Author Topic: Saying God's name in vain......  (Read 1862 times)

Offline Sarah

• Ultimate JTFer
Saying God's name in vain......
« on: June 24, 2007, 04:55:43 PM »
I was wondering, if a commandment is not to utter God's name in vain and therefore refer to God as Haschem etc then would it not be considerably bad to say:

Oh My God and all the other versions, uttering the word God when something misfortunate has happened.

Offline judeanoncapta

• Master JTFer
  • Rebuild it now!!!!
Re: Saying G-d's name in vain......
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2007, 08:58:27 PM »
I was wondering, if a commandment is not to utter G-d's name in vain and therefore refer to G-d as Haschem etc then would it not be considerably bad to say:

Oh My G-d and all the other versions, uttering the word G-d when something misfortunate has happened.

Some people take this commandment further and further and therefore refuse to say the word God in vain.  This is a little strict.

The actual commandment is not to pronounce the Tetragrammaton(Hashem's four letter name).

This name was actually said during Temple times when blessing Hashem in the Temple and it will be pronounced there again God Willing.

The word "God" is not the name of Hashem and therefore is fine to say. The putting of a dash in the word "God". Is a little bit of a stringency. An understandable stringency but a stringency nevertheless.

Post questions here for the ASK JUDEA TORAH SHOW

my blog: Yehudi-Nation

Who is truly wise? He who can see the future. I see tommorow today and I want to end it - Rabbi Meir Daweedh Kahana