Poll

Should the forum close for Shabbat and Yom Tov?

Yes.
4 (23.5%)
No.
9 (52.9%)
There should be a filter that can detect what time zone someone is in and close it by time zone.
1 (5.9%)
Option 3, plus allow those in Israel to post on the second day of Yom Tov.
3 (17.6%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Author Topic: Why didn't the forum close for Shavuot?  (Read 2173 times)

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
Why didn't the forum close for Shavuot?
« on: May 17, 2013, 12:33:13 AM »
Why does a religious Jewish forum allow Jews to post on Yom Tov?

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 12:34:53 AM »

Online ChabadKahanist

• Ultimate JTFer
Re: Should the forum close for Shabbat and Yom Tov?
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 12:40:14 AM »
I think the time zone filter is best option as there are those of us in Israel & those that live in Europe that post on the forum when shabbat is over here but while it is still shabbat in NY.

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 12:41:49 AM »
It used to close for Shabbat in NY Time. What happened?

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 01:05:11 AM »
The forum used to close for Shabbats and Yom Tov.... But the non-Jews seemed to have prevailed in getting the admins to leave the forum open...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2013, 02:50:57 AM »
If someone sees a JTF video and thinks "That forum sounds pretty cool, I'm going to go check it out" and then goes to the forum and it's down, then they are likely to just forget about it.

Online Zelhar

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2013, 04:33:18 AM »
no.

Online ChabadKahanist

• Ultimate JTFer
Re: Why didn't the forum close for Shavuot?
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2013, 05:05:12 AM »
Why does a religious Jewish forum allow Jews to post on Yom Tov?
Who is Jewish that posted on Yom Tov?
Also if it was posted on the second day it is NOT Yom Tov here in Israel where we do only one day Yom Tov.

Offline edu

• Master JTFer
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2013, 05:21:13 AM »
Don't forget that there is a ten hour time zone difference between Israel and Los Angeles. So it could turn out that a Jew from Israel is posting on the forum after his Shavuot is over, while it might still be the middle of the Shavuot holiday for the Jew in L.A.

Online Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2013, 06:15:48 AM »
Frum Jews have self restrains and they should regulate their internet use on their own.

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2013, 06:33:57 AM »
The forum used to close for Shabbats and Yom Tov.... But the non-Jews seemed to have prevailed in getting the admins to leave the forum open...

I think most non Jewish members respect the decisions of the admins. You are the only one that tried to prevail.  Stop starting trouble where there is none.
Be very CAREFUL of people whose WORDS don't match their ACTIONS.

Offline City Yossi

• New JTFer
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2013, 06:49:02 AM »
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2013, 08:00:13 AM »

The admins decide. Not the non-Jews or the Jews.

Offline angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2013, 09:37:37 AM »
No. Many are non-jews.
The decision was already made.
It used to be open then closed and back open again.

And how would you stop a Jew from going to other forums or using a computer?
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2013, 10:53:56 AM »
Frum Jews have self restrains and they should regulate their internet use on their own.

If a movement claims to be a religious Jewish movement but has Jews posting on Yom Tov and Shabbat, how is G-d going to let such a movement succeed? It's just like the Israeli Government should not do business on Shabbat because Israel is a Jewish state.

Online Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2013, 11:31:04 AM »

If a movement claims to be a religious Jewish movement but has Jews posting on Yom Tov and Shabbat, how is G-d going to let such a movement succeed? It's just like the Israeli Government should not do business on Shabbat because Israel is a Jewish state.
This is religious demagoguery nothing more. And who are you to lecture on the forums policies ? Just stay out of the forum yourself on shabbat.

Offline Joe Gutfeld

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2013, 12:57:39 PM »
I do remember that when this forum was created in 2007, it was shut down on the sabbath on Friday nights and most of Saturday.  I don't know what happened, but I guess that the policy changed because there are some members here who aren't Jewish and wanted to post something here but couldn't because of the Sabbath and the site was closed because of it. 

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2013, 03:41:12 PM »
Because gentiles use this forum on Jewish holidays.  Therefore this forum is not closed on Jewish festivals and holidays and Shabbat.  Secondly, what stops a Jew from one time zone from posting when their Shabat falls at a different time than when this forum closes?

Therefore, it is in in the initiative of the Jew to practice Judaism and not be forced.  That way he/she uses his/her free will to do the right thing. And when it is done through his free will, the reward is greater.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2013, 03:44:12 PM »
I'm up for anything to be honest.  If it is decided to be closed, fine. If not, fine.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2013, 04:35:56 PM »
You'd better keep an eye on those non-Jews. You never know what we're going to be up to next!

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2013, 04:51:27 PM »
I think people have misinterpreted what I was saying. I don't suggest that non-Jews are obligated to observe the Shabbat. Of course this is not the case, we do not impose our belief on those who are not Jewish. Non Jews have no reason to keep the Sabbath.

But the issue to me, honestly, is that by remaining open we are benefiting from work which is done on the Sabbath. Ask yourself why a Jewish store owner should close his store on the Sabbath. Every religious Jew deals with this problem, that by closing the shop on Sabbath they are losing money they otherwise would make on the day. Those Jews who open their stores on Sabbath are violating the Sabbath and being rewarded for it. The sages explain that any gains made by a Jew (financially or through labor) may only appear to be gains, but in the long run they are punished for their transgressing of the Sabbath.

We should protest people who open their businesses on the Sabbath, we should boycott them and should rebuke them. Some may consider this 'religious coercion' or whatnot. The issue is, to me, an issue of placing a stumbling block before the blind. Maybe a person born Jewish comes across this site and sees that we are claiming to be the followers of the great Rabbi Kahane, who to the best of my knowledge observed the Shabbat according to Orthodox standards, and he also encouraged all Jews to keep the Torah. We Jews who want to continue the legacy of Kahane must also continue the legacy of Shabbat observance otherwise we are not being true to the ideals of our mentor. When others see that we are continuing work on the Sabbath (while most religious Jews here do not use the forum on Sabbath even when it is open) they may be inclined to believe we all desecrate the Sabbath. So too we are sending a message to them that Sabbath observance is not important, and they may be fooled into believing that it is OK to post on the Sabbath as long as it is nationalism and pro-Israel...

I have no problem if others are using the forum on the Sabbath. I am certainly concerned that Jews are using the forum on the Sabbath and we are assisting in leading them astray of the way of the Torah.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2013, 04:59:31 PM »
Some of the point I was trying to make:

http://www.torah.org/features/holydays/centrallight.html
Shabbat is the source of all blessing. The sages teach us that the days of the week are not arranged one after another, but are like the menorah in the Holy Temple. Shabbat is the center of the week, with three days preceding it and three days following it. So, too, the menorah had one central branch, with three branches on the right and three on the left. When it was lit, the three flames on the right and the three on the left leaned toward the central flame. We wonder why the central light was the one that remained lit. What is the significance of the central light, and why do all the lights on the right and the left have to point toward the central light?

The answer to this question lies in understanding the menorah's connection to Shabbat. To us, it seems that when a person closes his business and rests on Shabbat, he's losing money. People in the retail trade say you can make as much as ten times the profit on Saturday as during the rest of the week. The Torah tells us just the opposite. Any success we experience during the six days of the week is part of the blessing that comes down on Shabbat. The one day of the week that seems to be unproductive as far as earning an income is concerned is actually the one day of the week that brings all blessing and bounty into your life. The flow of blessing spills over into the other days of the week and is acquired through hard work. But the source of that blessing is Shabbat, as it says, "And God blessed the seventh day and sanctified it" (Genesis 2:3).

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2013, 06:09:48 PM »
Muman and Benyamin are correct that Jews should not participate on the forum on Yom Tov or Shabbat.  I'm going to make a personal obligation to myself (who isn't shomer anything), not to go on the forum on those days.  At least for the reason to not give a negative appearance for others.

As far as becoming shomer something...that's a work in progress. I know it's the right way, but very difficult thing to do like anything else to a secularized Jew.

Offline Chaim Ben Pesach

• Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2013, 06:23:22 PM »
בס''ד

The forums were closed on Shabbat and on Yom Tov in the past. We would prefer to keep them closed on Shabbat and on Yom Tov but cannot for purely technical reasons. When we kept them closed, there were problems that developed.

There are web sites that close for Shabbat and Yom Tov but they have a bigger budget than we do.

Most religious Jewish sites do not close for Shabbat and Yom Tov because of the same technical issues. Arutz 7, Mechon Meir, Hidrabrot and Yeshivat Beit El are among the biggest religious Hebrew sites - they do not close on Shabbat and Yom Tov.

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2013, 07:03:31 PM »
I think people have misinterpreted what I was saying. I don't suggest that non-Jews are obligated to observe the Shabbat. Of course this is not the case, we do not impose our belief on those who are not Jewish. Non Jews have no reason to keep the Sabbath.

But the issue to me, honestly, is that by remaining open we are benefiting from work which is done on the Sabbath. Ask yourself why a Jewish store owner should close his store on the Sabbath.

Actually, he has to close because he is forbidden to do melacha and forbidden to do commerce.  Technically though if nonjews ran the shop without him isn't he allowed to keep it open?  I know that some kashrut agencies agree that certain kosher restaurants even tho they stay open on shabbat the food can still be kosher at that restaurant when u buy during the week.   Are they violating anything by staying open if they themselves don't operate or show up?  Worth checking into.

More importantly, I don't understand your point.  I don't derive benefit when gentiles post at JTF site during shabbat.  What benefit are you suggesting jewish jtfers receive from gentiles posting during shabbath?

Anyway, have to prepare for shabbat. Have a shabbat shalom.