Poll

How do you feel about slaughtering animals for food?

It's morally wrong
1 (10%)
It's not morally wrong if done properly
9 (90%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Slaughtering animals  (Read 1348 times)

Offline Ralph1

• Full JTFer
Slaughtering animals
« on: November 09, 2007, 02:06:02 AM »
I oppose slaughtering animals and am a vegetarian.

newman

Re: Slaughtering animals
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007, 02:16:22 AM »
All animals are not the same.

In Torah/ Talmud it explains that domestic livestock (such as sheep and cattle) can be slaughtered calmly and humanely without high levels of panic and terror. This is the reason such animals are kosher (nothing to do with cleanliness).

Other animals like dogs, cats, apes, camels, horses and whales have an accute sense of death and they suffer great trauma, terror and anguish no matter how you try to slaughter them. This is why those animals are un-kosher.

Although gentiles are not required to keep kosher, I believe that the kosher guidelines are worth following for ethical reasons.

Scientists have tought American Sign Language to Gorillas and found that they are capable of conversing with us like 6 year old human children. Whales have a sonar vocabulary as comprehensive as our own and have very close familial relationships and bonds. How can we eat such creatures in good conscience?

Sheep & cattle? No problem. All others.....NO!

« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 02:18:03 AM by newman »

Offline Ralph1

• Full JTFer
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2007, 02:27:03 AM »
Today animals can be slaughtered by electrocution. I don't see how beheading a cow with it's thick neck is more humane than modern methods available. Kosher was among the more humane ways of slaughtering animals but not anymore. I once went to a third world country and saw a cow being beheaded and was a very ugly seen. You can go to youtube and watch kosher slaughters and you'll know what I'm talking about.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 02:44:37 AM by Ralph »

newman

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2007, 02:40:42 AM »
Today animals can be slaughtered by electrocution. I don't see how beheading a cow with it's thick neck is more humane than modern methods available. Kosher was the among the more humane ways of slaughtering animals but not anymore. I once went to a third world country and saw a cow being beheaded and was a very ugly seen. You can go to youtube and watch kosher slaughters and you'll know what I'm talking about.

Beheading is NOT the kosher method of slaughter!

They cut the corotid artery with a razor sharp knife. Consciousness is lost instantly and death occurs seconds later. It is virtually painless. Beheading is for chickens and is equally painless.

Offline Ralph1

• Full JTFer
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2007, 02:56:28 AM »
Even though I'm agnostic my mother is Jewish and I myself am pro-Jewish. This website is not political http://www.chooseveg.com/animal-cruelty.asp. The worse way to slaughter an animal is the savage way the Muslims do it. Second is kosher and least is modern methods. I think some European nations have banned kosher and Halal slaughters. All methods have the risk of complications which can cause torture. Plus the conditions in the farms are bad as well. Veal can be kosher and that is the most cruel meat available. That's why I'm vegetarian.

Offline Ari

• Master JTFer
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2007, 07:11:01 PM »
Slaughtering for what purpose?  For fun, obviously wrong.  If done properly (kosher laws) for food, I don't have much of a problem if the animal doesn't suffer.

Offline Ulli

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2007, 07:33:52 PM »
I have butchered chickens, rabbits and different species of fishes. People have butchered animals since Adam and Eve. I gnaw not at my conscience because of butchering.

But if somebody don't wan't to butcher and eat meat, I accept his decision.

Under the week I am eating rarly meat, because

I. pasta with vegetable-sauce etc. is very fast cooked

II. You can save a lot of money and then you can eat on Sunday [I am a Christian] with your friends a duck, a goose or a few fat chickens with herbs in a big stewpot :P
"Cities run by progressives don't know how to police. ... Thirty cities went up last night, I went and looked at every one of them. Every one of them has a progressive Democratic mayor." Rudolph Giuliani