Author Topic: Lot and his daughters  (Read 877 times)

Offline christians4jews

• Master JTFer
Lot and his daughters
« on: November 01, 2007, 09:45:43 PM »
Hi jtfers. Can someone explain the story of lot , his wife and his daughters... in the torah/tonak please...

Obviously god ddi not command this of us, so what is the hidden message behind this story..

Much appreciated for the answers...

Offline Wayne Jude

• Ultimate JTFer
Re: Lot and his daughters
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 10:06:16 PM »
What do you think? :)
wayne jude

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007, 10:49:03 PM »
one of my favorite stories actually...basically, Lot was the most decent person in Sodom and Gemorah..and when you parallel him to Abraham..Abraham was the most decent person on his part of the world.  However, Abraham's decency and morality was much much higher relatively to Lot.

If you read the story in the beginning, Abraham greets his guests in a much more honorable way compared to Lot.  He picks the best meat and cakes for his guests, while Lot prepares unlevened bread.

When the Sodomites threaten to knock down Lot's door to rape the angels, Lot offers up his daughters instead of the guest.  That's a horrible thing to do to offer either!  It might show that Lot was affected by his society.

Lot's wife looks back when the city is being destroyed.  This might be figurative to her not wanting to let go of that old society..and therefore she was nothing more than a pillar of salt.

When Lot goes to caves to hide, his daughters are kind of pissed that they have no one and so they make their father drunk and end up comitting incest with him so that they may have offspring. The offspring of Lot became the Moabites...the Moabites were enemies wtih the Israelites.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline jdl4ever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2007, 11:12:27 PM »
Dannycookie sums it up well.  The main lesson of the story of Lot is to not live together with evil people, because they make you like them.  Lot's daughters really thought that they were the last ones alive on Earth  and the entire world was destroyed so their intentions were for the sake of heaven, but they were wrong.
"Enough weeping and wailing; and the following of leaders & rabbis who are pygmies of little faith & less understanding."
"I believe very much in a nation beating their swords into plowshears but when my enemy has a sword I don't want a plowshear"
-Rabbi Meir Kahane Zs'l HYD