Author Topic: Margaret Thatcher, Britain's 'Iron Lady' Prime Minister, Dead at 87  (Read 8464 times)

Offline Havok

• Full JTFer
  • You'll never get rid of me

Margaret Thatcher, the first woman ever to serve as prime minister of Great Britain and the longest-serving British prime minister of the 20th century has died at age 87.

"It is with great sadness that Mark and Carol Thatcher announced that their mother Baroness Thatcher died peacefully following a stroke this morning," Lord Timothy Bell said today. "A further statement will be made later."

Thatcher had significant health problems in her later years, suffering several small strokes and, according to her daughter, struggling with dementia.

In Dec. 2012, she was underwent an operation to remove a bladder growth, longtime adviser Tim Bell told The Associated Press.

But during her long career on the political stage, Thatcher was known as the Iron Lady. She led Great Britain as Prime Minister from 1979 to 1990, a champion of free-market policies and adversary of the Soviet Union.

PHOTOS: Margaret Thatcher Through The Years

Many considered her Britain's Ronald Reagan. In fact, Reagan and Thatcher were political soul mates. Reagan called her the "best man in England" and she called him "the second most important man in my life." The two shared a hatred of communism and a passion for small government. What America knew as "Reaganomics" is still called "Thatcherism" in Britain.

Like Reagan, Thatcher was an outsider in the old boys' club. Just as it was unlikely for an actor to lead the Republicans, the party of Lincoln, it was unthinkable that a grocer's daughter could lead the Conservatives, the party of Churchill and William Pitt -- that is, until Thatcher. She led the Conservatives from 1975 to 1990, the only woman ever to do so.

Personal Life

Thatcher was born Margaret Hilda Roberts on Oct. 13, 1925 in Grantham, England. She attended Somerville College, Oxford, where she studied chemistry, and later, in 1953, qualified as a barrister, specializing in tax issues.

She married Denis Thatcher on Dec. 13, 1951, and their marriage lasted for nearly 52 years until his death in June 2003. The couple had twins, Mark and Carol, in 1953.

When Thatcher was elected to Britain's House of Commons in 1959, she was its youngest female member. In 1970, when the Conservatives took power, she was made Britain's secretary of state for education and science. In 1975, she was chosen to lead the Conservatives, and she became the prime minister in 1979.

WATCH: May 4, 1979: Margaret Thatcher Becomes Prime Minister

Her policies were controversial. She took on the nation's labor unions, forcing coal miners to return to work after a year on strike.

"We should back the workers and not the shirkers," she said in May 1978.

She pushed for privatization, lower taxes, and deregulation. And she sought to keep Britain from surrendering any of its sovereignty to the European Union.

FULL COVERAGE: Margaret Thatcher

Thatcher receives standing ovation at Conservative Party Conference in October 1989. REUTERS/Stringer/FilesThatcher receives standing ovation at Conservative Party Conference in October 1989. REUTERS/Stringer/FilesThatcher's admirers say she rejuvenated Britain's faltering economy. Her critics say the rich got richer and the poor were left behind.

In the inner cities, Thatcherism brought a violent backlash. There were calls from her own party to change course. But Thatcher resisted.

"You turn if you want to," she said in October 1980. "The lady's not for turning."

She had courage in abundance. In 1982, when Argentina invaded the Falkland Islands, she took Britain to war -- and won.

In 1984, she narrowly escaped being killed when the IRA bombed her hotel during a party conference. The morning after, she convened the conference on schedule -- undaunted.

She recognized Mikhail Gorbachev as a man who could help to end the Cold War, commenting famously, "I like Mr. Gorbachev. We can do business together."

Ronald Reagan thought so, too. Together, Thatcher and Reagan savored victory in the Cold War as their proudest achievement. But while Alzheimer's forced Reagan to retire from public life, Thatcher kept on long after leaving Downing Street.

She became Baroness Thatcher, a symbolic leader for a party that struggled to find a worthy successor.

By the time of President Reagan's funeral in 2004, Lady Thatcher had already suffered several strokes. She was a silent witness at her friend's farewell, but she had the foresight to record a eulogy for Reagan several months earlier.

"As the last journey of this faithful pilgrim took him beyond the sunset, and as heaven's morning broke, I like to think -- in the words of Bunyan -- that 'all the trumpets sounded on the other side," she said.
http://gma.yahoo.com/margaret-thatcher--britain-s--iron-lady--prime-minister--dies-120034251.html
The moral of this story is that no matter how much we try, no matter how much we want it … some stories just don't have a happy ending.

Offline Irish Zionist

• Forum Administrator
  • Ultimate JTFer
    • My zootube channel
Re: Margaret Thatcher, Britain's 'Iron Lady' Prime Minister, Dead at 87
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 01:21:23 PM »
 :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :fireworks: :fireworks: :fireworks: :fireworks:
The banding together by the nations of the world against Israel is the guarantee that their time of destruction is near and the final redemption of the Jew at hand.
Rabbi Meir Kahane

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 02:28:04 PM »
:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :fireworks: :fireworks: :fireworks: :fireworks:

Wasn't she good? She was like England's Reagan. Why be happy?

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 02:48:50 PM »
I'm not happy that she or Reagan liked Gorbachev but she was a heck of a lot better than most politicians.

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 02:53:57 PM »
I'm not happy that she or Reagan liked Gorbachev but she was a heck of a lot better than most politicians.

Isn't Putin worse than Gorbachev?

Offline Irish Zionist

• Forum Administrator
  • Ultimate JTFer
    • My zootube channel
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2013, 03:05:11 PM »

I haven't been this happy in ages, this [censored] hated the Irish and I spit on her grave!
The banding together by the nations of the world against Israel is the guarantee that their time of destruction is near and the final redemption of the Jew at hand.
Rabbi Meir Kahane

Offline Super Mentalita

• Master JTFer
  • Kill 'em all. Let God sort 'em out!
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2013, 03:06:42 PM »
I haven't been this happy in ages, this [censored] hated the Irish and I spit on her grave!

You also spit on the graves of the British children that have been killed by the IRA?
''At the siege of Vienna in 1683 Islam seemed poised to overrun Christian Europe.
We are in a new phase of a very old war.''

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2013, 03:09:41 PM »

Isn't Putin worse than Gorbachev?

That's comparing one evil to another evil.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2013, 03:10:08 PM »

I wasn't really aware of this issue. What did she do to harm the Irish?

Offline Yerusha

• Master JTFer
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2013, 03:23:07 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margaret_thatcher
"Thatcher regarded Finchley's Jewish residents as "her people" and became a founding member of the Anglo-Israel Friendship League of Finchley as well as a member of the Conservative Friends of Israel. She also believed Israel had to trade land for peace, and condemned Israel's 1981 bombing of Osirak as "a grave breach of international law"."

« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 06:40:09 PM by Yerusha »

Online angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2013, 03:34:33 PM »

what did the censored do to the irish? and when did censored do this?
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline Irish Zionist

• Forum Administrator
  • Ultimate JTFer
    • My zootube channel
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2013, 03:49:04 PM »

what did the censored do to the irish? and when did censored do this?
That BEAST who is now thankfully dead with maggots puking on her blood regarded ALL Irish as terrorists, said that Ulster (North of Ireland) will always be British and the Irish are just to accept that. Increased the violence in Ulster and blamed only the Irish.
Rabbi Meir Kahane

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2013, 04:33:03 PM »
That BEAST who is now thankfully dead with maggots puking on her blood regarded ALL Irish as terrorists, said that Ulster (North of Ireland) will always be British and the Irish are just to accept that. Increased the violence in Ulster and blamed only the Irish.

I'm not familiar with this.
What else did she do?
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline Super Mentalita

• Master JTFer
  • Kill 'em all. Let God sort 'em out!
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2013, 05:09:04 PM »
I'm not familiar with this.
What else did she do?

Nothing. It's just hard for a Irishman to face the truth. Ulster is British, not Irish.
''At the siege of Vienna in 1683 Islam seemed poised to overrun Christian Europe.
We are in a new phase of a very old war.''

Offline Irish Zionist

• Forum Administrator
  • Ultimate JTFer
    • My zootube channel
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2013, 05:25:07 PM »
Nothing. It's just hard for a Irishman to face the truth. Ulster is British, not Irish.
It's equally hard for an englishman to face the truth. London is Irish, not british.
Rabbi Meir Kahane

Offline serbian army

• Master JTFer
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2013, 06:04:09 PM »
I remember her as enemy of my people. Aside of that I support Irish people in their struggle for freedom. What was done to them is one of the greatest genocides in history. Englishmen captured them and shipped them to new found lands to be slaves. When that was not enough they forced poor Irish women to have sex with black slaves so that new "breed" could sale for more money.
Serbia will never surrender Kosovo to the breakaway province's ethnic Albanian majority or trade its territory for European Union or NATO membership,

Offline Yerusha

• Master JTFer
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2013, 06:29:13 PM »
1/2 of the UK revered Maggie and 1/2 hated her

But all admired her for the courage of her convictions & her preservation of every inch of UK sovereignty eg to wage war 8000 miles away with the Argie-Bargies over the Falklands.

How unlike most verminous Israeli politicians who are tripping over themselves to give away Eretz Yisrael to the Ishmaelites in exchange for.....nothing!

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2013, 07:24:42 PM »
A first class politician... May she rest in peace!
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2013, 08:17:43 PM »
.... London is Irish, not british.

cad é? cén fáth Breataine?
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline Yerusha

• Master JTFer
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2013, 08:58:51 PM »
"Northern Ireland is part of the United Kingdom as much as my own constituency of Finchley is!" (Margaret Thatcher 1981)

Offline TruthSpreader

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/WeThePeopleZeb
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2013, 09:03:45 PM »

She wasn't "good" but better than most politicians today.
Dan - Stay calm and be brave in order to judge correctly and make the right decision

Offline Yerusha

• Master JTFer
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2013, 09:16:17 PM »
"We will not forgive or forget if anyone (ie Israelis) sells anti-ship missiles (Gabriels) to the Argentinians!" (Thatcher's warning to Begin 1982)

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2013, 09:44:33 PM »
I remember her as enemy of my people. Aside of that I support Irish people in their struggle for freedom. What was done to them is one of the greatest genocides in history. Englishmen captured them and shipped them to new found lands to be slaves. When that was not enough they forced poor Irish women to have sex with black slaves so that new "breed" could sale for more money.

Can you please elaborate and provide links?

Offline Sveta

• Master JTFer
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2013, 09:55:01 PM »
I applauded her triumph over the Argies in their illegitimate claim of the Falklands. She beat them, and they fled back to Argentina with their tails between their legs. Shame that they didn't learn their lesson the first time around.
I agree with her stance against the EU, against Unions that had taken over too much power. And for her privatizing the Industry.
I am not Irish nor Argentinian. Nor Labour nor pro-Union. So I don't hate her, nor do I celebrate her passing.

I may not agree with all  her policy but I do know that she WAS the Iron Lady. How a woman rose through the ranks and the lead powerfully is admirable to me.

I agree as Pyramid said:
She wasn't "good" but better than most politicians today.

(Falklands for ever British!)

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2013, 11:42:10 PM »

My Irish and Scottish friends disliked her as well.  I thought that British conservatives liked her.  Not sure about the other neighboring countries. 

She did have one line that I thought was very true.  It went something like this, 'In my day, people would talk about what they were going to do to make the world a better place, nowadays people talk about what they want to be.'  In other words, the modern era is filled with narcissism and egotism, whereas in days past, people would actually do something to make the world a better place.  It just reminds you of how naturally selfish people are these days.