Author Topic: Inspiring Music?  (Read 66445 times)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: Inspiring Music?
« Reply #225 on: November 26, 2013, 10:36:44 PM »
What can I say besides, Classic... Crossroads with Eric Clapton and BB King...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Ephraim Ben Noach

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #226 on: November 26, 2013, 10:40:59 PM »
Ezekiel 33:6 But if the watchman see the sword come, and blow not the horn, and the people be not warned, and the sword do come, and take any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity, but his blood will I require at the watchman's hand.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #227 on: November 26, 2013, 10:44:07 PM »
Good one Ephraim again. CCR is a band which my Romanian boss brought up over a meeting we had a few weeks ago. He said CCR was popular in Romania for some reason.

Anyway, I am still on the blues kick... Here is a guy I saw named Johnny Winter, one of the most popular contemporary blues performers (according to his bio)...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #228 on: November 26, 2013, 10:46:58 PM »
Newer stuff.

Ezekiel 33:6 But if the watchman see the sword come, and blow not the horn, and the people be not warned, and the sword do come, and take any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity, but his blood will I require at the watchman's hand.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #229 on: November 26, 2013, 10:55:41 PM »
Anyone like flute music? How about rock & roll flute? How about Jethro Tull? Saw this band in the 90s also...

My ex-wife said she spoke with Ian Anderson on the phone once... It is a long story, but I believe it is true (she knew an important figure in rock music).

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #230 on: November 26, 2013, 11:02:03 PM »

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #231 on: November 26, 2013, 11:03:51 PM »
Did you see I posted SRV above?
Yes, I love SVR!

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #232 on: November 26, 2013, 11:10:20 PM »
Jeff Healy, you beat me to that one... I actually saw him also, but I cannot find the ticket stub for that. It was a small place called The Strand...

Here is a song 'Farm on the Freeway' from the 'Crest of a Knave' album (the album of the year I saw them)...

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #233 on: November 26, 2013, 11:13:13 PM »

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #234 on: November 26, 2013, 11:26:21 PM »
The entire Jeff Healy story is both sad and incredible. This man was definitely a talented musician, and his time on this earth was spent spreading the light of music.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Healy

Norman Jeffrey "Jeff" Healey (March 25, 1966 – March 2, 2008) was a blind Canadian jazz and blues-rock vocalist and guitarist who attained musical and personal popularity, particularly in the 1980s and 1990s.

Early life

Born in Toronto, Ontario, Healey was raised in the city's west end. He was adopted as an infant;[1] his adoptive father was a firefighter. When he was one year old, Healey lost his sight to retinoblastoma, a rare cancer of the eyes. His eyes had to be surgically removed, and he was given ocular prostheses.
Healey began playing guitar when he was three, developing his unique style of playing the instrument flat on his lap. When he was 15,[2] Jeff Healey formed the band Blue Direction, a four-piece band which primarily played bar-band cover tunes. Among the other musicians were bassist Jeremy Littler, drummer Graydon Chapman, and a schoolmate, Rob Quail on second guitar. This band played various local clubs in Toronto, including the Colonial Tavern.

Healey began hosting a jazz and blues show on radio station CIUT-FM where he became known for playing from his massive collection of vintage 78 rpm gramophone records.[3]

Shortly thereafter he was introduced to two musicians, bassist Joe Rockman and drummer Tom Stephen, with whom he formed a trio, The Jeff Healey Band. This band made their first public appearance at the Birds Nest, located upstairs at Chicago's Diner on Queen Street West in Toronto. They received a write-up in Toronto's NOW magazine, and soon were playing almost nightly in local clubs, such as Grossman's Tavern and the famed blues club Albert's Hall (where Jeff Healey was discovered by guitarists Stevie Ray Vaughan and Albert Collins).

Illness and death

On January 11, 2007, Healey underwent surgery to remove metastatic tissue from both lungs. In the previous eighteen months, he had two sarcomas removed from his legs.[8]

On March 2, 2008, Healey died of cancer[9] at St. Joseph's Health Centre in his home town of Toronto.[10] He was 41 years old. His death came a month before the release of Mess of Blues, which was his first rock/blues album in eight years.[11]

Healey is survived by his wife, Cristie, and two children.[12] A tribute concert was held on May 3, 2008, to benefit Daisy's Eye Cancer Fund, which, according to Cristie Healey, had helped make major strides in research and future advances for people born with the same genetically inherited retinoblastoma[13] which led to Healey's blindness at eleven months of age. Cristie and Jeff Healey's son was also born with the same disability.[14]
In 2009, Healey was inducted into the Terry Fox Hall of Fame.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #235 on: November 26, 2013, 11:33:30 PM »
Now I am careening off into an entirely different direction from classic blues, experimental jazz, etc... Tangerine Dream (which I also happen to have seen) is an electronica / atmosphere music band...

One of my oldest ticket scans...

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #236 on: November 26, 2013, 11:45:02 PM »

Offline Nachus

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #237 on: November 26, 2013, 11:50:19 PM »
 :usa+israel:                                                                                                                               :fist:

The infamous Geddy Lee of Rush shows that Canadian Jews can sing falsetto style.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #238 on: November 26, 2013, 11:54:00 PM »
Shalom Nachus... Yes indeed Geddy is a Jew... I posted a Rush video a few years ago where he clearly could be seen wearing a Magen David.

Holy Shmoly... Someone recorded the show I saw at Irvine Meadows in 1986 (One of my first Rock shows I saw when I moved to California in 84)...

Saw this show with my 1st High School buddy... Esko Jaska (an ethnic Estonian no less)...

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #239 on: November 27, 2013, 12:03:48 AM »
Ok... I bet none of you reading this have ever heard of a band called 'King Crimson'.... This stuff is pretty wild...

Robert Fripp is a unique guitarist and I have heard he uses an alternate tuning... The band also employed one of my favorite drummers, Bill Bruford who is more famous for playing with the band 'Yes'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_crimson

King Crimson are a progressive rock band. Founded in London in 1968 by a group of musicians from western England (but featuring a transatlantic lineup from 1981 onwards), the band is widely recognised as a foundational progressive rock group despite the band's own resistance to the label.[5] The band has incorporated diverse influences and instrumentation during its history (including jazz and folk music, classical and experimental music, psychedelic rock, hard rock and heavy metal,[6] New Wave, gamelan, electronica and drum and bass).

The band's line-up has persistently altered throughout their existence, with eighteen musicians and three lyricists passing through the ranks. The only musician to appear in every line-up of the band has been founding guitarist Robert Fripp, although others' tenures have sometimes extended for decades. Due to the number of musicians involved in King Crimson over the years (and the band's emphasis on creativity and on recruiting high-level players) the band is at the hub of a network of other bands and projects, and has been influential to many contemporary musical artists. The band has a large following, despite garnering little radio or music video airplay.[7]

Offline Nachus

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #240 on: November 27, 2013, 12:09:11 AM »
 :usa+israel:                                                                                                                                     :fist:

Shalom Muman,

Rush is definitely a great band and some of Geddy's better ballads have lyrics that are brilliant and insightful.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #241 on: November 27, 2013, 12:15:06 AM »
I will post some classic Rush shortly Nachus... I saw the band about six times in 20 years of going to shows... One of my all-time favorite bands, and Alex Lifeson is an awesome guitarist.

Here is another classic King Crimson tune...

Offline Nachus

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #242 on: November 27, 2013, 12:17:15 AM »
 :usa+israel:                                                                                                                                 :fist:

King Crimson are superb musicians and Yes a legendary band!

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #243 on: November 27, 2013, 12:22:46 AM »
Shalom Nachus,

Indeed these bands are well-respected because they have talented players... Here is a live Rush song 'Presto' from 1989 (oh how I remember that year)... Saw Rush first during the 'Signals' tour in 1982...

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #244 on: November 27, 2013, 12:30:59 AM »
Another one from the 'Presto' album, SuperConductor...

And from the previous album Hold Your Fire, 'Time Stand Still'...

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #245 on: November 27, 2013, 12:39:48 AM »
Classic, Classic Rush... From their first album, Fly By Night...

Anthem:

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #246 on: November 27, 2013, 12:52:48 AM »
One or two more from Rush... I am a fan..

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #247 on: November 27, 2013, 07:32:28 AM »
Rush has great musicians also
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #248 on: November 27, 2013, 07:35:39 AM »
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline The Noachide

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #249 on: November 27, 2013, 01:21:59 PM »
Billie holiday cover