Author Topic: Why are Some People So Vain?  (Read 1770 times)

Offline Ari

• Master JTFer
Why are Some People So Vain?
« on: October 22, 2007, 08:02:50 PM »
Not to say that I have always been completely innocent of this, but I was wondering what fellow forum members thought about the subject.  Of particular interest, what do you guys think about society's constant quest to stay young or mold the perfect body rather than be happy with what G-d has given to him or her?  Why have wrinkle creams and supplements become so popular?  What's with the explosion of plastic surgery, including any number of seemingly ridiculous procedures (breast augmentation, etc.).  Life's so short anyway, and no matter how great you think you may look, you lose it in an instant regardless.  I think you should learn to be happy with who you are.  That said, I'm gorgeous (lol).

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
Re: Why are Some People So Vain?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007, 08:10:13 PM »
Not to say that I have always been completely innocent of this, but I was wondering what fellow forum members thought about the subject.  Of particular interest, what do you guys think about society's constant quest to stay young or mold the perfect body rather than be happy with what G-d has given to him or her?  Why have wrinkle creams and supplements become so popular?  What's with the explosion of plastic surgery, including any number of seemingly ridiculous procedures (breast augmentation, etc.).  Life's so short anyway, and no matter how great you think you may look, you lose it in an instant regardless.  I think you should learn to be happy with who you are.  That said, I'm gorgeous (lol).

i come under the school of "everything in moderation"

I think all people need to accept what you mentioned...Gd gave that person everything He felt was needed..and growing old is inevitable.

I can understand in extreme examples why someone who was ugly needed some adjustment to be more attractive and get married.

i can understand if smoeone young got grey hair too quickly wanted to dye it.

I can understand botox..or someone who needed dental implants to have a nicer smile.especially a tv personality..

However, I cannot understand someone who goes too far to avoid growing old gracefully...that just looks more disgusting...
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Kiwi

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2007, 08:24:35 PM »
Its apart of who we are its all about survival and breeding. We are no different than any other living creature.

We do it to attract a mate. With out a natural drive to do so, otherwise we would not have a growing population.

Look at the beauty of a male peacock all are pretty but it is the one with the biggest tail and most brightly coloured that attracts the Peahen.

Nature allowed a few genetic markers to be shown, that identifies they best and strongest genes.

We are all attracted to others because of this genetic marking. Such as strong features, health looking body.

So the faulted ones such as myself need to prime myself to attract the best mate we can.

Everyone does it, that why we shower, wear clean clothes, and look presentable to society. We afterall are an  animal species.

Offline Wayne Jude

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2007, 08:32:13 PM »
Im not vain just aging very well.!LOL ::)

Offline Ari

• Master JTFer
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2007, 09:40:05 PM »
In a related note, I remember reading that breast implants have become one of the most popular high school/college graduation gifts.  I think this is taking things a little bit too far.  Aren't we supposed to be the smartest species?  You'll never find animal graves full of a couple of silicon bags after they are dead and gone. :::D

Kiwi

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2007, 12:12:06 AM »
Being smart and attracting a mate rarely goes together  :::D

Are you animal, vegetable or mineral  ^-^

Offline Wayne Jude

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2007, 12:57:16 AM »
All of the above and proud of it.LOL!

Kiwi