Author Topic: My Experience On The Train Tonight With An Old Liberal Jewish Lady  (Read 1788 times)

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
I couldn't help myself.

I was on the Long Island Railroad commuting back from work with a co-worker.  We took a seat with this group of men and one old woman, who was chatty.

It turns out the woman used to own a boutique where I live which sold makeup, costume jewelry, wigs, etc.  Now she's retired.  Anyway, she was giving health advice to the man sitting across from me.  She said don't eat red meat at all because it has saturated fat, and it will raise your cholesterol.

So I innocently chimed in about how I don't believe in this business about high cholesterol causing heart disease.  (Personally, I think it's all about drug companies pushing statins on people.).  Then she insisted it was all true, just like climate change.  My answer to that was "junk science." 

When she asked me where I get my information from, I told her I read blogs.  She then said I should watch MSNBC.  Then I just said "oh," which set her off.  All of the sudden she called me prejudiced.  She then wanted to know what I know of MSNBC.  So I told her I know of Chris Mathews. 

Then she was like "Chris Mathews is very intelligent, etc.  Why don't you like him?" 

This is when I lost it.  My answer was:

"Not to be vulgar but the man has his lips crazy glued to Obama's you-know-what." 

Then she how she was shocked at how young people my age are so right wing, and so hateful, blah blah, blah. 

This is also a woman who said earlier in the conversation that there are too many Synagogues in Great Neck, and that they pay no taxes.  But to be fair, when I asked her if there were too many churches in Manhasset, she also said yes.  She admitted to being Jewish, but not really believing in anything. 

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
Re: My Experience On The Train Tonight With An Old Liberal Jewish Lady
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 08:29:49 PM »
I don't really think dietary cholesterol causes high cholesterol directly, but red meat does have saturated fat and I think if you eat too bad much fat that can raise your bad cholesterol.

It's sad that she was so liberal though and so old that she's likely stuck in her ways.

Offline eb22

• Ultimate JTFer
  • No Appeasement.or Concessions.Fakestine is a Hoax.
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 12:00:51 AM »

This is also a woman who said earlier in the conversation that there are too many Synagogues in Great Neck, and that they pay no taxes.  But to be fair, when I asked her if there were too many churches in Manhasset, she also said yes.  She admitted to being Jewish, but not really believing in anything.  

If this woman is asked are there too many mosques on Hillside Ave.,    I'm highly confident her answer would be no.
"Israel's leaders seem to be more afraid of Obama than they are of G-d. Now we're getting to the real root of the problem. Secular politics won't save Israel. Denying the divine nature of the Jewish State has brought Israel neither stability nor peace. When that changes Israel will finally be blessed with both in abundance"-----------NormanF   ( Posted on Israel Matzav's Blog )

http://jtf.org/

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, 12:11:42 AM »
I agree with you on diet, Lisa. The reason why we live in an epidemic of coronary disease is that the NWO health establishment got lard and butter out of our diets decades ago and replaced it with trans fats (hydrogenated oils). As for this crazy lady, it's best just to blow her off.

Offline maelgwyn

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 12:28:48 AM »
Do any of you Yanks ever WALK anywhere ?   Ive walk about 35 miles a week in ALL weathers when ive got the time !  Walking is the key to good health !  [March or Die]   :o

Offline Brett

• Junior JTFer
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2011, 01:37:47 AM »
there are too many Synagogues

Crikeys wish there was at least 1 Synagogue near me  :'(  .

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2011, 02:30:29 AM »
lol, an old Jewish lady complaining that there are too many synagogues?   What has Jewish reformism done to our old-time Jewish bubbes?   How shameful.

But MSLSD, gotta watch that.

Offline maelgwyn

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2011, 04:18:16 AM »
Schull near me closed about 13 years ago ! :'(

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2011, 07:49:56 AM »
So you should tell the old woman to go die because there is Gd everywhere.  Actually then I'd she dies that won't change anything because Gd will be in her face.

I agree with everything you said, Lisa, except for that cholesterol bit.  High cholesterol can contribute to the severity of cardiovascular disease amongst other things.  I say thus because I don't want jtfers or you or loved ones to listen to stupid blogs and think there is a conspiracy with drug companies.  Bad cholesterol, ldl, can be countered with good cholesterol, hdl, that comes from alpha omega fats.  Not everyone needs medication and if they do, they should still change their diet so they can come off the medication.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2011, 09:17:24 AM »
Do any of you Yanks ever WALK anywhere ?   Ive walk about 35 miles a week in ALL weathers when ive got the time !  Walking is the key to good health !  [March or Die]   :o
To walk to Manhattan from Lisa's area i imagine it would be 17 miles each way every day to work.
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2011, 09:21:12 AM »
I agree with you on diet, Lisa. The reason why we live in an epidemic of coronary disease is that the NWO health establishment got lard and butter out of our diets decades ago and replaced it with trans fats (hydrogenated oils). As for this crazy lady, it's best just to blow her off.

I don't think lard and butter are bad for people once in a while because they're natural, traditional sources of fat, but of course you can go overboard on any type of fat so it shouldn't be consumed too regularly.

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2011, 06:45:01 PM »
So you should tell the old woman to go die because there is Gd everywhere.  Actually then I'd she dies that won't change anything because Gd will be in her face.

I agree with everything you said, Lisa, except for that cholesterol bit.  High cholesterol can contribute to the severity of cardiovascular disease amongst other things.  I say thus because I don't want jtfers or you or loved ones to listen to stupid blogs and think there is a conspiracy with drug companies.  Bad cholesterol, ldl, can be countered with good cholesterol, hdl, that comes from alpha omega fats.  Not everyone needs medication and if they do, they should still change their diet so they can come off the medication.
Please remember that it was the medical establishment, backed by the international soybean industry, that is completely responsible for our cardiovascular/cerebrovascular disease pandemic. Over the course of decades "bad" saturated fats have been almost completely removed from our diets. We now have nothing but white-meat chicken breast available anywhere (suits me just fine, it makes the thigh meat, which is the best part, very cheap at the store) and marketers of chocolate milk are required to make it "low-fat" because it is consumed disproportionately by children. We act like animal-derived grease is worse than smoking. Sixty to eighty years ago, the average American breakfast consisted of heaping strips of bacon, waffles soaked in massive amounts of pure butter, and brim-full cups of whole milk. Tell me--how much heart disease was there then? How much obesity was there, particularly childhood obesity?

It's true that the best fats are in olive oil, nuts, and fish oil (though to get meaningful amounts of the latter you generally need to consume massive amounts of mercury), but there is nothing wrong with natural, G-d given animal fats. Is it unhealthy for the animals? Fat is one of the basic building blocks of life and no form of life could survive a minute without it. The only thing "wrong" with saturated fat is it is very high in calories, so just be sure to burn it off.

As for cholesterol, what matters is not total cholesterol but the balance of HDL to LDL (you want to have more of the former). The number one proven cause of high LDL levels, besides bad genetics, is a diet high in trans fats.

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2011, 10:52:07 PM »
My mother, who is about 5 "4 and who has always been very skinny, and never a big eater, has battled high cholesterol for many years.  But due to some stressful events, of the past two years, she lost even more weight.  Now she's about 87 pounds. 

I find it hard to believe that she got that way by eating loads of butter, red meat, and full fat dairy products because that's not how she's ever eaten.  Now you could say that some causes of high cholesterol are genetic.  And maybe that's the case with her.  I don't know. 

My mother's brother, who was never heavy, was also diagnosed with high cholesterol, and given medication.  Yet he still had a stroke. 

It seems to me like the dietary establishment has made cholesterol into a bogeyman.  So what about triglyceride levels?  What about blood pressure? 

Offline maelgwyn

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2011, 11:15:13 PM »
MORD  My apologies thats too far , i forgot how big New York is ! 5 miles a day is my limit !

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2011, 07:49:54 AM »
MORD  My apologies thats too far , i forgot how big New York is ! 5 miles a day is my limit !
:::D :)
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2011, 08:12:22 AM »
Please remember that it was the medical establishment, backed by the international soybean industry, that is completely responsible for our cardiovascular/cerebrovascular disease pandemic. Over the course of decades "bad" saturated fats have been almost completely removed from our diets. We now have nothing but white-meat chicken breast available anywhere (suits me just fine, it makes the thigh meat, which is the best part, very cheap at the store) and marketers of chocolate milk are riequired to make it "low-fat" because it is consumed disproportionately by children. We act like animal-derived grease is worse than smoking. Sixty to eighty years ago, the average American breakfast consisted of heaping strips of bacon, waffles soaked in massive amounts of pure butter, and brim-full cups of whole milk. Tell me--how much heart disease was there then? How much obesity was there, particularly childhood obesity?

It's true that the best fats are in olive oil, nuts, and fish oil (though to get meaningful amounts of the latter you generally need to consume massive amounts of mercury), but there is nothing wrong with natural, G-d given animal fats. Is it unhealthy for the anim

als? Fat is one of the basic building blocks of life and no form of life could survive a minute without it. The only thing "wrong" with saturated fat is it is very high in calories, so just be sure to burn it off.

As for cholesterol, what matters is not total cholesterol but the balance of HDL to LDL (you want to have more of the former). The number one proven cause of high LDL levels, besides bad genetics, is a diet high in trans fats.

Back then these animals were not injected with antibiotics and hormones.  Secondly back then people didnt live long enough either.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2011, 12:28:23 PM »
My mother, who is about 5 "4 and who has always been very skinny, and never a big eater, has battled high cholesterol for many years.  But due to some stressful events, of the past two years, she lost even more weight.  Now she's about 87 pounds. 

I find it hard to believe that she got that way by eating loads of butter, red meat, and full fat dairy products because that's not how she's ever eaten.  Now you could say that some causes of high cholesterol are genetic.  And maybe that's the case with her.  I don't know. 

My mother's brother, who was never heavy, was also diagnosed with high cholesterol, and given medication.  Yet he still had a stroke. 

It seems to me like the dietary establishment has made cholesterol into a bogeyman.  So what about triglyceride levels?  What about blood pressure? 

like many things in health and dentistry, genetics does play a huge component to these problems.

Here is an example.  Some people never brush their teeth and smoke cigarettes, and still have their teeth with no gum disease or tooth loss.  Does that mean that everybody shouldn't use a tooth brush and smoke cigarettes?

And then you have to opposite, someone who brushes, flosses, sees the dentist regularly and they need a ton of dental work on top of more dental work and then tooth loss and then dental implants etc.  Does that mean that cleaning teeth causes problems?

So it's important to have faith in good doctors and the science behind the medications that are used to help control someone's sickness if it can't be controlled without medications.

Cholesterol alone may not cause heart disease and stroke. It is a number of other factors combined that contribute to it.

Offline HiWarp

• Master JTFer
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2011, 12:37:32 PM »
Back then these animals were not injected with antibiotics and hormones.  Secondly back then people didnt live long enough either.

It's true that back then a lot of people did not live long enough to be stricken with some of the diseases that we see skyrocketing today. But back then people also did not eat overly processed garbage masquerading as food and did not generally lead lazy, sedentary lives either.
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny;
when the government fears the people, there is liberty.”
---Thomas Jefferson

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2011, 01:28:00 PM »
It's true that back then a lot of people did not live long enough to be stricken with some of the diseases that we see skyrocketing today. But back then people also did not eat overly processed garbage masquerading as food and did not generally lead lazy, sedentary lives either.

Maybe the modern food isn't as bad as people think considering that people DO live longer now. Then again I think most of it comes down to modern medicine, not food, that is helping people to live longer.

Offline SharonD

• Junior JTFer
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2011, 02:21:43 PM »
Then she was like "Chris Mathews is very intelligent, etc.  Why don't you like him?" 

This is also a woman who said earlier in the conversation that there are too many Synagogues in Great Neck, and that they pay no taxes.  But to be fair, when I asked her if there were too many churches in Manhasset, she also said yes.  She admitted to being Jewish, but not really believing in anything. 

I wish I were there. I would have sliced her to ribbons. Jews like her are the worst. And, of course, I do not consider her Jewish. She is hopelessly stupid. How wonderful of her to "admit" to being Jewish, as if it's a crime.

I would have flipped it on her and made some remark like, "Oh, I can tell you're Jewish, in name only, of course. You're classic. Where's the hammer and sickle around your neck?"
~__/>
  /\ /\

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2011, 02:50:54 PM »
Boy, I wonder if she was one of my relatives.  They are all Obama worshipers.   :'(

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2011, 03:23:31 PM »
How come there was no childhood obesity then? That wouldn't have taken a long time to show up. For that matter, adult obesity and attendant diseases like T2D were far lower then too.

People did not live as long then due to infectious diseases and higher smoking.

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2011, 05:33:05 PM »
Good one SharonD. 

I wish I also could have sliced her to ribbons.  But there's a part of me that says "Don't start trouble Lisa.  It's not nice to argue with old ladies." 

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2011, 05:38:17 PM »
Where's the Iron Cross around her neck is more like it.