Author Topic: Clydesdale now a rare breed.  (Read 2646 times)

Kiwi

Clydesdale now a rare breed.
« on: December 22, 2007, 07:52:24 PM »
One of the most beautiful horses, very gentle giants.  :)

Offline Sarah

• Ultimate JTFer
Re: Clydesdale now a rare breed.
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2007, 08:02:36 PM »
How comes they're rare?

They actually look gentle in their face.

Kiwi

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2007, 08:09:06 PM »
Draught horses used to be the farm horse's and only forms of transport that was used until the invention of the motor car, then trucks and tractors took over.

The horses role in the farming communities were over.

They are one of the biggest horse breeds in the world. The stand well over 20 hands. Some of them their hooves can be as big as dinner plates.

Alot of money and work is require to keep them. And it just cost too much, and farmers stop breeding them.

newman

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2007, 08:12:59 PM »
I love the 'feathers' around their hooves.

Half-Clydesdales make good riding horses for novices because they are very gentle  and not prone to be flighty.

Offline Sarah

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2007, 08:25:33 PM »
Draught horses used to be the farm horse's and only forms of transport that was used until the invention of the motor car, then trucks and tractors took over.

They are one of the biggest horse breeds in the world. The stand well over 20 hands. Some of them their hooves can be as big as dinner plates.

Alot of money and work is require to keep them. And it just cost too much, and farmers stop breeding them.

That is sad though how can they then be efficiently saved? They can't survive as wild horses can they?

I love the 'feathers' around their hooves

They'd make good road side drain sweepers and then they could be used, and you wouldn't need to power vehicled ones. :)

Kiwi

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2007, 08:33:49 PM »

That is sad though how can they then be efficiently saved? They can't survive as wild horses can they?

I love the 'feathers' around their hooves

They'd make good road side drain sweepers and then they could be used, and you wouldn't need to power vehicled ones. :)

I am involved with a Draught horse rescue here, and no they can't be released as wild horses because one they are not native animals, and they have been breed to be working animals.

It would be like releasing a canary out of its cage, it would die very quickly.

The Horses we have currently sitting about 60. are used for shows and such.

They live well into their late 20's oldest one is 32.

They cost around $120 a week each to feed and shelter. Thats with out vet bills, equipment, and time.

We have around 14 staff working the animals every day.

I totally agree with Newman they are prefect quiet starter horses.

Very bomb proof.

They also Sarah the Horses the Knights of old used to ride.  :)

I love seeing them work, but also glad they don't, many farmers abused the animals, and worked them until they died.  >:(

newman

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2007, 08:39:28 PM »
The problem with most horses (apart from the feral brumbies) is that they can't live on wild grasses in Australia. They need improved pasture and/or feed which costs $$.

I can see a time when diesel & gasoline hits $10/litre ($37/ US gallon) that draft/shire horses may be used to transport freight locally in rural areas.

Kiwi

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2007, 06:42:49 PM »
The Horses in all their glory  O0