Author Topic: What is JTFs and its Members view on Martial arts?  (Read 3696 times)

Offline Serbian Cetnik (šumadinac)

• Pro JTFer
    • Military Photos and Forum
What is JTFs and its Members view on Martial arts?
« on: December 09, 2007, 05:33:41 PM »
Myself, I love martial arts especially Krav maga and MMA, I follow UFC fights and enjoy them.

I'm currently training tae-kwan-do and i'll be starting on Krav Maga after new years. Have to be cleared by the president of Swedish Krav Maga, Nice security you have guys;D

The funny thing there were actually two Balestinians with me and tried to join, the trainer started to laugh.

Offline Sarah

• Ultimate JTFer
Re: What is JTFs and its Members view on Martial arts?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2007, 05:49:42 PM »
Martial Arts are great but better to learn for pure fighting not just tournament tricks.

I do, K-Kwon-do, its like Tae-kwon do except you don't stretch out on the joint and use full impact so you can't do sparring, just practice on Shields.

ftf

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2007, 05:51:58 PM »
Martial Arts are great but better to learn for pure fighting not just tournament tricks.

I do, K-Kwon-do, its like Tae-kwon do except you don't stretch out on the joint and use full impact so you can't do sparring, just practice on Shields.
I don't see how anyone could enjoy a martial art without sparring, sparring is one of the most enjoyable things there is.

Offline Sarah

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2007, 05:54:23 PM »

I don't see how anyone could enjoy a martial art without sparring, sparring is one of the most enjoyable things there is.

The whole purpose of k-kwon-do is to knock people out, so we can just do the actions. It is great fun, except for the screaming.

ftf

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2007, 06:04:41 PM »

The whole purpose of k-kwon-do is to knock people out, so we can just do the actions. It is great fun, except for the screaming.
If you never practice it on another person, how do you know you'll be able to do it if you have to?

Offline Sarah

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2007, 06:20:23 PM »

If you never practice it on another person, how do you know you'll be able to do it if you have to?

We do it full impact on body sheilds that another person is wearing and controlling. And the wrist grabs we learn the technique and practice it on another person but not with force.

Offline ASHISH

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2007, 06:23:33 PM »
Yoga vs Kung fu.After watching this video you guys will ditch kung fu :P

http://youtube.com/watch?v=FrYlNNy929Y

Offline JTFFan

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2007, 07:48:44 PM »

Well, I guess it depends if some maniac is going to attack you or not, but I think you have to practice. ;)

Kiwi

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2007, 11:54:03 PM »
Martial arts I think is a most for everyone to learn, it allows you to master your own body and soul. It teaches you to use strength in defence rather than spasmotic attacks.

It allows you to focus and clear you train of thought to one goal.

It kepts you physically and mentally fit.

Offline Serbian Cetnik (šumadinac)

• Pro JTFer
    • Military Photos and Forum
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2007, 01:07:31 AM »
Very nice points everybody, but i have to agree with Ftf, without sparring its just a martial ART. Now krav maga is pure danger:P

Offline OdKahaneChai

• Master JTFer
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2007, 01:18:20 AM »
Yoga vs Kung fu.After watching this video you guys will ditch kung fu :P

http://youtube.com/watch?v=FrYlNNy929Y
Avodah Zarah will never win! 

And personally, I prefer the art of Pistol Fu...

One does not deal with terrorists; one does not bargain with terrorists; one kills terrorists.
- Rabbi Meir Kahane ZT"L, HY"D

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2007, 06:28:57 AM »
Yes i like it and have practiced martial arts i started young my father forced me then   as i got a little older i loved it and was gratefull,ACK sparing is a must The head of the ACK Richard Barathy as a matter of fact used to encourage the students to get into real fights :-\ :o                    

http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=721
« Last Edit: December 10, 2007, 09:06:29 AM by mord »
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline takebackourtemple

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Master JTFer
  • May this be the year that the temple is liberated.
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2007, 06:42:30 AM »

I hate to spar. I just don't want to get my teeth knocked out if I don't have to. While sparring helps develop combat experience and physical strength, it is not the same thing as self defense. If you watch the MMA, you see that the wrestler usually has the advantage over the guy who's looking to score a knockout. This doesn't mean that sparring is unimportant though. Some schools will not do a certain aspect of the martial arts in favor of others. In truth, sparring, forms, self-defense techniques, board breaking and everything else I did not mention are all important.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2007, 06:40:24 PM by takebackourtemple »
Does it bother you that you have to face the dome and the rock to say the sh'ma?

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2007, 08:59:36 AM »
I used to be good friends with Matti he is one of toughest guys i would say in the world and he's Jewish                
Account Closed

Re: Richard Barathy/American Combat Karate

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i am currently in the process of researching through family and old friends, where Richie Barathy's former black belts are and if they are training. by the time i joined his school Barathy was called "Kioshi" since he was a sixth degree black belt. He did train with Howard Taig (not sure of spelling) whom i believed trained under Bruce lee for a time. Sensei Ron McCaffery, sensei Matthew Willing, renchei Dave Greene and renchei John Russel were among his best black belts and many were in 'Nam together. It usually took about ten years of serious training to get to black belt in this school unlike just a few years in others. The first school that i went to in 1979 was in Lynbrook, N.Y.
Sometime in the mid '80s another school opened up in Huntington, N.Y. I also
have a handful of photos and a video of kioshi in Madison Square Garden doing his thing. One time i went to pick up the 17 slabs of 1" thick granite that he broke at his school for a PM Magazine show, however this time not on fire. One time he burned much of his hair off. We were a very tight family both the black belts and the students and we used to have seminars in the mountains and have change of scenery for training and do a substantial amount of partying at night. The degree of focus and intensity was amazing among kioshi and the rest, even the brown belts. We were predominantly taught self defense and street fighting techniques, floor fighting, three or four on one, some weaponry and a ton of sparring,... brutal sparring! I believe there was about 13 different styles of martial arts being taught on a regular basis and to my memory Tae Kwon Do, Ju Jitsu, Tai Zen, and earlier forms of Ninja were used. I have some pretty incredible stories of some of the things that the black belts did but i could go on for ever so while i'm doing some research on what happened to everyone from the school fell free to write and ask what you'd like to know and i'll try to answer the best i can. And Brian who wrote in, and who was a student before myself is right in saying that kioshi lost his right eye while playing stick fighting as a kid. He also had a round belly early on with a huge diagonal scar across it from an operation. Later on he might have juiced it a bit cause he was in incredible shape but kind of puffy skinned. Either way the man was more than a man. tbar

Me Talking.. Richard Barathy did not lose his eye stick fighting as a kid he lost it to cancer
« Last Edit: December 10, 2007, 10:00:16 AM by mord »
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline Husar

• Ultimate JTFer
  • I drink wine out of nazis' skulls.
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2007, 10:59:21 AM »
Kalashnik-do is much more efficient...

;)
"HUSSARORUM ALIAS RACOW"
"Hussar alias Rac (Serb)"

http://www.myarmoury.com/feature_hussars.html
"Hussar or gussar originally meant "a robber" in Serbian. These horsemen served not only under the Polish and Lithuanian colors but also under those of the Holy Roman Emperor;"
http://www.husaria.jest.pl/rys.html
"Bardzo prawdopodobne, że początek swego istnienia husarze zawdzięczają Serbom. Po klęsce na Kosowym Polu w roku 1389 wszędzie szukali okazji do pomsty na Turkach.
Jan Długosz zapisał pod rokiem 1463, że w bitwie nad Sawą bił się Cohors Raczanorum (oddział Raców - Serbów). Po śmierci króla Macieja Korwina Serbowie udali się do Polski, aby kontynuować walkę z Turkami po usarsku."
http://www.angelfire.com/mi4/polcrt/WingedHussar.html
"The hussar concept began in Serbia, near the end of the 14th century. In the 16th century, painted wings or winged claws began to appear on cavalry shields. Wings were originally attached to the saddle and later to the back. In 1645, Col. Szczodrowski was said to have used ostrich wings.
In 1500, the Polish Treasury books make reference to hussars. Early on, they were foreign mercenaries, and were called Racowie from "Rascia" a word meaning "of Serbia." They came from the Serbian state of Ras."
http://www.fanaticus.org/DBA/armiesofthefanatici/DarrenBuxbaum/LaterSerbs/
"Serbian Gussars"
http://ac.bondurand.com/liste332.htm
"Les serbes avaient reconnu la nécessité d'une cavalerie légère, (...) ils développèrent leur propre cavalerie légère, les GUSARS ou USARS, d'où sont venus les hussards."
http://www.armae.com/contemporain/144epeesetdagues.htm
"Originaires de Serbie, les hussards furent des cavaliers d'élite, connus surtout en Hongrie puis en France, et imités par la suite partout en Europe."
http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/1b772/a9330/
"The area around the present Zorinsk (Ukrainia) belonged to the Serb Hussar Major Vuyich at the end of the 18th century."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arsenije_III
" Arsenije III (...) was inaugurating new Serb infantry and hussar regiments that were sent to the ongoing war."
http://www.gatago.com/pl/sci/historia/19850502.html
"Jan Długosz pod rokiem 1463 napisał, że w bitwie nad Sawą, biły się
"Cohors Raczanorum" / Początki husarii w bitwie na Kulikowym Polu
w 1389 r."
--

CcCc

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2007, 11:01:34 AM »
Kalashnik-do is much more efficient...

;)

;D ;D ;D ;D

Shot at 2010-01-03