Author Topic: "Less Homework, More Yoga"  (Read 2061 times)

Offline OdKahaneChai

• Master JTFer
Re: "Less Homework, More Yoga"
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007, 05:14:54 PM »
I saw this - it's disgusting...

One does not deal with terrorists; one does not bargain with terrorists; one kills terrorists.
- Rabbi Meir Kahane ZT"L, HY"D

Offline Trumpeldor

• Master JTFer
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2007, 05:43:59 PM »

I disagree. High schoolers are overworked. Between extra-curriculars, family life, homework, and social life, high schoolers often have to make sacrifices of one over the other and these are not sacrifices that teen-agers are well-equipped to make and that is why so many of them are so miserable.

I don't think the yoga should be required as it currently is but there needs to be some relief for students. High school is relatively fresh in my memory and I wouldn't have minded not having homework over holidays.

In fact, homework for high school and middle-school should be abolished completely. This might seem like an immature statement to make but having school monday through friday for at least 6 hours per day is enough to make one's brain explode.

At least in college one can schedule friday off and get work done before the weekend if one chooses to.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 05:47:25 PM by Trumpeldor »

Offline OdKahaneChai

• Master JTFer
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2007, 06:11:28 PM »

I disagree. High schoolers are overworked. Between extra-curriculars, family life, homework, and social life, high schoolers often have to make sacrifices of one over the other and these are not sacrifices that teen-agers are well-equipped to make and that is why so many of them are so miserable.

I don't think the yoga should be required as it currently is but there needs to be some relief for students. High school is relatively fresh in my memory and I wouldn't have minded not having homework over holidays.

In fact, homework for high school and middle-school should be abolished completely. This might seem like an immature statement to make but having school monday through friday for at least 6 hours per day is enough to make one's brain explode.

At least in college one can schedule friday off and get work done before the weekend if one chooses to.
Yoga is Avodah Zara.

One does not deal with terrorists; one does not bargain with terrorists; one kills terrorists.

Offline Mstislav

• Master JTFer
  • islam must be eradicated & all muslims wiped out
    • The American Infidels
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2007, 06:39:50 PM »
Homework is important to help the students retain what they were taught in class. Too much of it is a bad thing.
The satanic barbaric deathcult of islam spread like a cancer throughout the world, killing and destroying everything it touches. muslims are like the hiv/aids virus, subverting the societies of non muslim lands only to allow the cancer of islam to consume and destroy. muslim, I curse and hate you, your 'prophet', 'g o d' and deathcult.   

Because the West needs to be won again and the stakes couldn't be higher . . .

Offline Trumpeldor

• Master JTFer
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2007, 09:12:36 PM »
Homework is important to help the students retain what they were taught in class. Too much of it is a bad thing.

Studying for tests help me retain what was taught in class. I still believe in those.

Offline Trumpeldor

• Master JTFer
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2007, 09:13:42 PM »

Yoga is Avodah Zara.

Breathing exercises and stretching is avodah zara? Just because it is from someone else's culture doesn't make it idolatry.

Offline Eliezer Ben Avraham

• Master JTFer
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2007, 09:15:44 PM »

Studying for tests help me retain what was taught in class. I still believe in those.
Honestly I find that doing the HW is my form of studying
KAHANE TZADAK!

Offline RationalThought110

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2007, 09:18:25 PM »
You read some NYTimes articles just to see what liberals are writing about?

Joe Schmo

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2007, 09:21:02 PM »

Yoga is Avodah Zara.

Breathing exercises and stretching is avodah zara? Just because it is from someone else's culture doesn't make it idolatry.

I agree.  

I doubt that OdKahaneChai knows a great deal about Yoga.

Yoga is profound insight regarding the internal workings of the body.

For someone that understands yoga/internal martial arts, it becomes like an 'ace in the whole', something that permeates one's life, making it better in profound ways.  Yoga corrects health problems, mental focus problems and makes people feel better.  But good teachers aren't easy to find.

Offline RationalThought110

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2007, 09:21:57 PM »
"I don't think the yoga should be required as it currently is but there needs to be some relief for students. High school is relatively fresh in my memory and I wouldn't have minded not having homework over holidays.

In fact, homework for high school and middle-school should be abolished completely. This might seem like an immature statement to make but having school monday through friday for at least 6 hours per day is enough to make one's brain explode."

Good point.  

When some Jews attend a private school that provides a part Jewish education, some of the schools meet on Sundays.  How do they find time to do homework if they have school everyday except for Shabbat and they're not going to do any school work on Shabbat?

Offline Ari

• Master JTFer
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2007, 10:29:13 PM »
I used to be into Yoga at the gym for a while, but I kind of lost interest and just stick with the weights and cardio.

Offline Bodhi

• Full JTFer
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2007, 07:11:36 PM »
 High school students should get medical marijuana...........it works much faster than yoga  :::D

Offline Eliezer Ben Avraham

• Master JTFer
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2007, 07:30:15 PM »
Yoga instead of homework, huh.  I guess in today's world of leftist hippie universities, it's not your academic knowledge that prepares you adequately for college.  It's your ability to masturbate with your feet.
lol
KAHANE TZADAK!

Offline Trumpeldor

• Master JTFer
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2007, 11:28:13 PM »
You read some NYTimes articles just to see what liberals are writing about?

I read it just for the articles.

Offline OdKahaneChai

• Master JTFer
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2007, 04:07:48 PM »
You can ask any Rabbi - Yoga is rooted in Hindu Avodah Zara. I didn't say it wasn't physically beneficial...

There's a guy currently developing "Kosher" Yoga poses, but it's far from complete.