Author Topic: Jewish Chaplains needed in the U.S. Military don't leave Jewish servicemen  (Read 1050 times)

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
without Jewish chaplains.Yes i know they should be in Israel according to many here but the fact is Jewish Serviceman are left without Chaplains

http://h2hinterface.com/content.php?217-In-The-Navy-On-Choosing-Military-Chaplaincy       

In The Navy: On Choosing Military Chaplaincy
by
H2HAdmin
Published on 09-13-2011 12:13 AM
4 Comments Comments
by Yonina Creditor

I always knew I wanted to be rabbi - just not a pulpit rabbi. So, with some encouragement from friends, and a visit from the NAVY recruiter, I took my commission and went to Officer Development School (ODS) for naval officers this summer. I expect to go active duty this June after ordination from JTS.

Since then, here is what I have come to understand:

1) There are Jews in the military, but not enough rabbis to minister to them.

I have heard from so many people that while they serve, there are no rabbis available. If there is a chaplain, they are usually Christian and can make Jewish service people uncomfortable. These service people have no one to turn to of their own faith when others try to get them to convert. And, there is no one to explain and educate them, or to lead services and run Seders.

These Jewish service people spend their days putting their lives on the line to defend our freedom and we must now take up the call to strengthen their ability to be Jews - however they define themselves.

2) A Halachic movement can work within the structure of military life.

As a Conservative Rabbi, we are not so rigid that we can not integrate ourselves with the sailors around us and we are flexible enough to maintain standards of Jewish observances within the military framework. We believe in Klal Yisrael and extend our hand to other sects at every opportunity.

During my time, I was able to keep Shabbat and Kosher, while continuing my bond with my unit. It was inconvenient, but it was not impossible at ODS. My presence gave other Jews the strength to identify as Jews and speak openly about it.

3) Judaism can provide a universal religious voice.

Judaism believes in social justice, love of God and our neighbor and respect to all. As well, these are also ideals held by the Navy, "To defend freedom and democracy around the world... with honor, courage and commitment ... and the fair treatment of all." These words are part of the Sailor's Creed and our known by every member of the NAVY.

4) Jewish Military Chaplains engage in important interfaith dialogue and work.

I became close with other religious Christians in my unit. We had a mutual respect for each other and I did not feel the need to defend Judaism and its existence. There was also a built-in understanding by Christians that Judaism was the basis of their religion. We had interfaith dialogue where we taught each other the unique parts of our religions. Through these discussions, our respect for each other grew. We as Conservative Jews can use our work as Military Chaplains to engage in interfaith dialogue and continue building strong relationships with our spiritual brothers.

5) Where else can I do every aspect the rabbinate has to offer?

There are too few rabbis trying to a yeoman's job. But, Jewish chaplains serve as hospital chaplains, marriage counselors, social workers, teachers, preachers, preside over life cycle events and be service leaders. We are responsible for everyone in our unit, regardless of religious affiliation.

In conclusion, to do this does not mean that I love Israel any less. It means that Israel is my spiritual home and I am taking care of Klal Yisrael (the entire community of Israel) and those who serve alongside her in defense of democracy around the world.

Yes, the job comes with some challenges and discipline but that sacrifice is worth it when it means I can serve God and Country and be a light unto all people as a rabbi and chaplain.

If you are contemplating the rabbinate, please consider a career in the US Military as a Chaplain.

ENS Yonina Creditor
ODS Class 11070 Kilo Company
CCPO, USN
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline Dave J. Wallace

• New JTFer
Glad to hear that there are Jews who fight for this country and loyal to it. Though I also believe that Jews should live in a land of Israel, some should also keept this country strong and fight Islamic terrorism alongside our righteous Gentile friends..