Author Topic: 13 Reasons for the Galut  (Read 1847 times)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
13 Reasons for the Galut
« on: August 05, 2011, 08:46:19 PM »
I received this since I am on the Torah.org mailing list. I found this list very interesting because it explains why the Jewish people were exiled from our land. One we rectify the transgressions which brought about our exile then we will be prepared for the final redemption...

http://www.torah.org/learning/hamaayan/5771/devarim.html

Tishah B'Av

Why did Hashem choose exile from Eretz Yisrael as the punishment for the Jewish People rather than some other form of suffering? R' Shmuel Yafeh Ashkenazi z"l (Turkey; 1525-1595; author of commentaries on many midrashim) offers thirteen reasons:

(1) Eretz Yisrael receives special attention from Hashem, as we read (Devarim 11:12), "A Land that Hashem, your Elokim, seeks out; the eyes of Hashem, your Elokim, are always upon it." This is why our Sages say (Ketubot 110b), "Whoever lives in chutz l'aretz is like one who has no G-d" [in contrast to a person in Eretz Yisrael who is under G-d's constant watch]. Eretz Yisrael is Hashem's palace, and one who rebels against the King in the King's palace obviously cannot remain there. Therefore, exile is an appropriate punishment.

(2) If Yisrael are sinful, then being together will reinforce and strengthen that sinfulness. Therefore, it is better that they be dispersed, as we read (Tehilim 92:10), "The doers of iniquity shall be dispersed." Similarly, our Sages say (Sanhedrin 71b), "Dispersion of the wicked is good for them and good for the world."

(3) Just as a mitzvah performed by a multitude is of greater value [i.e., "B'rov am hadrat melech"], so the larger the group that commits a sin, the graver the sin is. This is another reason why dispersion of Yisrael is appropriate when they sin.

(4) As long as Yisrael remained in their Land, they had a false sense of security which made repentance impossible.

(5) Exiling Yisrael was an act of kindness, because a sin committed outside the King's palace is less grave than one committed in the palace.

(6) Exile brings merit to the Jewish People, because it creates the opportunity to be a positive influence on other nations.

(7) Also, exile brings merit to the Jewish People because, by remaining loyal to Hashem despite persecution from their host nations, they earn His favor.

(8) Exile of the Jewish People sanctifies Hashem's Name by publicizing to the whole world that Hashem does not tolerate sin.

(9) Also, Hashem's name is sanctified when the Jewish People allow themselves to be killed al kiddush Hashem rather than give in to their hosts' demands that they apostatize.

(10) Hashem had sworn that the Generation of the Exodus would never enter His home [i.e., Eretz Yisrael] (see Psalms 95:11). [The halachah is that if one vows that another may not enter his house, and then his house is destroyed and he builds a new one, his vow is annulled.] By exiling His people, Hashem made it possible to have a fresh start and to allow the Generation of the Exodus to enter the Land at the time of techiyat ha'meitim.

(11) Wandering in the Exile reduces Yisrael's opportunity to sin.

(12) Exile is a form of punishment and reduces the need for other punishments, which would have been harsher had Yisrael remained on their Land. This is what our Sages mean when they say: "Hashem poured His anger on sticks and stones," i.e., He lessened the need to punish the Jewish People by destroying their homeland.

(13) Finally, because the majority of Yisrael sinned, it was necessary to impose a collective punishment. Had He chosen death or disease, that would have destroyed His people. Therefore, He chose exile. (Yefeh Enayim: Parashat Devarim)

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14