Author Topic: Giving to the poor  (Read 3093 times)

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
Giving to the poor
« on: December 11, 2007, 03:09:03 PM »
I think clothing the naked and feeding the poor etc etc are nice noble things to do. However, I feel that Jews should really focus on Jews and Gentiles to Gentiles. That's not to say that if a Jew were to see a hungry gentile that he shouldn't help him/her...but in a matter of pursuing these good causes, Jews shoudl help Jews and focus on them while Gentiles do the same while not ignoring a hungry Jew if they came across one.

What do you guys think?  Is this correct or wrong?
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

newman

Re: Giving to the poor
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2007, 03:17:10 PM »
Jews AND gentiles should concentrate on Jews first.

I don't think there are genuine poor in western Europe, Australia or North America.

What we call poor are living in luxury by turd world standards. I cannot consider western 'poor' (eating KFC, wearing $300 sneakers and driving motor cars) as poor.

Offline Sarah

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2007, 03:22:12 PM »
The Jews should help the Jews first and then the gentiles.
The gentiles, the gentiles first and then the Jews.

If anyone is truly suffering out of poverty they should be helped regardless of religion or race.

ftf

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2007, 03:25:07 PM »
You help those close to you first, that's common sense, but beyond that, I don't think any more should be read into it.

Offline Sarah

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2007, 03:26:29 PM »
You help those close to you first, that's common sense, but beyond that, I don't think any more should be read into it.

As long as you don't ignore people after you help those close to you.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2007, 03:30:55 PM »

I don't think there are genuine poor in western Europe, Australia or North America.

What we call poor are living in luxury by turd world standards. I cannot consider western 'poor' (eating KFC, wearing $300 sneakers and driving motor cars) as poor.

forget those for one second!  I"m talking about random acts of giving...that's all..
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline aggressi0n

• Full JTFer
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2007, 03:33:44 PM »
I believe in giving to the poor on your own will, but that on your own will thing is redundant considering Liberals say they give welfare to the poor, but it goes to the lazy people who have a house and don't want to work.

ftf

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2007, 03:35:23 PM »

As long as you don't ignore people after you help those close to you.
I said those close to you first not only. What I meant by saying that nothing more should be read into it is quite simple, whatever order you choose to help other people, it doesn't really matter.

Offline Dan

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2007, 03:49:02 PM »
I think that nowadays HUNGER and being POOR take on a New Meaning... there are Less people needing material goods and MORE and MORE People Starving and Living in Daily Sin as the Word Of G-d has been in Short Supply! No One Mentions That as being Essential as well...
If you can Give, Give to someone The Everlasting Gift of Life and Introduce them to the Bible and a Righteous way of Living.

newman

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2007, 03:56:35 PM »
I think that nowadays HUNGER and being POOR take on a New Meaning... there are Less people needing material goods and MORE and MORE People Starving and Living in Daily Sin as the Word Of G-d has been in Short Supply! No One Mentions That as being Essential as well...
If you can Give, Give to someone The Everlasting Gift of Life and Introduce them to the Bible and a Righteous way of Living.

Why not bless the 'poor' with a ticket back to 'mudda afrika' ?

Offline JR-Obilic

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2007, 05:36:34 PM »

That's very untrue.  Just look at Eastern Europe and the things people resort to for money.
All or nothing.

newman

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2007, 05:39:45 PM »

That's very untrue.  Just look at Eastern Europe and the things people resort to for money.

That's why I said "WESTERN europe"!

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2007, 05:40:16 PM »

My point of this discussion was not all of the evil poor people..I'm just talking about poor people..decent innocent people...

Kiwi

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2007, 06:25:48 PM »
You give what you don't need as long as it goes to the needy.

I give items to the op shop, but I never give money.

But there different poor here so my answer does not apply to the USA and Europe.

ftf

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2007, 06:37:41 PM »

My point of this discussion was not all of the evil poor people..I'm just talking about poor people..decent innocent people...
I don't think you can call all of the people who were dumper on the streets as children in eastern Europe and have ended up being prostitutes or worse particularly evil people, it is not their fault.

Offline MasterWolf1

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • RESIST NOW!!!
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2007, 07:22:44 PM »
I don't think that all poor people are evil.  Welfare slobs are not poor they just take advantage of the system.  There is a difference between that and legit poor people.  Like for example:  Parents who work hard with 2 jobs and still having it rough to make ends meat for their family.  It is good to help people but I mean good people the ones that deserve it.
RIGHT WING AMERICAN AND PROUD OF IT. IF YOU WANTED TO PROVE YOU WEREN'T A "RACIST" IN 2008 BY VOTING FOR OBAMA, THEN PROVE IN 2012 YOU ARE NOT AN IDIOT FOR VOTING AGAINST OBAMA!

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2007, 08:13:45 PM »
generally (at least Jews) should help those in their community first, and soo-on. 1 exception to this is helping the poor in Israel, which is an extra special thing to do (not only my words, but Rabbis words, I believe that it is also written somewhere.
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

‏119:139 צִמְּתַתְנִי קִנְאָתִי כִּישָׁכְחוּ דְבָרֶיךָ צָרָי
My zeal incenses me, for my adversaries have forgotten Your words.
‏119:141 צָעִיר אָנֹכִי וְנִבְזֶה פִּקֻּדֶיךָ, לֹא שָׁכָחְתִּי.
 I am young and despised; I have not forgotten Your precepts.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Please visit: (The Greatest lectures on Earth).
http://torahanytime.com/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Yossi_Mizrachi/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Zecharia_Wallerstein/

Offline Raulmarrio2000

• Master JTFer
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2007, 08:34:30 PM »
In fact, I am a Goy, but most of the money I give goes to Jewish charitable orgs in Argentina. Why? Simply because most Goyim here make fun of Kashrut and noone felt pity for me when I aimed to convert, and having my own money, I was starving due to the lack of Kosher food.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2007, 09:00:31 PM »
generally (at least Jews) should help those in their community first, and soo-on. 1 exception to this is helping the poor in Israel, which is an extra special thing to do (not only my words, but Rabbis words, I believe that it is also written somewhere.

Thank you Tzvi..this is the answer I was looking for...Just wanted to know halakhically the right way of doing it.

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2007, 09:42:26 PM »

Thank you Tzvi..this is the answer I was looking for...Just wanted to know halakhically the right way of doing it.

I dont know your exact location or to what you are looking to giving, but a couple of things/ charities are very good. 1- Tomhe Shabb-t - buying food for poor Jews (expecially elders) for Shabb-t, also in Israel their are many organizations who help the poor, with clothing and food.
 (like mentioned earlier), Jews not only need physical food, but are also in need of "spiritual food", besides to the poor (which is a tremendous mitzva), its very worthwhile to support Torah learning (and also learn yourself).  If you want a suggestion www.kolyakov.org is a very good organization with Torah learning. (This can be in the category of community)
 For Israel- you can donate to VGA which gives hot food to Jews in Yehuda+ Shomron, and other things like releasing prisioners (a very big mitzva, of which if a town had only 1 sefer Torah, they still would have to sell it in order to have the $ to release ..)
They also sponser Torah learning, and when you support Torah its like you learning (which is a very very big Zehut).

For yourself- also go on that site for example and hear some very great Shiurim. Toda.
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Offline Eliezer Ben Avraham

• Master JTFer
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2007, 10:53:32 PM »
money that goes to Jewish organizations should go to Jews first. If I give to the Jewish Fund or something, I am giving to it because it is JEWISH. If the Christian Missionaries came by I wouldnt give them anything, but if a Jewish organization comes by I would give. If I wanted to give to a non-denominational charity I would give to the Salvation Army or whoever, but Jewish charities must help Jews first
KAHANE TZADAK!

Offline JTFFan

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2007, 11:28:59 PM »

Why not bless the 'poor' with a ticket back to 'mudda afrika' ?

good idea, newman ;D O0

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2007, 12:32:37 PM »
money that goes to Jewish organizations should go to Jews first. If I give to the Jewish Fund or something, I am giving to it because it is JEWISH. If the Christian Missionaries came by I wouldnt give them anything, but if a Jewish organization comes by I would give. If I wanted to give to a non-denominational charity I would give to the Salvation Army or whoever, but Jewish charities must help Jews first

Your right, and that's why you should know to whom you give (in todays day and age). Sometimes it turns out that with the charity you give you can be causing a lot of sins (and you get "credit" for those as well). For example you can donate for a Hannukah party where it turns out that its mixed and their are different sins committed, or even birthright where you sending kids to Israel has them committing different sins just because of your $. And this list can go on and on. Thats why the best thing you can do is give for food/ clothing and learning Torah.