Author Topic: I feel like crying because I'll miss the dog I was watching  (Read 809 times)

Offline The One and Only Mo

• Ultimate JTFer
 I was watching my friend's dog for 2 weeks while he was away, and at first I couldn't stand him because he was loud and he stunk. But then I started bonding with him and his owner just came back today. I really love this dog now, and I miss the way he would cuddle with me and lick me etc. The owner invites me every Shabbos to his house for lunch and I get to see the dog, but do you think he'll remember me? I don't know why I'm so emotional over this. Is this normal or am I gay?

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
Re: I feel like crying because I'll miss the dog I was watching
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 10:11:49 PM »
You're not gay!

Before living with my sister, I never considered myself a pet person.  But I grew very attached to her fat Maltese dog Chloe (who is anti-social, by the way).  It's very relaxing to hold a dog and pet it.  Also, it's nice when you see how they like you, and that they're playful.

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 10:29:58 PM »
You're not gay!

Before living with my sister, I never considered myself a pet person.  But I grew very attached to her fat Maltese dog Chloe (who is anti-social, by the way).  It's very relaxing to hold a dog and pet it.  Also, it's nice when you see how they like you, and that they're playful.
:(

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 10:40:43 PM »
I knew you would become attached to the dog having it around for a few weeks... Anyway you will get to see it each week and the dog will most certainly remember you... Get ready for a big greeting when you walk in.
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 10:45:29 PM »
What prevents you from getting a dog of your own? If you had your own dog he would bond with you even more {especially if you get a dog as a puppy}...

My cats have always been there when it seemed that everyone was bothering me. I cannot imagine living without a cat for the rest of my life. It is not 'gay' to love your pet... That is a very strange thing to say.

The thing that a Jew should be aware of is that we should not allow our relationship with the animal world to interfere with our relations with other humans and our relationship with Hashem.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 11:21:15 PM »
Muman, have you ever owned a dog?

Offline Secularbeliever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 11:41:39 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee

I have a dog named Chloe who lost a leg to bone cancer.  She is coming up on three years of survival.  The average survival is 4 months.
We all need to pray for Barack Obama, may the Lord provide him a safe move back to Chicago in January 2,013.

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2011, 11:55:00 PM »
What prevents you from getting a dog of your own? If you had your own dog he would bond with you even more {especially if you get a dog as a puppy}...

My cats have always been there when it seemed that everyone was bothering me. I cannot imagine living without a cat for the rest of my life. It is not 'gay' to love your pet... That is a very strange thing to say.

The thing that a Jew should be aware of is that we should not allow our relationship with the animal world to interfere with our relations with other humans and our relationship with Hashem.

Nah, I can't afford it, nor do I want to take on that responsibility. But the last thing you said is obviously good mussar; but like all good mussar, it's tough to swallow.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2011, 12:56:08 AM »
Muman, have you ever owned a dog?

As I explained before I had a dog when I was a kid... Remember that photo I posted of my father and brother? My dog Jason was in that photo...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2011, 12:59:45 AM »
I believe it is meritorious for a Jew to take good care of his animals.

It is a mitzvah, in my opinion, to feed your animals before you yourself eat...

http://mobile.chabad.org/m/article_cdo/aid/1008420

During the great Flood, Noah and his family were kept busy feeding all the animals in the ark. The Talmud1 recounts that Eliezer, Abraham's servant, asked of Shem, Noah's eldest son, how they were able to take care of all of the animals and give them individual attention, given that the habits and needs of different species of animals are so divergent?

[Shem] replied: "We had much trouble in the ark. The animals that are usually fed by day we fed by day, and those normally fed by night we fed by night. But my father did not know what was the food of the chameleon.2 One day he was sitting and cutting up a pomegranate, when a worm dropped out of it, which [the chameleon] consumed. From then onward he mashed up bran, and when it became wormy, it devoured it...

The Midrash Tanchuma3 tells that one day Noah was late in feeding the lion. As a result, the lion struck Noah and he became permanently crippled.4

The Maharimat5 explains that Noah was commanded to feed the animals in the proper times. As the verse says:6 "And you, take for yourself of every food that is eaten and gather it in to you, and it shall be for you and for them to eat." Because, on this occasion, he did not fulfill this command, he was punished.

In fact, the Torah commands every man to ensure his animals are fed—and in the proper time. Actually, we are commanded to feed our animals before we eat ourselves. The Talmud7 derives this from the verse:8 "And I will give grass in your field for your livestock" — and only thereafter — "and you will eat and be sated."

What follows is a digest of laws that pertain to feeding animals.

Feeding Animals before Eating

Righteous men have always sought to observe the precept of feeding animals before themselves. It is told that Rabbi Aharon Roke'ach, the Belzer Rebbe of righteous memory, would purchase (or at least become a part owner in) a horse, just so he could observe this mitzvah. Before eating, he would often check to see that the animal was taken care of.9

Some say that feeding animals before eating oneself is a Torah obligation.10 Others say that it is a rabbinic mitzvah (that is merely "supported" by the verse from Deuteronomy quoted above).11 Still others maintain that it's a pious practice, not an outright obligation.12

The Reasons:

Several reasons have been suggested:

1. It is cruel to eat while the animals that depend on us for sustenance are hungry.13
   2. We must emulate G‑d's ways. Concerning G‑d it is written:14 "And His mercy is upon all His creatures"; so we, too, show our mercy to animals.15
   3. The Midrash16 suggests that an entire society might be receiving rain, sustenance, etc., in the merit of the animals. The humans may have sinned to the extent that they do not deserve such blessings, yet G‑d continues to bestow them in the merit of their animals, which committed no sin. Since our food might actually be in the merit of our animals, it's only fair that they should be fed first.17

Which Animals?

* This rule applies to all animals, birds and fish in one's possession that are dependent on their owner for food.18
    * This rule does not apply to animals that belong to another,19 or if they are ownerless. Nevertheless, if one encounters a hungry animal, it is proper to feed it, unless that will cause the animal to continually return for more.20

More Details:

* One mustn't necessarily feed his animals before his every meal; some animals only require one feeding a day. The rule simply means that if the animals' mealtime has arrived, one may not eat before they are fed.21
    * Similarly, if the animals are hungry, the owners must feed them even if they are not yet eating. This falls under the general prohibition against causing pain to animals. Thus one must feed his animals even on a fast day.22 In fact it was the custom of some righteous men to personally feed their animals on Yom Kippur, to elicit Divine mercy.23
    * If one recited a blessing on his food and then realized that he has not yet fed the animals, he may interrupt – before taking a bite – and instruct someone to feed the animals24—this though it is generally forbidden to speak between the blessing and actually eating.25
    * There is disagreement between halachic authorities whether the rule applies to snacking too. The Taz26 holds that it is only forbidden to have a full meal before feeding the animals; whereas to snack is permissible.27 The Magen Avraham, however, holds28 that one may not even have a taste of food before feeding the animals.29
    * The Sefer Chassidim30 says that it is permissible to drink before one's animals. He proves this from the story of Rebecca and Eliezer—where the Torah says that Rebecca gave Eliezer to drink first, and only afterwards did she fill the trough for the camels. Similarly, when Moses drew water from the rock, it says:31 "An abundance of water gushed forth, and the congregation and their livestock drank"—implying that the people drank before the animals.32

To conclude with a fascinating story: The holy Arizal once mentioned to one of his students that he had a "mark" on his face as a result of the sin of causing pain to animals. Upon investigating, this Torah scholar found out that instead of feeding their chickens in the morning, his wife would let them forage for their own food. When he corrected this, the Arizal remarked that the mark on his forehead was gone.33

Feeding Animals Non-Kosher Food

One may feed animals non-kosher food, unless the food contains a mixture of meat34 and milk that was cooked together.35 Therefore, one should ascertain that pet foods do not contain such a mixture.
Chametz on Passover

As it is forbidden to benefit from chametz (leavened bread or grain) on Passover, one needs to find suitable non-chametz foods for one's animals. Check your local (or online) Kosher for Passover food list to find out which pet foods are acceptable.
Feeding Animals on Shabbat & Holidays

On Shabbat and major Jewish holidays it is forbidden to feed stray animals.36 Stray dogs are an exception to this rule, due to their limited food sources.37 Some extend this allowance to include any animal that is actually starving.38

For this reason, it is better not to feed birds on Shabbat Shirah39 (the Shabbat when we read the Song of the Sea as part of the Torah reading), despite the common custom to do so.40 Similarly, one should not feed the fish when doing Tashlich on Rosh Hashanah despite the popular custom to do so,41 though some justify this custom.42

Feeding Animals Human Food

It is forbidden to feed animals food that is fit for human consumption, as this is seen as a degradation of the food, and akin to showing contempt for the bounty that G‑d has given us.43 The Elyah Rabah44 questions whether this is the actual halachah, or just one opinion expressed in the Talmud. Some permit the feeding of human food to one's own animal but not to someone else's.45

If the food is leftover and will otherwise be discarded, it is certainly permitted to feed it to animals.46