Author Topic: PS770 "New American Academy"  (Read 1246 times)

Online Zelhar

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
PS770 "New American Academy"
« on: December 11, 2012, 09:58:22 AM »
Last week there was an article about Shimon Waronker in the Israeli press. Personally I am not impressed of his success and don't think it should be implemented to all public schools where normal human beings study as opposed to the schools he transforms.

And of course Chaim guessed right, he did change the name of the school to PS770 in honor of the Rebbe (I doubt if the Rebbe would have liked that honor). He is also talking about tikun olam and universal fraternity between all people.

http://www.calcalist.co.il/local/articles/0,7340,L-3589613,00.html

Offline JTFenthusiast

• Full JTFer
Re: PS770 "New American Academy"
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 10:05:24 AM »
I kind of think it's sweet from the pictures at least.  It wouldn't hurt to have more understanding between Jews and blacks who want it.

Online Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2012, 10:21:33 AM »
I kind of think it's sweet from the pictures at least.  It wouldn't hurt to have more understanding between Jews and blacks who want it.
It's always the Jews and the whites who do the understanding and the appeasing. Don't expect any gratitude from the little malcontents and their mommies and their absent baby daddies.

In the article they also tell that when he was principle of a junior high school in the Bronx, he invited gang bangers to be part of the "students congress", whatever that is.

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2012, 12:22:31 PM »
This post reminds me of this one time when I was at B'nai Jeshurun many years ago, (way before my shift to the right). 

They had invited a group of blacks to the Friday night service.  I think this was some time after the Crown Heights pogrom.  And they even had one of them speak. 

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2012, 12:45:09 PM »
On the one hand, it can be futile to try to prove a point to the enemy of the Jewish people by acting like a "nice" Jew.

On the other hand, if one Jew (in particular religious), presents himself in a positive light amongst that same group, at least it could leave a lasting good impression on one individual of what a good Jew is versus never knowing what a Jews except on how they are portrayed on TV or as a bad light.  Ignorance is a terrible thing.

I'm against making overtures to appease the enemy.  However, I'm for reducing any potential for ignorance. 
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Online Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2012, 03:37:52 PM »
On the one hand, it can be futile to try to prove a point to the enemy of the Jewish people by acting like a "nice" Jew.

On the other hand, if one Jew (in particular religious), presents himself in a positive light amongst that same group, at least it could leave a lasting good impression on one individual of what a good Jew is versus never knowing what a Jews except on how they are portrayed on TV or as a bad light.  Ignorance is a terrible thing.

I'm against making overtures to appease the enemy.  However, I'm for reducing any potential for ignorance.
You don't understand these people, they despise you if you try to help them and hate you even more. Haven't Jews done enough for them ? haven't Jews fought for them, some even died for them, donated money and effort and goodwill without end ?

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2012, 04:34:41 PM »
I know a couple of very good Jewish converts who are black. I don't think there is anything wrong with inviting African Americans who truly have an interest in Judaism to join... Not all of them are our enemies..
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2012, 09:50:35 PM »
I know a couple of very good Jewish converts who are black. I don't think there is anything wrong with inviting African Americans who truly have an interest in Judaism to join... Not all of them are our enemies..

!?

Proselytizing is forbidden!