Author Topic: FOR THOSE THAT USE AOL  (Read 4146 times)

Offline MasterWolf1

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • RESIST NOW!!!
FOR THOSE THAT USE AOL
« on: August 26, 2006, 11:28:30 AM »
I use normally the AOL browser and I noticed when I get the forum or JTF in praticular on the aol browser it takes for ever to open, when I use the MSN browser or Internet Explorer I don't have the same problem. Does anyone else has this issue if they are on AOL.. I do sometimes wonder about AOL browser and why it takes time when it comes to JTF only.  All other sites work fine. I do remember a while back every Wed.  It would not be showing the new updates till Thurs.  And it was only JTF's website. So again I ask is there something with AOHell when it comes to JTF?
RIGHT WING AMERICAN AND PROUD OF IT. IF YOU WANTED TO PROVE YOU WEREN'T A "RACIST" IN 2008 BY VOTING FOR OBAMA, THEN PROVE IN 2012 YOU ARE NOT AN IDIOT FOR VOTING AGAINST OBAMA!

Offline Panther76

• New JTFer
Re: FOR THOSE THAT USE AOL
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2006, 03:33:31 PM »
I had trouble yesterday when I signed on from AOL.  It happened only for this Forum and I thought it was just a glitch.  Apparently it's not only me.  When I use Firefox to go to the Forum I have no problems.  It's much faster and doesn't garble the text.

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2006, 05:12:25 PM »
I had trouble yesterday when I signed on from AOL.  It happened only for this Forum and I thought it was just a glitch.  Apparently it's not only me.  When I use Firefox to go to the Forum I have no problems.  It's much faster and doesn't garble the text.

AOL and its partner company Compuserve are on an overall decline and are not updating their browser. I have been using Compuserve for some time and lately it is working in less and less places and it definitely does not work on this new forum. For those people using AOL or Compuserve I have found that Mozilla Firefox will get you on the new forum. You can download it free at the Mozilla site.
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline jewishron

• Junior JTFer
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2006, 06:09:55 PM »
Same problem here. I use AOL at home and the JTF site sometimes doesnt load at all... if you notice AOL proudly displays a feature on its homepage called "black Voices" I wonder if we could get a hyperlink button for "Jewish voices"? Go to the Aol homepage and see for yourselves it is right there on the left hand tool bar called "black Voices"... unbelievable!!!!! 

Offline MassuhDGoodName

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2006, 06:34:02 PM »
Re:  "...if you notice AOL proudly displays a feature on its homepage called "black Voices"..."

I downloaded the New AOL Toolbar:
All that is necessary to display "Black Voices" is to right click on the huge "watermelon lips" applet and then left click on "open".
Immediately, the Media Player opens and begins spewing "Ebonics".

Offline kahaneloyalist

• Master JTFer
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2006, 10:42:31 PM »
AOL as a browser is awful the only reason I still use AOL is to IM and I like knowing who is online
"For it is through the mercy of fools that all Justice is lost"
Ramban

Offline TorahZionist

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2006, 01:14:33 PM »
AOL as a browser is awful the only reason I still use AOL is to IM and I like knowing who is online

You don't need AOL to use their IM service.

but anyway I suggest you get ICQ from http://www.icq.com It's an Israeli company owned by AOL, it allows you communicate with anyone from AOL and to send free SMS's to Israel.

Offline momofsixbabes

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2008, 09:07:54 PM »
Mozilla opens really fast.

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2008, 09:55:52 PM »
Why was this 2 year old topic brought up?

Offline Shlomo

• Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • SAVE ISRAEL!
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2008, 01:26:53 AM »
I'm actually glad it was. It gives me a chance to tell the members that AOL has given JTF grief in the past and marks all our e-mails as spam.

I would highly recommend using a difference hosting company that gives you much better choices and much better service. You don't want to support a company like AOL that took advantage of people and ripped people off (by not actually canceling payment subscriptions documented in the news) in order to be where they are today. You can still use AOL Instant Messenger without having AOL.

I also use Firefox. It's an excellent browser and I've set Chaim up on the latest version. You can download it here:

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/

And it has a ton of very cool add-on plugins.
"In the final analysis, for the believer there are no questions, and for the non-believer there are no answers." -Chofetz Chaim

Offline DownwithIslam

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2008, 01:35:55 AM »
I'm actually glad it was. It gives me a chance to tell the members that AOL has given JTF grief in the past and marks all our e-mails as spam.

I would highly recommend using a difference hosting company that gives you much better choices and much better service. You don't want to support a company like AOL that took advantage of people and ripped people off (by not actually canceling payment subscriptions documented in the news) in order to be where they are today. You can still use AOL Instant Messenger without having AOL.

I also use Firefox. It's an excellent browser and I've set Chaim up on the latest version. You can download it here:

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/

And it has a ton of very cool add-on plugins.

I use firefox too. So much better than aol. I haven't found firefox to be better than the internet explorer that came my windows vista pc though.
I am urinating on a Koran.

Offline P J C

• Master JTFer
  • Liberty and Justice for All
    • Take Back the West
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2008, 10:37:43 AM »
I used to use AOL. JTF took an hour but youtube and other sites came up in a flash. You are better off with google yahoo or msn. I personally prefer Google.
"A wise man's heart directs him toward the right, but a foolish man's heart directs him toward the left." Ecclesiastes 10:2

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2008, 11:12:04 AM »
I used to use AOL. JTF took an hour but youtube and other sites came up in a flash. You are better off with google yahoo or msn. I personally prefer Google.

Not very clear what you are talking about
ISPs? Web Browsers? Instant Messenger programs?  A mixture?

Looking at it more, you're probably talking about Search Engines.

I think most people know about Google.

Offline momofsixbabes

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2008, 01:03:18 PM »
No, what's with google?

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2008, 01:26:54 PM »
No, what's with google?

Didn't you hear that google is evil?

:)

muman613
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Shlomo

• Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • SAVE ISRAEL!
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2008, 02:00:13 PM »
Yes, Google is a very leftist organization with an agenda.
"In the final analysis, for the believer there are no questions, and for the non-believer there are no answers." -Chofetz Chaim

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2008, 02:02:18 PM »
Yes, Google is a very leftist organization with an agenda.

I will be writing a piece on my blog about this. Google news site, which I used to use, was so biased in favor of Obama it is not funny. Beside Obama visited Google headquarters several times. I just learned last week that an executive from Google was tapped by Obama to be in the cabinet... That is a fair and balanced company who is only out for the good of mankind.... Yeah right... buddy...

muman613
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2008, 04:12:10 PM »
I agree with Shlomo and Dan Ben Noah.  Firefox is the way to go.  Or there's another browser called Flock which is also very interesting.  Both are free.

Offline Abben

• Master JTFer
  • Down with obama!
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2008, 05:26:30 PM »

Same here also aol browser is always slow. Firefox is the way to go actually. And its free to download. I would use aim for im but my mom loves her aol mail.

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2008, 05:27:00 PM »
I agree with Shlomo and Dan Ben Noah.  Firefox is the way to go.  Or there's another browser called Flock which is also very interesting.  Both are free.

I would suspect that Opera is faster than FF.

Opera is Excellent and has always been very good. Very fast.

Mozilla was rubbish for years and has improved speed and usability very slowly.. The big advantage of FF over other browsers is its plug-ins/extensions, that's the thing it has improved quickly on. Though they can use up more RAM.

If you just want a browser , more secure than IE. Then Opera is excellent.

If you want the advantage of plugins/extensions.. then FF.

It's not about choosing, with one being "the way to go". One can happily use many.  That inclues IE e.g. if a website isn't showing right in another browser, better to use IE only for websites that are definitely safe. A nice thing about IE is you can launch it quickly start..run..iexplore<ENTER>, and it's pre-installed.  They are all browsers with their advantages and one doesn't have to choose one and only one.

Offline Shlomo

• Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • SAVE ISRAEL!
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2008, 06:33:20 PM »

Opera is a very fast browser but has a problem with a lot of javascripts and style layouts. I had a lot of hope for Opera but it didn't work out for me on the PC platform. It is, however, about the best mobile device and cell phone browser you can find.

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2008, 06:43:52 PM »

Opera is a very fast browser but has a problem with a lot of javascripts and style layouts. I had a lot of hope for Opera but it didn't work out for me on the PC platform. It is, however, about the best mobile device and cell phone browser you can find.

this is only a big downside if one is doing web development in the computer industry  (since the industry , some within it anyway, would favour a snazzy website  even if it doesn't display right in some browser like Opera that most people don't use.  )

That only applies to a techie in a very specific situation.

But for a sensible end user, or any other techie  , that just wants to view a website and doesn't care about other stuff, and has little patience with features so snazzy that they don't display in Opera. Then they don't care.

Infact, at least outside of industry, if a techie was writing a website, he'd want good browser compatibility , particularly with Opera, which is a nice one for techies (and even for end users too, now).

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2008, 07:53:33 PM »
Shalom,

Ive been a big Firefox fan since it's initial release. Before that I used Mozilla and Netscape... I never really liked IE from the beginning. I only use it on my laptop which runs Vista.

muman613