Author Topic: I think it is fitting to pray for an earthquake in Iran  (Read 2131 times)

Offline edu

• Master JTFer
I think it is fitting to pray for an earthquake in Iran
« on: December 06, 2013, 01:54:43 AM »
In a Hebrew article it was claimed that Rabbi Shlomo Aviner contends
http://www.srugim.co.il/61328-%D7%94%D7%A8%D7%91-%D7%90%D7%91%D7%99%D7%A0%D7%A8-%D7%9C%D7%90-%D7%A9%D7%99%D7%99%D7%9A-%D7%9C%D7%94%D7%AA%D7%A4%D7%9C%D7%9C-%D7%9C%D7%90%D7%A1%D7%95%D7%A0%D7%95%D7%AA-%D7%91%D7%90%D7%99%D7%A8%D7%90
it is not fitting to pray for an earthquake in Iran and Turkey, because also good people will get hurt.
I think that definitely for Iran it is fitting to pray for an earthquake and regarding Turkey, I would like to hold off making a comment until a later time, bli neder.
Iran is the enemy, a great danger to Israel.
In a milchemet mitzva (mitzva war), winning the war takes precedence over saving the good, that are mixed up among the enemy. Since Iran has done enough evil to fall into the category of an enemy that it is fitting to wage a milchemet mitzva against them, I think it also fitting to pray for an earthquake.
And in the Hagada of Pesach, we recite the verses from Tehillim/Psalms "Pour out thy wrath against (lit. unto) the nations..."

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: I think it is fitting to pray for an earthquake in Iran
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 01:58:02 AM »
In a Hebrew article it was claimed that Rabbi Shlomo Aviner contends
http://www.srugim.co.il/61328-%D7%94%D7%A8%D7%91-%D7%90%D7%91%D7%99%D7%A0%D7%A8-%D7%9C%D7%90-%D7%A9%D7%99%D7%99%D7%9A-%D7%9C%D7%94%D7%AA%D7%A4%D7%9C%D7%9C-%D7%9C%D7%90%D7%A1%D7%95%D7%A0%D7%95%D7%AA-%D7%91%D7%90%D7%99%D7%A8%D7%90
it is not fitting to pray for an earthquake in Iran and Turkey, because also good people will get hurt.
I think that definitely for Iran it is fitting to pray for an earthquake and regarding Turkey, I would like to hold off making a comment until a later time, bli neder.
Iran is the enemy, a great danger to Israel.
In a milchemet mitzva (mitzva war), winning the war takes precedence over saving the good, that are mixed up among the enemy. Since Iran has done enough evil to fall into the category of an enemy that it is fitting to wage a milchemet mitzva against them, I think it also fitting to pray for an earthquake.
And in the Hagada of Pesach, we recite the verses from Tehillim/Psalms "Pour out thy wrath against (lit. unto) the nations..."

Why does the 1st sentence say 'it is not fitting to pray' and the second says 'it definately is fitting to pray'?

I agree with the entire message. In general i do not pray for earthquakes to strike the wicked unless these particular wicked are threatening the lives of the Jewish people. In general I think that there is hope that the good people will get the not so good to turn around. But as mentioned, in cases of wars commanded from us, we must win the war without concern for those who may be caught in the heat of the battle.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline edu

• Master JTFer
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 06:35:01 AM »
quote from Muman613
Why does the 1st sentence say 'it is not fitting to pray' and the second says 'it definately is fitting to pray'?

Answer. The first sentence is Rabbi Aviner's opinion, which is the reason I brought this issue up.
The second sentence which states the opposite view is my opinion, which I believe is also the "Kahanist opinion".

Offline edu

• Master JTFer
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2013, 01:49:06 AM »
Regarding praying for an earthquake in Turkey.
There is a difference of opinion among the famous rabbis, is parts of southern Turkey within the borders of halachic Eretz Yisrael (land of Israel) or not.
According to those viewpoints that it is, then Turkey is certainly an enemy, because it occupies parts of Biblical Israel and Turkey refuses to give it back to us (or even it sell it to us).