Author Topic: Wealth, power and prestige  (Read 1346 times)

Offline RationalThought110

• Ultimate JTFer
Wealth, power and prestige
« on: October 31, 2007, 09:31:03 PM »
In what way do wealth, power and prestige determine a person’s place in the American stratification (structural ranking of people into different groups) scheme? Is any one of these variables more important than the others, or must they be considered in concert with one another? Why?

Don't people who have a high-level of all three first have at least one of them?  For example, Paris Hilton inherited wealth and the media gives her prestige.  From those aspects, she was able to get a very short stay in prison.  So I'm not so sure if any of the three variables are more important than the other. 

Offline Trumpeldor

• Master JTFer
Re: Wealth, power and prestige
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007, 09:38:45 PM »
I'm not sure Paris Hilton is a great example. The fact that she served 3 weeks in jail for violating her probation was surprising enough to conclude that even celebrities aren't above the law.

Offline Eliezer Ben Avraham

• Master JTFer
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2007, 09:43:30 PM »
I think the issue is that power comes directly from wealth and often times the wealthy aren't intelligent, Paris Hilton for example  ;D
KAHANE TZADAK!

Offline Trumpeldor

• Master JTFer
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2007, 09:44:55 PM »
I think the issue is that power comes directly from wealth and often times the wealthy aren't intelligent, Paris Hilton for example  ;D

I think she's intelligent. She is a marketing genius. Millions of girls in this country strive to be just like her.

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2007, 09:45:00 PM »
I think that all three tend to be coorelated.  However, wealth doesn't always guarantee power/influence.  People who get classified as "celebrities" endorse political candidates but their endorsements don't have too much of an impact.  Oprah Winfrey went all out in endorsing a candidate in a primary for the first time (the fellow member of the Black Church that she belongs to) so it will be interesting to see if that has any impact.    Oprah endorses books and other stuff through her show and people (authors of books or whatever else) often receive a lot of publicity from that.  

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2007, 09:45:36 PM »
You could forget about Paris Hilton.  I just mentioned her as a random example. 

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2007, 09:47:56 PM »

What does intelligence have to do with it?

Offline Ari

• Master JTFer
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2007, 10:28:00 PM »
Obviously, wealth, power, and prestige are the driving forces behind what most people live life for, a sad commentary indeed, but very true.  People sometimes forget how fleeting life is, and even the most wealthy and powerful can't take it with them.  I think about this every time I see some 80 year old trying to influence a corporate buyout with their dying breaths.  What is the point, I wonder?

Offline Eliezer Ben Avraham

• Master JTFer
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2007, 11:35:47 PM »

What does intelligence have to do with it?
ideally we want intelligent people to have power because then they will make intelligent decisions
KAHANE TZADAK!