Author Topic: Gardening: Anyone here like to grow food or plants??  (Read 434 times)

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
Gardening: Anyone here like to grow food or plants??
« on: August 26, 2011, 08:16:16 PM »
I'm considering getting back into gardening, I've realized since i've come back to the United States that the food here just tastes really strange, like not natural. My dad used to have a garden and I remember the soil in Illinois was really good to grow stuff and the food tasted natural, we used to grow everything from pumpkins to corn, jalapenos, habaneros, lettuce, eggplant, finding soil like that in Florida is a bit difficult.

I left the country and went down to Colombia and I remember all the food especially the vegetables tasted 100 times better, chicken tasted like real chicken.

I'm looking to get into organic non hybrid plants, I know certain things simply won't grow in Florida, i've tried in the past and if you dig a foot and a half, your hitting water basically, the humidity is harsh too. I'm doing a lot of research on non hybrid organic plants and from my understanding is that most seeds you get today are hybrid and genetically modified which is really bad for your health.

I figured Tomatos and Jalapenos should grow fine but i'm probably better off growing them in a plant with some really good fertilizer, not sure what else will grow down here but I was hoping we'd have some fellow gardeners who would know?

This is what i'm looking at.

http://www.non-hybrid-seeds.com/sp/specialty-packs/tomato-lover-s-pack-59.html

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
Re: Gardening: Anyone here like to grow food or plants??
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2011, 07:10:13 AM »
Tomatoes are really easy to grow but make sure you grow enough of them. If it's hot and the birds are thirsty they will eat some of the tomatoes. You can use various methods to scare them away but most of them don't work well. I suggest putting out a bird bath so they can drink from it.

Offline serbian army

• Master JTFer
Re: Gardening: Anyone here like to grow food or plants??
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2011, 09:14:34 AM »
One of my friends says that you can grow almost everything here in Florida and that medium sized backyard can yield 700 worth of food every 10 days.
Serbia will never surrender Kosovo to the breakaway province's ethnic Albanian majority or trade its territory for European Union or NATO membership,