Author Topic: My Diet, End of Week One  (Read 1192 times)

Offline WestCoastJTF

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Senior JTFer
My Diet, End of Week One
« on: November 16, 2007, 10:17:27 AM »
Start: 250.6
End of Week One: 243.0
Net Loss So Far: -7.6 lbs
Exercise This Week: 4 days, 45 mins cardio each

The first week is always the biggest ;-)  My plan is to lose about 2 lbs a week over the long haul, but the first couple of weeks you usually lose more because you're carrying a lot of water.

I'm using the Weight Watchers "Flex" system.  You get so many points a day, plus a bonus set of points for the week.  It's really just counting calories, but it's a bit harsher than MyFoodDiary.com - for example, if you exercise, you have to "eat back the calories" on the same day, not save them up over the week.  Also, fat (bad) and fiber (good) are factored in...I'm not entirely sold on the science of that since it's really just fuel in minus fuel burned, but I'm sticking to their plan.

I actually went 10 points over on the last day...but I'm happy with my first week's progress. 

Only bad news is...I'm on traveling today through Sunday and that will involve a lot of eating out :-(

Offline Yisrael

• Master JTFer
  • Oy!
Re: My Diet, End of Week One
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2007, 10:08:39 PM »
Good luck and keep up the good work!

"Secular Zionism is racism. Religious Zionism is Judaism."
No one who votes for Obama cares that he is a crack addict or a fag. That's the scariest thing about him. --- Bonecrkr

"When I take action, I’m not going to fire a $2 million missile at a $10 empty tent and hit a camel in the butt. It’s going to be decisive."
- George W. Bush, 43rd President of the United States of America

Offline RationalThought110

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2007, 12:46:16 AM »
"It's really just counting calories, but it's a bit harsher than MyFoodDiary.com - for example, if you exercise, you have to "eat back the calories" on the same day, not save them up over the week. "

Is this for Weight Watchers or MyFoodDiary.com?

If you're trying to lose weight, then why would it be beneficial for you to "eat back (any of) the calories" that you lose from exercising?

Offline JTFFan

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2007, 05:54:03 AM »
Good luck O0

Offline SerbChicago

• Master JTFer
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2007, 02:14:01 PM »
try sushi diet it my help
The truth,justice and Serbian way

Offline SerbChicago

• Master JTFer
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2007, 02:14:30 PM »
and organic food
The truth,justice and Serbian way

Offline Ari

• Master JTFer
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2007, 07:49:47 PM »
Good luck, good first week.

Offline WestCoastJTF

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Senior JTFer
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2007, 12:15:34 AM »
"It's really just counting calories, but it's a bit harsher than MyFoodDiary.com - for example, if you exercise, you have to "eat back the calories" on the same day, not save them up over the week. "

Is this for Weight Watchers or MyFoodDiary.com?

If you're trying to lose weight, then why would it be beneficial for you to "eat back (any of) the calories" that you lose from exercising?

MyFoodDiary is straight calorie-counting.  Weight Watchers uses "points," which are computed based mainly on calories but also factor in fat and fiber.

When I say "eat back calories"...it's already a reduced-calories diet, so you don't want to go crazy the other way.  If you're already eating below maintenance and then you exercise, it's better to eat some of the calories back instead of being in a huge deficit.  The key to long-term weight loss is a moderate deficit over time, not a crash diet.  Or so I've read.

My goal is to lose 2 lbs a week.

Well, just got back from Seattle.  Did OK on the diet...ate a lot of fish.  The fish market there is huge!  Had a weak moment at the Russian bakery, though...but we did do a bit of swimming and cardio.  Oh, well, I'm having a tooth pulled two days before Thanksgiving so at least I won't overeat then ;-)

Offline Iron Greek

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2007, 06:48:22 PM »
WestCoast i am happy for you