Author Topic: SOLVING THE WORLDS ENERGY CRISIS. (an article I wrote)  (Read 1197 times)

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
SOLVING THE WORLDS ENERGY CRISIS. (an article I wrote)
« on: November 16, 2007, 02:40:59 PM »
                            SOLVING THE WORLDS ENERGY CRISIS.

Solving the worlds energy crisis is urgent. As most of us know, the world is currently dependent upon oil as the main means of energy. Oil is largely responsible for the heavy involvement of the U.S. and others in the Middle East, the surge in prices for almost everything in the world economy, and a big sponsor of terrorism.

Breaking free from the reliance of oil would weaken the influence of hostile nations like Iran because much of their power and resources for building nuclear weapons stem from their petrodollars. If we had eliminated the need and reliance of oil, Iran and other hostile oil producing nations would never have had the resources (cash) necessary for building their goals of weapons. Loosing out in oil dollars would make them too poor and not have enough money to invest in research and development and to acquire nuclear material from other countries like Russia. Even in the situation where hostile Middle Eastern countries would have access to wealth without oil revenue (and thus be able to develop hazardous weapons), countries like the U.S. would be able to threaten them with a strike if they continue developing such material, while eliminating a shortage of oil as a possible consequence of such action. For example today Iran is building nuclear weapons, something that can and will pose a threat to world security. In the case of an American strike against its facilities, oil prices all over the world will greatly rise , possibly even creating a shortage and an oil crisis (like the oil crisis that took place in 1973). But by eliminating the dependence of oil, the United States and other nations (who are dependent on foreign oil) would take away the potential from OPEC and others from directing their foreign policy.

As we have all witnessed, higher prices of oil have many negative economic impacts. For example many Americans are spending a higher percentage of their income on transportation, thus having less cash available for other spending. Businesses also are forced to raise prices on almost everything since the cost of shipping is rising, and goods need to be transported from one location to another threw trucks (which use oil). Besides transportation, homes are also deeply affected from an oligarchic monopoly of oil. Especially during the winter, when temperatures plummet, oil is used as a necessity for heating purposes.

In order to America and other nations from a potential oil crisis, and from rising energy costs, there are a number of things the government and private enterprise should do. In the short-run I believe that America should drill in Alaska and other such places which might create some competition in the world economy for oil. The United States government should also encourage the development of alternative energy sources by offering large tax credits to companies who involve themselves in the business of  altering their energy sources. Because of the heavy political pressuring and involvement of politicians (from both parties) in the investment of foreign oil, the American citizens should raise the issue of energy and should put pressure on the politicians to act on this issue or not get elected (or reelected)

Reaching energy independence is possible. For example, Brazil today is totally energy independent because of its smart decisions.  Brazil requires its vehicles to run on Flex Fuel, which means that vehicles can run on gasoline as well as alcohol. Brazil also developed ethanol from sugar cane. And Brazil requires its gas stations to sell ethanol in addition to gasoline. Since the Brazilian model works and is affective, other nations can and should adapt such a policy.

Besides the Brazilian method, there are many other energy sources available. For example developing and using solar energy can be very efficient. As apposed to oil, solar energy cant run out any time soon and is equally available for all. Solar energy is always available for use and is environment friendly. A country or a group of countries wouldn't be able to dictate or influence others threatening to cut energy supply because the sun (thus solar energy) is available for all. In addition to solar energy there are many other possible options available of which the researchers and developers should take into consideration.

With the growing economies of China and India, its foreseen that they will need a lot of energy for their growing industrializing economies. If the world stays with its status quo, this alone will drive oil prices much higher because their will be an even higher demand for energy consumption. If instead a very highly developed nation, like the United States takes the initiative by developing and encourages the development of alternative energy then not only will it save billions annually, but will actually make big profits by becoming an exporter of energy use (and the technology needed for it). Besides the cheapening of oil prices, their might be a possibility of boosting the badly shaped American economy.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2007, 10:14:50 AM by RationalThought110 »
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

‏119:139 צִמְּתַתְנִי קִנְאָתִי כִּישָׁכְחוּ דְבָרֶיךָ צָרָי
My zeal incenses me, for my adversaries have forgotten Your words.
‏119:141 צָעִיר אָנֹכִי וְנִבְזֶה פִּקֻּדֶיךָ, לֹא שָׁכָחְתִּי.
 I am young and despised; I have not forgotten Your precepts.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Please visit: (The Greatest lectures on Earth).
http://torahanytime.com/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Yossi_Mizrachi/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Zecharia_Wallerstein/

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
Re: SOLVING THE WORLDS ENERGY CRISIS. (an article I wrote)
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2007, 06:51:52 PM »
well written. yashekoach
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2007, 10:34:23 PM »
well written. yashekoach

Thanks, I got a lot of the ideas from this forum, I had to quickly write something for class, so I wrote this essay.
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

‏119:139 צִמְּתַתְנִי קִנְאָתִי כִּישָׁכְחוּ דְבָרֶיךָ צָרָי
My zeal incenses me, for my adversaries have forgotten Your words.
‏119:141 צָעִיר אָנֹכִי וְנִבְזֶה פִּקֻּדֶיךָ, לֹא שָׁכָחְתִּי.
 I am young and despised; I have not forgotten Your precepts.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Please visit: (The Greatest lectures on Earth).
http://torahanytime.com/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Yossi_Mizrachi/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Zecharia_Wallerstein/

Offline RationalThought110

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2007, 10:15:27 AM »
I put a space in between the paragraphs.