Author Topic: Verison commerical  (Read 4767 times)

Offline Joe Gutfeld

• Ultimate JTFer
Verison commerical
« on: August 13, 2007, 08:14:57 PM »
There is a new commerical for the phone company Verison.  In the commerical, a white man is trying to hook up is tv to cable and is having a tough time.  A black Verison worker comes in and saves the day.  I wonder what Chaim feels about this.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
Re: Verison commerical
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2007, 08:17:23 PM »
There is a new commerical for the phone company Verison.  In the commerical, a white man is trying to hook up is tv to cable and is having a tough time.  A black Verison worker comes in and saves the day.  I wonder what Chaim feels about this.

joe, i try not to look into these things too deeply anymore.  These people were mostly chosen for their acting skills and less likely by the commercial to make a statement of equality.

Surely, in reality, very FEW black Americans are capable of saving the day like the guy in the commercial...we have all experienced this.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline DownwithIslam

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2007, 10:03:43 PM »
Every time a shvartza "Technician" comes into my home, he breaks everything he touches. Then they have to send a white technician down to fix up the mess the shvartza left.
I am urinating on a Koran.

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2007, 10:21:34 PM »

joe, i try not to look into these things too deeply anymore.  These people were mostly chosen for their acting skills and less likely by the commercial to make a statement of equality.

Surely, in reality, very FEW black Americans are capable of saving the day like the guy in the commercial...we have all experienced this.
I disagree - I think what Joe Gutfield is hinting at by his question is true.
How come it's hardly ever a black customer/black technician?
I noticed that in many "black" based sitcoms.
White people are always portrayed as stupid or evil.
Whatever...but I don't think it happens just by chance.
Be very CAREFUL of people whose WORDS don't match their ACTIONS.

Offline judeanoncapta

• Master JTFer
  • Rebuild it now!!!!
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2007, 10:43:55 PM »
Really, when was the last time you were blown away by the amazing customer service given to you by an Afro-American?
Post questions here for the ASK JUDEA TORAH SHOW

my blog: Yehudi-Nation

Who is truly wise? He who can see the future. I see tommorow today and I want to end it - Rabbi Meir Daweedh Kahana

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2007, 10:48:55 PM »

I disagree - I think what Joe Gutfield is hinting at by his question is true.
How come it's hardly ever a black customer/black technician?
I noticed that in many "black" based sitcoms.
White people are always portrayed as stupid or evil.
Whatever...but I don't think it happens just by chance.

i'm not denying that there are tv shows that make black people the intelligent ones and stuff and the white person the fool...but in this specific case of the Verizon commercial...i'm thinking that's not the case.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2007, 10:54:08 PM »
Really, when was the last time you were blown away by the amazing customer service given to you by an Afro-American?
Verizon is a huge company - I think nothing in their advertising is done by chance.  

newman

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2007, 12:46:54 AM »
Every time a shvartza "Technician" comes into my home, he breaks everything he touches. Then they have to send a white technician down to fix up the mess the shvartza left.
A white South African once said to me.....(heavy SA accent)"Everything in your home has to be the best quality, it's got to be 'kaffir proof'! You put a kaffir in an empty room with two cannon balls..........he'll break one and lose the other".

Offline Mishmaat

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate JTFer
  • !עם ישראל חי
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2007, 02:13:16 AM »
Verizon is my cellphone carrier.

I haven't seen this particular commercial. I have seen the ones for Washington Mutual, which are so Orwellian that they're hilarious. WaMu is actually my bank and I get quality service from them. Funny thing is though that I've never come across those wonderful black tellers in the adverts.

Offline Vito

• Master JTFer
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2007, 03:22:11 AM »
How about the Army commercial where all the technicians are melanzane? In fact, there wasn't a single white soldier in the commercial..

And the Air Force commercial that had a melanzana snowboarder ( ?? ) who was an excellent navigator ( ????? ).. and then the next scene was him flying an F-16 ( ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? )

Ufff.. if I ran this country.......

Offline Ehud

• Master JTFer
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2007, 03:39:33 AM »

Joe, I see examples of this not only on TV, so many times every day that I don't really pay attention to it anymore.  I just accept it (grudgingly) as a part of life now.  It's not a "media conspiracy" to portray blacks in a positive light, it's just a bunch of decisions, made by a bunch of people who want to be politically correct. 

Have you also noticed that the media tries to portray blacks as intelligent and attractive, but most of the time when they do this they use people who are half-black or less?  This is to dupe the American people into thinking that blacks are intelligent and attractive even though the overwhelming majority aren't.  They want to fool people into thinking that the people used are totally black even though anyone with two eyes and a brain capable of firing synapses can tell that they are not fully black.  Pay attention next time you see an attractive "black" woman in an advertisement or otherwise on TV, almost 90% of the time they aren't fully black.

I'm not saying that this is a conspiracy, although it could be, but I think it's more that they try to find attractive blacks to use but can't find any who are fully black so they decide to use the half-black girl and try to pawn her off as being fully "black".
"The Jews will eventually have to face up to what you're dealing with here.  The arabs will never love you for what good you've brought them.  They don't know how to really love.  But hate!  Oh, G-d, can they hate!  And they have a deep, deep, deep resentment because you have jolted them from their delusions of grandeur and shown them for what they are-a decadent, savage people controlled by a religion that has stripped them of all human ambition . . . except for the few cruel enough and arrogant enough to command them as one commands a mob of sheep.  You are dealing with a mad society and you'd better learn how to control it."

-Excerpt from The Haj by Leon Uris

newman

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2007, 04:09:46 AM »
I think it's simply a case of all institutions being absolutely terrified to the piont of near paralysis of being seen as politically incorrect. The fact that showing white technicians in a commercial could lead to shrill, hysterical, unfounded accusations of racism causes many in the corporate world to err on the side of caution. The hysterical, irrational,noisy wheel always gets the grease.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 05:02:22 AM by newman »

Offline Mishmaat

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate JTFer
  • !עם ישראל חי
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2007, 04:24:32 AM »

Joe, I see examples of this not only on TV, so many times every day that I don't really pay attention to it anymore.  I just accept it (grudgingly) as a part of life now.  It's not a "media conspiracy" to portray blacks in a positive light, it's just a bunch of decisions, made by a bunch of people who want to be politically correct. 

Have you also noticed that the media tries to portray blacks as intelligent and attractive, but most of the time when they do this they use people who are half-black or less?  This is to dupe the American people into thinking that blacks are intelligent and attractive even though the overwhelming majority aren't.  They want to fool people into thinking that the people used are totally black even though anyone with two eyes and a brain capable of firing synapses can tell that they are not fully black.  Pay attention next time you see an attractive "black" woman in an advertisement or otherwise on TV, almost 90% of the time they aren't fully black.

I'm not saying that this is a conspiracy, although it could be, but I think it's more that they try to find attractive blacks to use but can't find any who are fully black so they decide to use the half-black girl and try to pawn her off as being fully "black".

Keen observation and virtually entirely true. So much for that "black is beautiful" nonsense.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2007, 04:58:27 AM »
Verizon is a huge company - I think nothing in their advertising is done by chance.  

well, i dont' notice these things nor do i bother looking for it. As long as i know that sometiems i have to deal with an imcompetent fool on the phone thinking, "mmm hmm"

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2007, 06:19:07 AM »
I agree Danny -I try not to read too much into it all but...
I think it is a little of both.
PC.
Fear - of being called racist.
Ze've and Newman are right.
oh...with a little brainwashing thrown in - if we keep getting the message we may start to believe it is so   ;)  mmm hmmm
What's life without a conspiracy theory thrown in for good measure?

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2007, 06:25:30 AM »
I agree Danny -I try not to read too much into it all but...
I think it is a little of both.
PC.
Fear - of being called racist.
Ze've and Newman are right.
oh...with a little brainwashing thrown in - if we keep getting the message we may start to believe it is so   ;)  mmm hmmm
What's life without a conspiracy theory thrown in for good measure?

I agree with you. :)

mmm hmm...

Online cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2007, 07:11:20 AM »

well, i dont' notice these things nor do i bother looking for it. As long as i know that sometiems i have to deal with an imcompetent fool on the phone thinking, "mmm hmm"
I use Verizon and in fact think they do a very good job. I see a Verizon location each day that is a base of operations for its repair and fiber optic crews. I sometimes watch the people driving in and out of that lot and in all honesty 98% of them are white folks. Verizon makes a big deal about their diversity programs however I strongly believe the company is being bolstered by its original older white work force.
In all fairness I am sure that there are black folks in all companies who do a very good job and who are as competent as any white coworker however in Verizons case it very plain the company is trying to send a message in their advertising and mailings.
It never bothered me before to see a black person saving the day in TV shows, movies and even in advertising when it was done at random. Now its an a agenda to get me to think a certain way and thats a problem. I now resent this form of subliminal message thats designed get me to think blacks or any other minority are any smarter then the next guy. The Liberals are doing a great job embedding their message in the very places that will do them the most good TV shows and advertisement. It won't work for a older person like me but when you have children seeing this garbage time after time  it will leave a lasting impression of the black always knowing what to do or being the genius in the bunch. To say it doesn't bother you is really for all accounts tossing in the towel and giving up.
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2007, 09:58:04 AM »

I use Verizon and in fact think they do a very good job. I see a Verizon location each day that is a base of operations for its repair and fiber optic crews. I sometimes watch the people driving in and out of that lot and in all honesty 98% of them are white folks. Verizon makes a big deal about their diversity programs however I strongly believe the company is being bolstered by its original older white work force.
In all fairness I am sure that there are black folks in all companies who do a very good job and who are as competent as any white coworker however in Verizons case it very plain the company is trying to send a message in their advertising and mailings.
It never bothered me before to see a black person saving the day in TV shows, movies and even in advertising when it was done at random. Now its an a agenda to get me to think a certain way and thats a problem. I now resent this form of subliminal message thats designed get me to think blacks or any other minority are any smarter then the next guy. The Liberals are doing a great job embedding their message in the very places that will do them the most good TV shows and advertisement. It won't work for a older person like me but when you have children seeing this garbage time after time  it will leave a lasting impression of the black always knowing what to do or being the genius in the bunch. To say it doesn't bother you is really for all accounts tossing in the towel and giving up.

All due respect, if commercials are being done this way, then in a positive sense, it might allow some people to not pay attention to race, but to incompetence and not use racial qualities for a reason why someone is incomeptent.  The next step is to to focus on cultural incompetence and competence...

Online cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2007, 11:01:23 AM »

All due respect, if commercials are being done this way, then in a positive sense, it might allow some people to not pay attention to race, but to incompetence and not use racial qualities for a reason why someone is incomeptent.  The next step is to to focus on cultural incompetence and competence...
It could only be in a positive sense if blacks portrayed as geniuses and savors of the day could deliver on that portrayal. To put them in that light and then to see that in many cases they fail to deliver and are in some cases incompetent only makes people affirm their original low opinion of blacks and other minority's. Blacks as well as  all other folks should be portrayed in positions of authority equally and at random and not as saviors of the day exclusively.

Offline Joe Gutfeld

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2007, 05:31:13 PM »
These commericals make me sick.  Aren't there any white actors anymore?

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2007, 05:36:52 PM »
In today's world you are not the right color if you are white - especially if you are a white male.

Offline Joe Gutfeld

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2007, 05:38:08 PM »
I couldn't agree with you more bobcat.  "Bobcat" was my nickname in my first year in high school.

Online cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2007, 07:35:14 PM »
I saw a Cablevision one this morning that was sickening. A young white couple was complaining to a black man playing marriage counselor  that they are having problems seeing eye to eye because they can't get together on what TV shows to watch. The black guy works for Cablevision and tells them he can save the day for them with his new DVR by Cablevision. Now they can both see all their favorite shows. Hip hip hooray the black guy saves the day!! Why is it never the other way around I ask you?

Offline Joe Gutfeld

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2007, 07:38:10 PM »
It's just to be a major PC fix by the people who hire the actors who are hired for these commericals.

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2007, 11:20:18 PM »
Mmm-hmm!  ;D :laugh: ;D :laugh: :D ;D :laugh: :) :laugh: