Author Topic: Matisyahu  (Read 4492 times)

Offline Eliezer Ben Avraham

• Master JTFer
Matisyahu
« on: November 17, 2007, 09:34:27 PM »
I haven't listened to much of his music, but do people think he is good for Jewry or not?
KAHANE TZADAK!

Offline MassuhDGoodName

• Ultimate JTFer
Re: Matisyahu
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2007, 10:13:57 PM »
Re:  "...Chaim doesn't like him because he copies off of schvartza music..."

I tend to share this view...his "act" seems to be more like a freak show than a serious presentation.  As a person he may be the most likeable personality in the world, but in my opinion reggae is best done by its originators, the Jamaicans.

• Master JTFer
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2007, 10:58:31 PM »
Re:  "...Chaim doesn't like him because he copies off of schvartza music..."

I tend to share this view...his "act" seems to be more like a freak show than a serious presentation.  As a person he may be the most likeable personality in the world, but in my opinion reggae is best done by its originators, the Jamaicans.
He is still an Orthodox Jew though.... I assume Hadag Nahash would fall under the same category?
KAHANE TZADAK!

Offline OdKahaneChai

• Master JTFer
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2007, 12:17:54 AM »
I don't agree with Chaim as far as Matisyahu, I think his music is more Jewish than anything else, and I actually like it a lot.

And why would Hadag Nachash fall under the same category as Matisyahu?  They are certainly not religious...

One does not deal with terrorists; one does not bargain with terrorists; one kills terrorists.
- Rabbi Meir Kahane ZT"L, HY"D

Offline RationalThought110

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2007, 12:36:27 AM »
I don't agree with Chaim as far as Matisyahu, I think his music is more Jewish than anything else, and I actually like it a lot.

And why would Hadag Nachash fall under the same category as Matisyahu?  They are certainly not religious...

Explain more why you disagree with Chaim and MassuhDGoodName.  They are both very intelligent so expand your argument. 

Offline OdKahaneChai

• Master JTFer
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2007, 01:26:37 PM »

Explain more why you disagree with Chaim and MassuhDGoodName.  They are both very intelligent so expand your argument. 
Like I said, I think his music is more Jewish than anything else - it sounds nothing like anything you'd hear from any Reggae group.

One does not deal with terrorists; one does not bargain with terrorists; one kills terrorists.

Offline MassuhDGoodName

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2007, 02:33:40 PM »
The old saying holds truth:

There is no accounting for taste!

Matisyahu expresses himself artistically as he chooses; some approve, and some disapprove.

His act may serve as the catalyst whereby some young non-observant young Jews see and hear his "reggae" and begin to rediscover their heritage.

In a free enterprise country, we generally vote with our dollars on whether or not we support the work of artists and entertainers.

Offline TANGO1

• New JTFer
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2007, 07:10:35 PM »
he is heard world O0 wide ............other people lisen to him
you can t lock the rest of the world out...........
he is our ambassador............i have sent many of his cd to people that have never seen a jew.........

• Master JTFer
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2007, 07:23:31 PM »
he is heard world O0 wide ............other people lisen to him
you can t lock the rest of the world out...........
he is our ambassador............i have sent many of his cd to people that have never seen a jew.........

but is he accurately portraying Judaism and Jewish culture or just manipulating it for his own pursuit?
KAHANE TZADAK!

Offline jdl4ever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2007, 09:07:51 PM »
I like Matisyahu.  He shows a lot of Jewish pride.
"Enough weeping and wailing; and the following of leaders & rabbis who are pygmies of little faith & less understanding."
"I believe very much in a nation beating their swords into plowshears but when my enemy has a sword I don't want a plowshear"
-Rabbi Meir Kahane Zs'l HYD

Offline JTFFan

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2007, 05:51:46 AM »
I like Matisyahu.  He shows a lot of Jewish pride.

Yes, he's very patriotic and righteous O0

Offline Judeophile

• New JTFer
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2007, 10:01:01 AM »
Please remember that Matisyahu is reaching many many people who would not normally be exposed to the messages of Judaism that he puts out there.  His song Jerusalem is a song that no artist would do today in the popular culture--they only sing of womanising and money.  I played some of it for a Christian woman I know, and she immediately embraced it as did her children.  He is full of Biblical references, and if he reaches people with the message of Zionism who would certainly not get it from any other mainstream artist on the radio, then his musical style should be secondary to the deeply religious emotions and imagery of his lyrics.  He sells a lot of records and has been nominated for a grammy award. 

Surely he is better for the young people than gangster rap!

Offline qwerty

• Junior JTFer
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2007, 10:45:52 AM »
I've seen matisyahu before, technically his music is praise to G-d, so more power to him.

Offline judeanoncapta

• Master JTFer
  • Rebuild it now!!!!
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2008, 04:07:25 PM »
My brother is friends with Matisyahu.

They went to Yeshiva together. Matisyahu is a good Jew.
Post questions here for the ASK JUDEA TORAH SHOW

my blog: Yehudi-Nation

Who is truly wise? He who can see the future. I see tommorow today and I want to end it - Rabbi Meir Daweedh Kahana

Offline OdKahaneChai

• Master JTFer
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2008, 09:28:35 PM »
My brother is friends with Matisyahu.

They went to Yeshiva together. Matisyahu is a good Jew.
Really?  At 770?