Author Topic: I really need some help Rabbi  (Read 5512 times)

Offline DoubleTap

• New JTFer
  • No muslim invasion - Not On My Watch
I really need some help Rabbi
« on: October 11, 2007, 01:24:20 AM »
I was given up at birth and adopted through a private adoption.  My adopting parents were catholic, as such, I was raised catholic.  I was trimmed at birth.  When I was 30 I found my birth mother and found that she is Jewish, as is her mother, grandmother and great-grandmother.  I have the documentation.  My entire childhood and adult life I felt I was pretending to be a christian.  I do believe Jesus was an historical figure of singular vision for humanity, and perhaps a prophet of importance, but I have always held a firm distrust of the gospels as propaganda.  I believe that I am a good man of faith in G_D, I adhere to the commandments and I pray regularly for guidance.  I found JTF last year and my gravitation toward my heritage has grown expotentially.

All of this came to a head last month when my devoutly christian wife left me over my refusal to continue attending christian church with her and my two teenage daughters.  We are heading for divorce and I have no idea where to find help to guide my actions from hereon as a Jew in good standing under the LAW.

Israel is a true friend of freedom and democracy.  They should be respected as such.

Offline DoubleTap

• New JTFer
Re: I really need some help Rabbi
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2007, 02:53:24 AM »
Thank you Ma'am.  I will try askMoses.  As for local assistance from a Rabbi, I would have already gone that route but I live in a small town in the middle of the Mojave desert and we have none.   Thanks again.
Israel is a true friend of freedom and democracy.  They should be respected as such.

Offline DoubleTap

• New JTFer
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2007, 03:55:04 AM »
This is the answer so far, but there is a promise of further assistance.
"A fairly accurate rule of thumb is that if your question can be answered with one answer, then you haven't asked much of a question. A truly significant question will always provoke numerous, different, and even contrasting answers."

Offline RationalThought110

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2007, 02:02:16 PM »
What is your specific question?  About the divorce? Are you asking if you would need to convert to Judaism? 

Offline Lubab

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Master JTFer
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2007, 02:36:55 PM »
Hi DoubleTap,

A very interesting story, not entirely uncommon. I'd love to help in any way that I can, but I'm also not clear on what exactly is your question.

If you are interested in a Jewish lifestyle you might consider moving to an area with an orthodox synagouge which is open to newcomers like yourself (like a chabad). It will be important to have that kind of live support system on your journey.

Wishing you much Blessings and Success on what is no doubt a great turning-point in your life.

When dealing with such grave issues many have found it helpful to put your thoughts and questions down in a letter and send it to the gravesite of the Lubavitcher Rebbe. You might try this. Instructions are here: http://www.ohelchabad.org/templates/articlecco.htm/aid/78446/jewish/Sending-a-letter.html

May seem kookie but it is a central tenant in Judaism to connect ourselves with and ask guidance of the Righteous leaders of our generation. Many have done this (even after the Rebbe's passing) and received strength and guidance in all kinds of ways.

P.S. That response from Askmoses didn't sound too promising IMO. You might try another scholar.

"It is not upon you to finish the work, nor are you free to desist from it." Rabbi Tarfon, Pirkei Avot.

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2007, 05:09:58 PM »
Hi DoubleTap,

When dealing with such grave issues many have found it helpful to put your thoughts and questions down in a letter and send it to the gravesite of the Lubavitcher Rebbe. You might try this. Instructions are here: http://www.ohelchabad.org/templates/articlecco.htm/aid/78446/jewish/Sending-a-letter.html

What  ??? . You belive in him being the Moshiah? What will writing a letter to a Rabbi who passed away accomplish? please explain.
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

‏119:139 צִמְּתַתְנִי קִנְאָתִי כִּישָׁכְחוּ דְבָרֶיךָ צָרָי
My zeal incenses me, for my adversaries have forgotten Your words.
‏119:141 צָעִיר אָנֹכִי וְנִבְזֶה פִּקֻּדֶיךָ, לֹא שָׁכָחְתִּי.
 I am young and despised; I have not forgotten Your precepts.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Please visit: (The Greatest lectures on Earth).
http://torahanytime.com/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Yossi_Mizrachi/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Zecharia_Wallerstein/

Offline MassuhDGoodName

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2007, 06:06:53 PM »
Re:  "...What will writing a letter to a Rabbi who passed away accomplish? please explain..."

Just because he's passed away doesn't mean that he's stopped reading all of this mail!

Offline Ehud

• Master JTFer
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2007, 07:09:25 PM »
I'm sure you need lots of help and you probably have endless questions to ask that need to be answered.  First of all, I would like to commend you in your recognition of your belonging among the Jewish people.  Too many people have Jewish mothers but wander off, become atheists, Christians (even some on this forum), or G-d knows what else.  You are obviously a man with tremendous character, to the point of even risking your marriage for the truth of who you really are.  That is very respectable, the fact that you want to recognize yourself as Jewish against adversity (losing your wife, living in an area without any Jews, changing your identity) is frankly one of the most amazing stories of a Jewish person I have heard in my entire life.  Something tells me that you have a reason to remain Jewish, just in the way you found your mother, and the signs of you not tolerating Catholicism when you rejected Jesus' teachings, it was meant to be.  If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask, there are many people here who would love to help you in your quest to recover your true identity. 
"The Jews will eventually have to face up to what you're dealing with here.  The arabs will never love you for what good you've brought them.  They don't know how to really love.  But hate!  Oh, G-d, can they hate!  And they have a deep, deep, deep resentment because you have jolted them from their delusions of grandeur and shown them for what they are-a decadent, savage people controlled by a religion that has stripped them of all human ambition . . . except for the few cruel enough and arrogant enough to command them as one commands a mob of sheep.  You are dealing with a mad society and you'd better learn how to control it."

-Excerpt from The Haj by Leon Uris

Offline jdl4ever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2007, 07:22:29 PM »
What  ??? . You belive in him being the Moshiah? What will writing a letter to a Rabbi who passed away accomplish? please explain.
I don't understand this either.  It's a Lubovitcher thing and if it works for them, then great. (Cain, heim maminim she'who moshiach). 
"Enough weeping and wailing; and the following of leaders & rabbis who are pygmies of little faith & less understanding."
"I believe very much in a nation beating their swords into plowshears but when my enemy has a sword I don't want a plowshear"
-Rabbi Meir Kahane Zs'l HYD

Offline MarZutra

• Ultimate JTFer
    • BLOODBATH OF THE LEFT
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2007, 07:57:41 PM »
I was given up at birth and adopted through a private adoption.  My adopting parents were catholic, as such, I was raised catholic.  I was trimmed at birth.  When I was 30 I found my birth mother and found that she is Jewish, as is her mother, grandmother and great-grandmother.  I have the documentation.  My entire childhood and adult life I felt I was pretending to be a christian.  I do believe Jesus was an historical figure of singular vision for humanity, and perhaps a prophet of importance, but I have always held a firm distrust of the gospels as propaganda.  I believe that I am a good man of faith in G_D, I adhere to the commandments and I pray regularly for guidance.  I found JTF last year and my gravitation toward my heritage has grown expotentially.

All of this came to a head last month when my devoutly christian wife left me over my refusal to continue attending christian church with her and my two teenage daughters.  We are heading for divorce and I have no idea where to find help to guide my actions from hereon as a Jew in good standing under the LAW.
Brother, I have a friend, also a JTF member of the forum whose family is in the conversion process due to similar circumstances as you are/have been going through.

I strongly suggest taking a trip to your nearest Othodox Synagogue.  Ask Moses is good but it is not personable.  It is much better as a resource site towards Jewish studies and not specifically what you are going through.  I feel, for you to make an informed decision you might truly consider researching where there is an Othodox Synagogue near you and call the Rabbi and set up a few hour visit.  You will have many questions, many uncertainties and too many clearifications within your own mind that need attention and settling.

Mazzel tov to you....  I think once your knowledge of Jewish history and Judaism grows you will be able to entertain both logic and theological discussions with your family.  They will have questions and you will have answers that are very logical.... 
"‘Vehorashtem/Numbers 33:53’: When you burn out the Land’s inhabitants, you will merit to bestow upon your children the Land as an inheritance. If you do not burn them out, then even if you conquer the Land, you will not merit to allot it to your children as an inheritance." - Ovadiah ben Yacov Sforno; Italian Rabbi, Biblical Commentator, Philosopher and Physician.  1475-1550.

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2007, 08:31:59 PM »
(Cain, heim maminim she'who moshiach). 

PM me for what that means.
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

‏119:139 צִמְּתַתְנִי קִנְאָתִי כִּישָׁכְחוּ דְבָרֶיךָ צָרָי
My zeal incenses me, for my adversaries have forgotten Your words.
‏119:141 צָעִיר אָנֹכִי וְנִבְזֶה פִּקֻּדֶיךָ, לֹא שָׁכָחְתִּי.
 I am young and despised; I have not forgotten Your precepts.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Please visit: (The Greatest lectures on Earth).
http://torahanytime.com/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Yossi_Mizrachi/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Zecharia_Wallerstein/

Offline DoubleTap

• New JTFer
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2007, 01:44:13 AM »

Many thanks to all who have replied here, sent personal messages and emailed me about this.  I guess I didn't ask a specific enough question because I really didn't really know what to ask.  What I should have said is that I wanted help understanding the Law relating to divorce from a non-Jew and how that any actions that I take might adversely effect my intended transition into the ethnic and religious community which I believe to be my birthright.

Over the past 8 months I have successfully transitioned my BBQ catering business into a Kosher/ Halal BBQ catering business.  Who knew there was so much call in Southern California for Kosher catering???  Much of that success I attribute to the excellent advice I have received through JTF members and their contacts in the Southern California Jewish community.

Naturally when my current situation reared it's ugly head I came here first for advice.  Thanks to the direction and support I received here I have an appointment tomorrow to meet with a Rabbi and try and figure out what I should and shouldn't do in my divorce and custody issues ,and how they relate to my intended religious education and conversion.

Thanks again.

Offline Wayne Jude

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2007, 04:58:40 PM »
ASKMoses is a great site .I Think you will find  it helpful.

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2007, 02:58:04 AM »
I am so very sorry to read of your story, Double. Your "wife" proved what a piece of Amalek she is. The Christian Bible specifically says that divorce is never justifiable except for infidelity.

Offline Ehud

• Master JTFer
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2007, 10:11:46 PM »
What an amazing story!! I hope you mesh well with Rabbi Harlig!

Rabbi HARLIG???  :o From California?

Yes, Chabad of the Inland Empire. Don't tell me! Is he your Rav? Maybe you'll see DoubleTap there from time to time!
What a small world!!!!

I used to live right next to that Chabad.  I didn't know about it at the time though. 

I'm very impressed that you were able to transform your BBQ catering service into a Kosher/Halal catering service. I'm amazed at your dedication and willingness to try something that has the potential to be risky. 

I hope your meetings with the Rabbi go well and you are able to make the best decisions for you and your family. 

Keep us updated, DoubleTap!
"The Jews will eventually have to face up to what you're dealing with here.  The arabs will never love you for what good you've brought them.  They don't know how to really love.  But hate!  Oh, G-d, can they hate!  And they have a deep, deep, deep resentment because you have jolted them from their delusions of grandeur and shown them for what they are-a decadent, savage people controlled by a religion that has stripped them of all human ambition . . . except for the few cruel enough and arrogant enough to command them as one commands a mob of sheep.  You are dealing with a mad society and you'd better learn how to control it."

-Excerpt from The Haj by Leon Uris

Offline Wayne Jude

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2007, 10:15:50 PM »
Have to agree with Cf.There is one reason OK for divorce.Infidelity ,and that is the same for Christians and Jews alike!

Offline jdl4ever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2007, 10:28:44 PM »
Not in Judaism.  In Judaism you can divorce your wife/husband whenever you wish.  You don't even need a reason.
"Enough weeping and wailing; and the following of leaders & rabbis who are pygmies of little faith & less understanding."
"I believe very much in a nation beating their swords into plowshears but when my enemy has a sword I don't want a plowshear"
-Rabbi Meir Kahane Zs'l HYD

Offline Wayne Jude

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2007, 10:36:14 PM »
Well, if that is true than I envy you all.LOL ;) :)

Offline Dominater96

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2007, 12:50:18 AM »
Not in Judaism.  In Judaism you can divorce your wife/husband whenever you wish.  You don't even need a reason.
A women cant divorce her husbande whenever she wants. If the husband doesnt want to give her the get then he doesnt have to.

newman

« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2007, 12:56:15 AM »
A women cant divorce her husbande whenever she wants. If the husband doesnt want to give her the get then he doesnt have to.

According to Rabbi Blech (orthodox), a Jewish woman can divorse her husband for not making love to her enough!