the highest quality & taste. What I'd like to become active in is an Israeli organization which BDSs products from any country which lets such groups rampage against Israeli imports, harassing businesses which sell them & people who buy them. Therefore, if there are any imports from Philadelphia being sold in Israel I'm going to BDS them. Note: Philadelphia means 'Brotherly Love' in Greek but not much of that is to be found there it seems!

29. ????

* Author:   Daniel
    * 11/18/2010   18:26

Can't see a valid reason to boycott and divest from Israel

28. Strauss

* Author:   Tommy
    * 11/18/2010   18:20

When any congressman or organisation said anything against Israel out came AIPAC from the wood to destroy them not when it's done to the IDF the most immoral army in the world all these talkback cry foul shame on you people.

27. Give them an inch...

* Author:   Makevet
    * 11/18/2010   18:03

'"Philly BDS is asking that Strauss Group clarify whether the removal of the references means that Strauss no longer supports the Golani brigade, or whether it is simply an acknowledgment that support for the Israeli military is no longer seen as beneficial to Strauss's international image. We hope Strauss will confirm that the company now supports the 2005 Palestinian call for boycott, divestment and sanctions against Israel."' Strauss, you silly b----rs. Didn't you realise before embracing these hostile bedfellows that having given them an inch they would want the whole mile?

26. BDS without pride or loyalty

* Author:   J. Grodin, MD
    * 11/18/2010   17:48

I and my family have always used Sabra products, but NO MORE!

25. Support the IDF

* Author:   mimi
    * 11/18/2010   17:38

I will never by their products again...either you are with us or against us, and you made your choice. Go to their website and get a list of all the products they sell, then mark them off your grocery list. SUPPORT ISRAEL!!

24. Strauss

* Author:   Henri
    * 11/18/2010   17:32

This is one sure way to lose loyal customers. The Strauss brand will assimilate and be lost in the world similar to those who assimilate and lose their identity.

23. win customers and

* Author:   shushan
    * 11/18/2010   17:25

lose customers

22. Tit for tat

* Author:   Philip Crown
    * 11/18/2010   17:04

Strauss has the temerity to boycott the IDF so I heartily beseech the Israeli populace to boycott this company's products.It should be possible to bankrupt Strauss and good riddance.There are plenty of other products from which to choose.

21. These are all the same people

* Author:   harrisonford
    * 11/18/2010   17:03

This is the same person wirting all these posts, you can tell by the immature writing, Please pull all these message down and leave one, this is a gross mispresentation, shame on jpost for letting these clown post the same message in this process of blogging ..... STUPID and PETTY KIDS Grow up clowns and I don't even know the company or ever heard of them and don't relly care, but I hate stupid petty people like this!!!!!

Strauss Group removes support for ...
BDS group says Israeli company took down support for military after ...

BDS Strauss Group Sabra Hummus Philadelphia Golani Kate Zaidan website boycott chickpease

« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 12:36:26 PM by mord »
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
and shouted "No Justice, No Chickpeas!"

:::D

I won't buy the brand, but when I've eaten hummus I've always made my own. I like to use peanut butter instead of tahini/tahina because it tastes better to me.

I don't even know what the pre-packaged hummus tastes like, because I've always just made it from recipes.

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
MY BROTHER WHO LIVES IN FLA DOES IT HIMSELF
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline Zelhar

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
and shouted "No Justice, No Chickpeas!"

:::D

I won't buy the brand, but when I've eaten hummus I've always made my own. I like to use peanut butter instead of tahini/tahina because it tastes better to me.

I don't even know what the pre-packaged hummus tastes like, because I've always just made it from recipes.
Industrial hummus never tastes like the real thing and it isn't very healthy either. But I find your substitution of tahina with peanut... interesting. Have you ever tried the original recipe ?

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Gold Star JTF Member
I always liked sabra hummus but I won't be buying it anymore.    It's tough to find a store-brand that actually tastes good, especially in America.   The search is on.

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
Well I won't be boycotting Strauss group, so I don't think that Sabra, I believe it is under a joint ownership of Strauss and Pepsico, should be boycotted.

I don't think Strauss actually pulled off its support of the Golani Brigade (that would make an outrage in Israel where they still make 50% of their earning). And BTW, I don't think that a public company should support any charity. That money belongs to its share holders. If they don't need it for investment, they should return it to their share holders.

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
If anyone wants to contact them it's simple.I told them i'm telling all the people in my area Jew and Christian most   very pro Israel to boycott this product and to tell their friends to do same. And tommorow when shopping i'm going to tell the stores to boycott these pigs products                     http://cr.sabra.com/usen/sabrausen.cfm?date=20101118

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Gold Star JTF Member
I don't think Strauss actually pulled off its support of the Golani Brigade

Isn't that what the article claims?

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
I don't think Strauss actually pulled off its support of the Golani Brigade

Isn't that what the article claims?
No, they say that the publication about the support has been removed from the English site.
Kate Zaidan, a spokesperson for BDS group said, "We notice that while Stauss's English-language website no longer makes these claims, the Hebrew-language part of the site still includes them."
I can confirm that in the Hebrew site they still report that they support sayeret Golani (the reconnaissance battalion of the Golani Brigade), as well as the "Samsons' Fox" battalion of the Givati brigade.
http://www.strauss-group.com/communityinvolvementhebrew

Offline Mishmaat

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate JTFer
  • !עם ישראל חי
An alternative if you can find it at your local supermarket: http://www.tribehummus.com

Offline Ari Ben-Canaan

• Master JTFer
  • "The Necromancers Could Not Stand Before Moses."
I've never enjoyed the store bought hummus [or baba ganoush]!  I make my own.

I came across a new way to blend the hummus up recently and it came out really good [far more creamy and smooth!]:

Put one part lemon juice and one part techina in the blender and blend the two together so they produce a 'whipped' result.  If need be, add some of the water used to boil the chickpeas into the mix...  the idea is to have the liquid and oils 'bonded' together before the chickpeas are added.  Then add salt, pepper, cumin, olive oil, or other spices you like, then add in the chickpeas in last [making it this way requires less chickpeas than other methods]. -- Mixing the lemon juice and techina together [two items which do not mix together easily] is how other 'milks' are made... including soy milk and others.

I think that adding the olive oil and a bit of the boiled chickpea water could occur at the same time as blending the lemon juice and techina [I will try that next time I make it].

--------

Now if some people are boycotting Sabra because they support the IDF, and others are boycotting Sabra because they don't support the IDF...  oy vey!  How will Sabra have any idea who is boycotting them and for what reason!?  :::D :::D :::D  All I know is that Lebanon will be happy.
"You must keep the arab under your boot or he will be at your throat" -Unknown

"When we tell the Arab, ‘Come, I want to help you and see to your needs,’ he doesn’t look at us like gentlemen. He sees weakness and then the wolf shows what he can do.” - Maimonides

“I am all peace, but when I speak, they are for war.” -Psalms 120:7

"The difference between a Jewish liberal and a Jewish conservative is that when a Jewish liberal walks out of the Holocaust Museum, he feels, "This shows why we need to have more tolerance and multiculturalism." The Jewish conservative feels, "We should have killed a lot more Nazis, and sooner."" - Philip Klein

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
Industrial hummus never tastes like the real thing and it isn't very healthy either. But I find your substitution of tahina with peanut... interesting. Have you ever tried the original recipe ?

Yes.

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
An alternative if you can find it at your local supermarket: http://www.tribehummus.com
It is at my local market but I wasn't sure if it is a Muslim Nazi company.

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
It is at my local market but I wasn't sure if it is a Muslim Nazi company.
I have a feeling it's an Arab company.I might be wrong interesting article on all this

http://menachemlubinsky.com/kosher/kosher-companies/hummus-war-heats-tribe-launches-jewish-media-blitz/ 

Hummus War Heats Up as Tribe Launches Jewish Media Blitz

Posted by Menachem Lubinsky on September 13, 2010 under Kosher Companies | View Comments

If you're new here, you may want to subscribe to my RSS feed and "Like" my fan page on Facebook. Thanks for visiting!

New York…The story of a pending PepsiCo – Osem Hummus war first broke in Kosher Today last June but the first  shot was fired last week by Tribe with an ad in Jewish weeklies “Not all Hummus is all Natural.” Tribe was apparently challenging the highly successful Sabra brand by taking on the salad giant with the natural claim. A Brooklyn gourmet supermarket has also been highly successful in promoting its own brand of “natural” hummus as opposed to the Sabra brand which includes preservatives and enjoys a much longer shelf life. Sabra USA is owned by PepsiCo.  Osem, 54% of which is owned by Nestle, acquired Tribe in 2008, which is now Osem’s brand of salads in the US. Although it acquired the Sabra brand in Israel, it does not own the US brand and apparently cannot use the name Sabra. The US Sabra is credited with expanding hummus to mainstream consumers with a marketing campaign that includes the use of television. A spokesman for a major supermarket chain told Kosher Today that “hummus is hot and for the moment Sabra owns the category.” Tribe is obviously hoping that by playing the natural card, they will be able to cut into Sabra’s steadily growing dominance in the national hummus market. While Sabra seems to be devoting most of its attention outside of the kosher market, Tribe seems anxious to first carve out a strong niche in the kosher market.

Shot at 2010-01-03