Author Topic: Kibbutz Life From and Insiders Perspective  (Read 1231 times)

Offline דוד בן זאב אריה

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Kahane Was Right
    • Facebook Profile
Kibbutz Life From and Insiders Perspective
« on: March 27, 2011, 02:20:48 AM »
So before I made Aliyah the Jewish Agency requmended that I go to Kibbutz Ulpan based on my age the fact that I am single and don't much money saved up or a job in Israel. Here is the reality of the situation........

......First of all you work and you don't get paid in money you work and you get a roof over your head and food. They guy to cleans up the Cow [censored] and the guy who Is the boss get the same in compinsation. Familes all eat in a Mess Hall a family can't even sit down at there own kitchen table with there kids and have breakfast before the kids go to school. Laundry is done by one or 2 people you have a choice you either have to write a number in permanit marker or sew tha number into you clothes so it doesn't get lost. If you need somthing at the local store you have to get there funny money the same way they do it in Cuba and that is all the store takes. In Shul they were hurding the Ulpanists like cattle telling them where to sit; I've been to hundreds of orthodox Shuls in Israel not once has sometold me I have to sit where they tell me. (HOW DARE THEY) I got into an arguement in Hebrew with someone in Shul I wrote the Hebrew names of those still in the Hospital from the Bobm attack in Jeusalem and he flat out refused to say them in shul. Why???? They are not family it will take too long. Let me make this clear We started at 8am we got out at 9:40 it was by far the fastest Shabbat morning minyan I've ever taken part in. As if an extra 2 minues would have killed their Shabbat Afternoon nap. Shabbat Night and Shabbat day everyone eats in the same mess hall they can't have a family Shabbat dinner. In a nut shell It's pure communism

I came here because the Jewish Agency told me it would be good. I assumed that because they help those making Aliyah for a living they would know what they were talking about. Well I was dead wrong.

David Ben Ze'ev Aryeh

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
Re: Kibbutz Life From and Insiders Perspective
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 07:15:19 AM »
I have heard of situations like this before... Living on a kibbutz has to be a big adjustment for most people... Personally I don't think I could do it even in my younger days...It seems like places like this are intended for kids just out of school who want to spend a little time in Israel but know that they will eventually come back to their families here in the U.S.A... My question is where is the pathway out for someone like yourself who is looking to stay in Israel? I understand for some folks its a place to brush up on the language and get established but if they are paying in funny money how do people put a few bucks together so they can move on?
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline Zelhar

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 07:20:15 AM »
Most Kibbutim no longer practice full blown communism like you experience at the moment. I am surprised you have a minyan, is it a religious kibbutz ?

Offline דוד בן זאב אריה

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Kahane Was Right
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 08:46:34 AM »
Yes I can get out if I want I will see if the Ulpan will help me or not. There are 4 levels of Hebrew and 2 classes I am at the Top level out of the 21 people in the ulpan only 1 person has a higher level of Hebrew them me. And the 3rd level and the 4th are grouped together I just hope that the level 3 people don't hold me back.

Yes it is relious But the Wemon wear Pants and someone here stole the master keys to the Ulpan dorms I had 700 Skekels taken out of my wallet.
David Ben Ze'ev Aryeh

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 08:55:10 AM »
ay karamba...err i mean, oye gavalt!

I wish I knew of other options...So basically, you don't have enough money and the only way to get a roof on your head and have meals is scoop cow poop. Question is, how do you make money if you are stuck at this place?
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 09:21:27 AM »
Sounds like the place has problems... The money being lifted from you wallet is not a good sign... It might just be my New York City upbringing but I don't buy that stolen key story... It may well be the case but it sounds like someone might know who has a few dollars in their pockets and may be using the key to help themselves to it... Anyway G-d willing this is only temporary and you will soon find a better situation for yourself.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 10:11:48 AM by cjd »
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2011, 10:05:35 AM »
Wow.  Leave it to the jewish agency morons to recommend that.

There is a reason their former role was handed over to nefesh b'nefesh - cause they suck at it.

Offline דוד בן זאב אריה

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Kahane Was Right
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2011, 02:41:08 PM »
ay karamba...err i mean, oye gavalt!

I wish I knew of other options...So basically, you don't have enough money and the only way to get a roof on your head and have meals is scoop cow poop. Question is, how do you make money if you are stuck at this place?

No not by any streach of the imagination. It's just an easy way to have everything taken care for you for the first 5 monts in Israel. I am accualy looking into other Ulpan options. Here is idealy what I'd like to have for my Ulpan. Morning or evening Ulpan. Work in the Afternoons and studay torah in my spare time. That way I can earn real money rather then wake up at sunrise and work in the Vinyards or Garden. Oy!! I am at the top to of the Uplan anyway because the crop of people in this Uplan have little to no Hebrew Backround. I'd rather take care of my self then have the Commies (Kibbutznicks) to if for me.
David Ben Ze'ev Aryeh

Offline דוד בן זאב אריה

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Kahane Was Right
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2011, 02:46:36 PM »
I have heard of situations like this before... Living on a kibbutz has to be a big adjustment for most people... Personally I don't think I could do it even in my younger days...It seems like places like this are intended for kids just out of school who want to spend a little time in Israel but know that they will eventually come back to their families here in the U.S.A... My question is where is the pathway out for someone like yourself who is looking to stay in Israel? I understand for some folks its a place to brush up on the language and get established but if they are paying in funny money how do people put a few bucks together so they can move on?

There is a way out. I am not forced to stay here. I have my Absortion Basket for the first 7 months in Israel that goes directly into my bank account and the money I get on a needs basis from Nefesh B'Nefesh puls the money I saved up. But even though it is a "Religious" Place. Notice the quotations; Wemon wear pants and the Uplan is full of secular Jews who won't think twice about walking into shul on Shabbat dressed like a noodnick
David Ben Ze'ev Aryeh

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2011, 02:54:41 PM »

But how do you make money in a kibbutz do that you can move out initially? Can you do private tutoring for the ulpan if you are top of your class?

No not by any streach of the imagination. It's just an easy way to have everything taken care for you for the first 5 monts in Israel. I am accualy looking into other Ulpan options. Here is idealy what I'd like to have for my Ulpan. Morning or evening Ulpan. Work in the Afternoons and studay torah in my spare time. That way I can earn real money rather then wake up at sunrise and work in the Vinyards or Garden. Oy!! I am at the top to of the Uplan anyway because the crop of people in this Uplan have little to no Hebrew Backround. I'd rather take care of my self then have the Commies (Kibbutznicks) to if for me.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline דוד בן זאב אריה

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Kahane Was Right
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2011, 03:23:03 PM »
I get money just for moving here it is put into my account automatically for the first 7 months. Plus I can leave here and learn Hebrew someplace else I would just have to get a job because it would be more expensive then here. 
David Ben Ze'ev Aryeh

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2011, 05:18:15 PM »
I get money just for moving here it is put into my account automatically for the first 7 months. Plus I can leave here and learn Hebrew someplace else I would just have to get a job because it would be more expensive then here. 

ah, I gotchya...

So what are your long term and short term goals?  How old are you? What profession do you seek?